A few things for baseball "noobs"

Eggnogga

With this game being on sale this week, I've noticed quite a few people pick it up to play. I just wanted to point out some things for people who may not be sure how baseball works:

1) This would be for those going for the "Hit for Cycle" or "Perfect Game" achievements. If a player hits the ball and tries to stretch the hit into a double (or triple) and is then thrown out, it is still considered a hit. If he's thrown out at 2nd, it is considered a single. Out at 3rd is a double.

2) In order to get the achievement for hitting a home run with the pitcher, you'll need to play as a team in the National League*.

3) I'm assuming, based off of the teams, that this game is made in relation to the 2011 MLB season. I'll post a link to the final standings for that season, so you can get an idea of who are the good teams, and the bad ones. Link.

* National League teams: Arizona, Atlanta, Cincinnati, Chicago Cubs, Colorado, Florida, Houston, Los Angeles Dodgers, Milwaukee, New York Mets, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington.

Thanks for the info dude. I do have 2 questions for you, The double play and the RBI bunt achievement. I don't have a clue what either mean. Is the RBI bunt hit basically having the base loaded then make the home run with a bunt (X button) ? If so..I haven't even manage to hit the ball with a bunt once yet. As for the double play, I can't get my head around it at all..

Ok one last thing I promise, the 10 RBI's is basically the same as a Grand Slam but 10 of them with a single player?

Cheers.

Edited by Barad

Ok, a double play it getting two outs, in one play. So let's assume there is a runner on 1st base. The batter hits a ball close to or directly to second base and the second baseman or shortstop steps on second base to get the one out (from the runner that was already on 1st) and then throws the ball to first base to get the second out (the batter running to first).

See

for a great example of a double play.

An RBI is a statistic for Runs Batted In. So if there is a runner on 3rd base, and the batter gets a single, resulting in the runner on 3rd to score, it is an RBI. So anytime there is a runner on base and the next batter causes him to score in ANY way, is an RBI.

10 RBI = 10 Runs.

Grand Slam is a home run when every base is occupied = 4 runs.

To clear up the RBI bunt thing:

A bunt is basically holding the bat over the plate to lightly hit the ball. They never go out of the infield and they are never a home run. This is a bunt:

Baseball is a more complicated game than most people think.

Edited by TampaBayRays

@Bar4d -- I had a UK friend who was having some issues with the bunt for an RBI achievement, so I think I'm gonna make a video of it and upload it to YouTube so other people can see what I'm doing.

Basically, you want a runner on 3rd base and either 0 or 1 outs. Hold "X" to bunt the ball, and if there's no runner on 2nd, the pitcher will almost always throw to first. The issue is, the runner on 3rd won't automatically run home, so you'll have to hit "LT" and push "Down" to force him home. The pitcher throws to first getting that runner out, and you should make it home in time before they throw the ball home. Confusing, I know.

As for the Double Play, I've gotten this to happen twice, but it's all about luck. If the CPU has a runner on first and either 0 or 1 outs, and a ground ball is hit, there is a "force" play at 2nd -- Meaning, he doesn't have to tag the runner out, he just has to touch the base. So, you'll want to push "Y" to throw it to 2nd, and then "B" to throw it to first getting 2 outs = double play.

All I need to do to get the full 1,000 is beat the rest of the American/National league teams. So, I'll try to get a Bunt RBI, record it, upload it, and then post it here so you and others can see it.

As for 10 RBI's, since there is no "box score" you really have to remember who knocked in the runs. If you're going for home runs, you'd need to hit 2 grand slams and a 2 run home run = 10 RBI's. It really isn't difficult if you're playing a 9 inning game on Rookie, it's just difficult to remember who is getting all of the RBI's.

Ok thank you the both of you, I got both of the RBI achievements thanks to the info.

That video was quite helpful Egg. I didn't realise you had to hold the X button to pull of a bunt though, that's why I could never hit the ball. I got the bunt RBI when I had someone on 1st & 3rd. Also got the 10 RBI's in a 5 inning game. Just made sure I had someone on at least 1st & 2nd or 3rd then made a homerun.

I think I understand the double play now, but just can't get the AI to hit it as a ground ball.. Very frustrating. :/

EDIT: Yeah I don't think double play is ever going to happen or me, tried playing on all 3 difficulties the past 2 hours but they never hit the ball towards where I can catch it.

EDIT: Ok after 5hrs straight I finally got a double lol. Literally is 100% luck, finally the puppy bastard threw a high ball, I caught it, turbo, threw to first base and caught the second guy out.

Just need to beat all the teams & win a tournament for the 1000.

Edited by Barad

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Thanks for the info dude. I do have 2 questions for you, The double play and the RBI bunt achievement. I don't have a clue what either mean. Is the RBI bunt hit basically having the base loaded then make the home run with a bunt (X button) ? If so..I haven't even manage to hit the ball with a bunt once yet. As for the double play, I can't get my head around it at all..

Ok one last thing I promise, the 10 RBI's is basically the same as a Grand Slam but 10 of them with a single player?

Cheers.

As a baseball fan, this is glorious to read.

Not poking fun at all, because if you asked me about cricket or soccer... I'd have no clue what someone was talking about either. Just amazing how different our cultures can be regarding sport.