How to control the jet

megavolt419

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you have to use both sticks. it's like real jet controls, which are really hard to master on a gamepad.

just look in your options and it'll tell you what does what.

i just went 0-6 in a match trying to use the jets. never again. too hard to control and almost impossible to take anything out. maybe on the PC with 64 plays they're more useful.

Lol there is an overpowered land vehicle though .. i dont know the name but i used it the first game and went 54-11 on rush. Thats how i got the mvp achievo. Everyone in my squad was laughing even though they were randomers and french (me being english) the other team were getting raped.

I <3 first day noobs = easy xp

you have to use both sticks. it's like real jet controls, which are really hard to master on a gamepad.

just look in your options and it'll tell you what does what.

i just went 0-6 in a match trying to use the jets. never again. too hard to control and almost impossible to take anything out. maybe on the PC with 64 plays they're more useful.

On the PC you can use a joystick. Makes it SO much easier.

I've actually had really good luck with the jets so far. It's probably because I have over 1500 hours in BF2 on the PC, and the jets handle really similarly.

I've found the jets to be really useful in taking down helicopters, tanks, and other jets, but so far I've had had little success against infantry. It's hard to spot them until it's too late. I remember seeing an unlock though that helped identify ground forces, so this should make things easier later on.

To take out tanks, helicopters, and jets just remember to aim a little above and in front of your target, since bullet travel time and bullet drop greatly affects the planes, especially at distance. You don't want to shoot where to target is, but rather where it will be once your bullets finally get to it.

To the OP in regards to turning, you don't want to use the left stick. This will only turn the rudder and yaw the plane. While this will keep you horizontal, the turning will be extremely minimal. This is only really useful for fine tuning while you're driving and shooting at any enemy.

Instead, you want to roll left or right using the right stick so that your wings are vertical to the ground. While vertical, pull back on the right stick to pitch up, which while sideways, will pull you into the turn. Once you've finished turning, just level yourself out.

While turning with the wings perfectly vertical to the ground and the sky is fine for a beginner, you're just basically turning on a horizontal axis, which isn't super efficient. You'll eventually want to end up doing a yo-yo which is turning with your wings not completely vertical to the ground. This will add some verticality to the turn. This will not only make your turn tighter, but will allow you to quickly change your speed. Climb while turning to slow down and dive while turning to speed up.

And just some general tips for dogfighting. If you're chasing someone, it's important to note that a majority of people will bank right to turn. Use this to your advantage in predicting your target's path.

You can also begin to roll and pitch up in one direction to make it seem like you're headed off in that direction, but instead keep on rolling until you've done more or less a 480 and you're actually tuning off into the opposite direction in which you began. This might throw off your chaser.

Another method to lose someone who's chasing you is to drastically reduce your speed coming out of a turn. Your chasers will be going far too fast and not realize you've slowed until it's too late. Most inexperienced flyers will not expect this and will overshoot your plane, now putting you on their tail.

A final method if all your attempts to lose someone have failed is to turn on the afterburners by clicking the left stick and climbing vertically as fast as possible. Once you sense that your plane is beginning to reach it's limits, quickly roll back. Hopefully your chaser will not roll back in time and will fly too high, causing them to stall and lose control for awhile, giving you time to circle around and take them out.

Hopefully this will help get you started. Just keep practicing and you'll quickly learn a lot more moves.

Edited by AMIRITE 512

I've actually had really good luck with the jets so far. It's probably because I have over 1500 hours in BF2 on the PC, and the jets handle really similarly.

I've found the jets to be really useful in taking down helicopters, tanks, and other jets, but so far I've had had little success against infantry. It's hard to spot them until it's too late. I remember seeing an unlock though that helped identify ground forces, so this should make things easier later on.

To take out tanks, helicopters, and jets just remember to aim a little above and in front of your target, since bullet travel time and bullet drop greatly affects the planes, especially at distance. You don't want to shoot where to target is, but rather where it will be once your bullets finally get to it.

