The combination of attention to detail and extreme laziness...

Apple2Forever

All the other humans are based on real people. Even TIM was based off a stock photo. If they didn't need to animate her face I see no reason to spend money on it.

It's a huge world they created if they need to be economical in some regards then so be it.

Personally I don't think they should have given her a face at all, then she could look like anything - which is a big part of Master Chief's appeal.

If they didn't need to animate her face I see no reason to spend money on it.

Time constraints, they had to cut a ton of stuff from the game already. Tali's face was probably very low on their priorities.

I get it that people who f**ked someone else in ME2 don't give a sh*t about this. But as someone who thought Tali was truly charming, who invested in that romance option, I don't think a goddamn cutscene is too much to ask.

Economical? Cut 5 seconds of Garrus or Liara being the same character they've been since the first game, and give me 5 seconds of Tali being her true self. It was lazy, and it was deservedly disappointing to the many fans who took the path I took. Why do you think it's the second most talked about controversy (besides the ending)?

Economical? Cut 5 seconds of Garrus or Liara being the same character they've been since the first game, and give me 5 seconds of Tali being her true self. It was lazy, and it was deservedly disappointing to the many fans who took the path I took. Why do you think it's the second most talked about controversy (besides the ending)?

It would take a lot of work just for 5 seconds, whereas they already have the assets and technology in place for the other two.

Tali removes her mask a few times and here face is never shown, for whatever reason they chose I don't think the face was meant to be seen. But due to fans demand the photo was a compromise.

It would have been better if they left it out.

Extreme laziness would have implied doing nothing at all, which probably would have been a better option.

They didn't want to put it in a scene because it would require a fuckton of work, and it would probably only be seen by people who romanced Tali. You don't see other scenes where people take off a hat or even a helmet, so the game engine might make it difficult to have a genuine unmasking scene.

Since it wasn't actually going to be animated in any way, and was just going to be a picture, it didn't make sense to devote much to it in terms of resources. Having someone create a new image digitally would have taken a lot more time, especially if they wanted to maintain a realistic sense of lighting. Using a real image was more practical. It was more economical to use a stock photo rather than hiring a model and photographer and taking a new one, and there would be absolutely no difference in terms of quality.

Basically, it was a confluence of pragmatic decisions, not laziness.

...of course, I often say, "I'm not lazy, I'm just an efficiency expert!" in RL, so take this with several grains of salt.

Edited by Ethereal235

All the other humans are based on real people. Even TIM was based off a stock photo. If they didn't need to animate her face I see no reason to spend money on it.

It's a huge world they created if they need to be economical in some regards then so be it.

Personally I don't think they should have given her a face at all, then she could look like anything - which is a big part of Master Chief's appeal.

i keep hearing this comparison to Master Chief and i have to call BS, the difference is MC is pretty much as bland and vanilla a character as the gaming world can create, he could be pretty much anything under that helmet and we have no reason to give a crap, he's just something that moves and shoots stuff. Tali on the other hand is somebody with a personality and somebody that has been given a lot of emotional investment as an actual character, not a prop like MC. thats the difference

i keep hearing this comparison to Master Chief and i have to call BS, the difference is MC is pretty much as bland and vanilla a character as the gaming world can create, he could be pretty much anything under that helmet and we have no reason to give a crap, he's just something that moves and shoots stuff. Tali on the other hand is somebody with a personality and somebody that has been given a lot of emotional investment as an actual character, not a prop like MC. thats the difference

Agreed, at the end of Halo 3, I didn't even care to see his face. When I look at MC I just take him as what I see. MC to me is that full suit of green armor. Tali, on the other hand, has a very well detailed personality that extends light years beyond MC's, so seeing her face is something I've always wanted to see.

A few moments won't kill her.

but that should've been them showing her face is pretty much the point most people have been trying to make, that scene was pointless otherwise and the picture was made even more pointless then that because of it.

i'd like to add here i don't give a crap about tali's face, she could be a hot chick, gerbil, garbage monster or talking robot fish. but i could see where people who do care would be annoyed