Am I wasting time? **possible spoilers**

juniorvarsity33

So, I've played A LOT of this game. And I've been reading the threads on here religiously while at work. Though im really enjoying it, I'm starting to wonder if I'm wasting too much time...

I currently have a level 9 Assassin, level 18ish Commando, level 21ish Gunzerker, and a level 24ish Siren. (I use diff characters depending on which friend I'm playing with). I haven't completed the first playthrough with any character yet... I've done just about every side mission when it becomes available to me... Some of which I've now done 4,5, even 6 times! I'm beginning to get bored, and I haven't even finished it yet...

I also spend a lot of time managing my generally low powered loot as I go. Many of which won't be around when I'm a higher level anyways....

So my questions are: If my goal is to get high level characters, with high level items... Am I wasting my time by not just going through the story in first playthrough and spending my loot hunting time in 2nd PT?

And, how hard would it be to try to get thru 1st PT without leveling up character on the side?

As always , thank you for being such a helpful and enjoyful (if not sometimes inflammatory) community....

And lastly, I don't usually play with anonymous people, but my close friends aren't around when I'm playing very often, so of the 125+ hours I've logged, most of it has been single player, and that's a waste of this game :( So if anybody is looking for another person to play with, lemme know: juniorvarsity33. Usually on between 3-7pst Thurs-Sunday. And most of day Mon,Tues,Wed...

Edited by juniorvarsity33

I started doing the same thing that you're doing, but I only had 2 characters. Even with those, I play solo, then friends want me to play in separate games, so I go to their games just to do those quests again. I did that about 5 times while switching back and forth. I just decided to run with one character until I beat the game on playthrough 2. If friends get a little angry at this, just say that you want to play this game and that you don't have time to wait for them or have them wait for you, or something like that.

Yeah I'd say you're wasting a good amount of time by not getting through the first playthrough with a character. You'll find much better loot in the second playthrough and you can always just power level your other characters. I'm just about halfway through my second playthrough and I haven't used any of the gear from my first playthrough since the first couple missions, it's all been sold off for new stuff.

I tried Axton for awhile but switched to Zero. I spend a lot of time exploring and picking and selling weapons. And that's after I look at them and see which one's the best.

I know I waste a lot of time...I'm not sure how much but I got the game on release but didn't play it for a few days, to finish another game. And with that, I'm just a level 15.

But I figure if I'm having fun, who cares? I don't.

Yeah I'd say you're wasting a good amount of time by not getting through the first playthrough with a character. You'll find much better loot in the second playthrough and you can always just power level your other characters. I'm just about halfway through my second playthrough and I haven't used any of the gear from my first playthrough since the first couple missions, it's all been sold off for new stuff.

Pretty much this right here.

Although, ChickinonaChain has an even better point - Are you having fun?

If so, then it's not wasting time.

Are you having fun?

If so, then it's not wasting time.

I am, but I feel it waning, as I've done the same parts over and over, and digging around for mediocre gear just to try to make my character a little bit better... I feel I do have occasional struggles while playing solo.... So I need every advantage I can get.

I want to start getting the good stuff, I just don't want to rush thru the story so fast that I'm not capable of surviving later or into next playthrough, but if the game stays adaptive to my level, then it shouldn't be too bad, right?

Plus, with all the games on the horizon, my BL2 time will start to be divided to the rest of the pack this winter..

I am, but I feel it waning, as I've done the same parts over and over, and digging around for mediocre gear just to try to make my character a little bit better... I feel I do have occasional struggles while playing solo.... So I need every advantage I can get.

I want to start getting the good stuff, I just don't want to rush thru the story so fast that I'm not capable of surviving later or into next playthrough, but if the game stays adaptive to my level, then it shouldn't be too bad, right?

Plus, with all the games on the horizon, my BL2 time will start to be divided to the rest of the pack this winter..

Then finish a playthrough with one character. I'm pretty sure, like last game, you can trade your weaponry between characters.

It depends, as long as you've been playing solo, then yeah it's more adaptive. If you have people jumping into your game with higher levels, it's going to make you feel weaker. Jumping into their game will eventually make you stronger. I wound up jumping into a buddies game while they were all around 50 and I just gained 5+ levels and now feel capable of holding my own.

Doing the same areas won't get you better stuff, just like in BL 1 and this one, the more places you go, the higher level the AI and you are, the better stuff you'll find. When I go back to Claptrap's place, stuff is way lower than my level 15. But when I went to Lynchwood, I found level 20 stuff. I can't use it but it was there. You're going to have to go out to more areas to level up, to get better stuff.

As for solo, that's how I'm playing too but I'm a Silver. If you have a Gold account and have friends who have this game, co-op with them and it'll change your mind PDQ. I played solo in BL 1 until level 35, then co-op with friends and never played solo to the end of the game, including all the DLC.

Doing the same areas won't get you better stuff, just like in BL 1 and this one, the more places you go, the higher level the AI and you are, the better stuff you'll find. When I go back to Claptrap's place, stuff is way lower than my level 15. But when I went to Lynchwood, I found level 20 stuff. I can't use it but it was there. You're going to have to go out to more areas to level up, to get better stuff.

As for solo, that's how I'm playing too but I'm a Silver. If you have a Gold account and have friends who have this game, co-op with them and it'll change your mind PDQ. I played solo in BL 1 until level 35, then co-op with friends and never played solo to the end of the game, including all the DLC.

Whenever I'm traveling around, I alway enter every area I see, even if I'm not supposed to be there yet.

I have a couple close friends playing it, but we don't play at the same time much. I'm always hesitant to play with random people due to diff styles... But I'm not opposed to it...

Whenever I'm traveling around, I alway enter every area I see, even if I'm not supposed to be there yet.

I have a couple close friends playing it, but we don't play at the same time much. I'm always hesitant to play with random people due to diff styles... But I'm not opposed to it...

I'm totally with this. I just hate people that jump in your game OR bring someone else that just takes advantage. A buddy jumped in my game and brought his friend which I wasn't necessarily opposed to but he kept picking up all the loot first and starting quests I didn't want to yet. If you're a guest, respect the host is all.

I tried to reason with him but he was pretty arrogant and normally, I'd just boot him and be done with it but I'm also the type where if I CAN get my shot in, I'm taking it. He was actually backlogging a couple sidequests I had (I had a LOT saved up for no reason) and was about to turn in like 5 of them to someone in Sanctuary. Just before he got to the spot, I saved and quit booting him (and sadly my buddy) from the game without him getting the chance to earn whatever he was about to AND he didn't get to save any of the loot/xp he had grabbed.

All he had to do was simply ask and be polite about it. Not even gentlemen-ly. I'd be open to "Yo, can we do this quest?".

Ask first is all.

I have gotten my Siren to level 50 and I will say if you want the best loot, you will need to finish up both playthroughs. This way everything (enemies, loot, chests, missions you haven't taken yet, etc.) are all at your level. Once at 50, pretty much every drop from any enemy, including legendary weapons, will be the level 50 version (sometimes they are level 48 or 49 though).

For example, I farmed Knuckle Dragger and got 2 level 50 Hornets and a level 48 Hornet. The damage on the 48 Hornet was roughly 6000 damage and the damage on both 50 versions was around 8500 damage.

Just before he got to the spot, I saved and quit booting him (and sadly my buddy) from the game without him getting the chance to earn whatever he was about to AND he didn't get to save any of the loot/xp he had grabbed.

Just so you know, when the host saves and quits, it automatically saves the game for everyone else before it disconnects them.