To the OP in regards to turning, you don't want to use the left stick. This will only turn the rudder and yaw the plane. While this will keep you horizontal, the turning will be extremely minimal. This is only really useful for fine tuning while you're driving and shooting at any enemy.

Instead, you want to roll left or right using the right stick so that your wings are vertical to the ground. While vertical, pull back on the right stick to pitch up, which while sideways, will pull you into the turn. Once you've finished turning, just level yourself out.

While turning with the wings perfectly vertical to the ground and the sky is fine for a beginner, you're just basically turning on a horizontal axis, which isn't super efficient. You'll eventually want to end up doing a yo-yo which is turning with your wings not completely vertical to the ground. This will add some verticality to the turn. This will not only make your turn tighter, but will allow you to quickly change your speed. Climb while turning to slow down and dive while turning to speed up.

And just some general tips for dogfighting. If you're chasing someone, it's important to note that a majority of people will bank right to turn. Use this to your advantage in predicting your target's path.

You can also begin to roll and pitch up in one direction to make it seem like you're headed off in that direction, but instead keep on rolling until you've done a 360 and you're actually tuning off into the opposite direction in which you began. This might throw off your chaser.

Another method to lose someone who's chasing you is to drastically reduce your speed coming out of a turn. Your chasers will be going far too fast and not realize you've slowed until it's too late. Most inexperienced fliers will not expect this and will overshoot your plane, now putting you on their tail.

A final method if all your attempts to lose someone have failed is to turn on the afterburners by clicking the left stick and climbing vertically as fast as possible. Once you sense that your plane is beginning to reach it's limits, quickly roll back. Hopefully your chaser will not roll back in time and will fly too high, causing them to stall and lose control for awhile, giving you time to circle around and take them out.

Hopefully this will help get you started. Just keep practicing and you'll quickly learn a lot more moves.

how do you even get in the jets? i have no clue first battlefield game i ever played. or any vehicles?

how do you even get in the jets? i have no clue first battlefield game i ever played. or any vehicles?

On the few maps I've played, they show up as a spawn point. You can choose your squad, the base, or the planes, but only if they're still on the ground. You'll spawn directly in the plane.

My first time in a jet, I didn't realize I could change the camera. I had no idea where I was or how to steer it and I was just lost in the sky for a good 5 minutes before I left the mission area lol.

Then I proceeded to realize I could use 3rd person mode...and flew 3 more straight into the ground.

I can finally fly them now, but they seem utterly pointless to me. Even if I am going towards a capture point or whatever at a good angle and fire my ass off, I never even hit anything whatsoever. I guess they're only good for some kamikaze attacks.

You can also begin to roll and pitch up in one direction to make it seem like you're headed off in that direction, but instead keep on rolling until you've done more or less a 480 and you're actually tuning off into the opposite direction in which you began. This might throw off your chaser.

Another method to lose someone who's chasing you is to drastically reduce your speed coming out of a turn. Your chasers will be going far too fast and not realize you've slowed until it's too late. Most inexperienced flyers will not expect this and will overshoot your plane, now putting you on their tail.

Awesome post. Mostly stuff I already knew from playing flight simulators as a kid, but great for most folks who are completely new to this stuff.

I can finally fly them now, but they seem utterly pointless to me. Even if I am going towards a capture point or whatever at a good angle and fire my ass off, I never even hit anything whatsoever. I guess they're only good for some kamikaze attacks.

Wait until you unlocked guided missiles...

It should be noted that inverted controls for the plane help out immensely. What I cant seem to find out is how to look behind you( d-pad down in the other bf's). Also, how to move your head around without moving the plane. I think it was LB and analog in bf 1943.

It's been a while since I've posted here, but my gamercard in my sig Hasn't updated for current stats...

Edited by AlienAutospy

Thanks for the mini tutorial Amirite. Some good tips there. I used to play flight sims on the PC back in the day, but it's been a while. As far as usefulness of the jets goes, keep in mind that right now most people can't fly jets or helis for crap, (myself most definitely included) but as time goes by more will get the hang of it, and competent jet pilots will have more to shoot at. I'm also told that some of the later unlocks for the jets help in targeting more things.