• Indian
    • English
    • American
    • Other

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to know what other countries consider to be "American" food. If you consider the fast food that we export at all indicative of the majority of our cuisine I find that extremely amusing.

Subway, McDonald's and Burger King are just 3 examples of what I'd consider "American" takeaway food.

If Italian includes pizza then I pick Italian.

This lol.

I only ever order pizza's or go out for KFC/Subway.

Yeah Italian food does include Pizza :p

Subway, McDonald's and Burger King are just 3 examples of what I'd consider "American" takeaway food.

Yeah Italian food does include Pizza :p

I'll admit that those 3 are pretty indicative of American drive-thru or fast food. So I'll accept that term for the purposes of this thread. Just realize that American fast food is not at all indicative of overall American cuisine.

Pizza as most people know it shouldn't count as a Italian. Modern pizza was basically created in America. It only loosely resembles what was created in Naples so long ago.

I'll admit that those 3 are pretty indicative of American drive-thru or fast food. So I'll accept that term for the purposes of this thread. Just realize that American fast food is not at all indicative of overall American cuisine.

Pizza as most people know it shouldn't count as a Italian. Modern pizza was basically created in America. It only loosely resembles what was created in Naples so long ago.

Look no further than Chinese food. I have two coworkers from Hong Kong who laugh at what we call Chinese food. They say its pretty much fast food junk to them. Just like how the American food response earlier was about McDonalds and KFC.

Chinese food ftw :D

Look no further than Chinese food. I have two coworkers from Hong Kong who laugh at what we call Chinese food. They say its pretty much fast food junk to them. Just like how the American food response earlier was about McDonalds and KFC.

Chinese food ftw :D

Most "Chinese" food is Americanized Cantonese. In my area most of the cooks are Mexicans. lol.

Its kind of true for almost all these foods though. A lot of what the entire world considers Mexican, Chinese and Italian is actually American food. Its food created in America by immigrants from those countries loosely based off their home cuisine. These types of places really thrived back when small business entrepreneurship was at its height in 1950s America. Then most of that food was spread throughout the world through the World's Fairs during the 20th century.

Edited by bigbear.

Burgers are German.

Hamburger.

Hamburg, Germany.

No. No it isn't. The hamburger as we know it was created in the US in the 1890s. It went global in large part because of its showcase at the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis.

A good friend of mine from Germany had no idea what a hamburger was until he came to the US. When people first started using the word around him he thought they were referring to someone from Hamburg and couldn't understand how that applied to food.

But your mistake ties into part of some of my above points. Pizza as we know it, Chinese food as we know it, Mexican food as we know it, Italian food as we know it...They were all created in the US and exported through the World's Fairs in the 20th century.

Yeah, in the newest Percy Jackson book, Percy asks for a pizza from a restaurant in Italy and the waiter glared at him:p

If you wanna include pizza as Italian, then include that in my list but normally American (Burger King) and of course fake Mexican food from Taco Bell.

Yeah, in the newest Percy Jackson book, Percy asks for a pizza from a restaurant in Italy and the waiter glared at him:p

If you wanna include pizza as Italian, then include that in my list but normally American (Burger King) and of course fake Mexican food from Taco Bell.

To be fair, I have had pizza in Italy. It's a southern Italian thing, so not the touristy areas. The pizza in Italy has similarities to the American version, it's the toppings that are so far off the original.

Anyway, the same is true of a lot of cuisines. The North American version of it is only loosely based on the source material. That goes for some Indian food, Chinese Food, Mexican food.... Haven't you ever heard the rumours about what you get if you order Chinese food by speaking Mandarin?