Buy Fallout 3 or New Vegas?

duff28

I have never played a Fallout game before but i have 100% Skyrim.

What would you recommend i buy?

Both? Haha, well, if you can't get both, then I'd say pick up Fallout 3 first because Fallout 3 will likely be closer to Skyrim in terms of gameplay. Also, I feel that while the setting of Fallout 3 was better, a lot of the gameplay was improved in New Vegas, so once you see those changes it may be harder to go back (every time I play 3 after a run of NV I always really miss the better animations, better weapon and combat systems, better role-playing, the better factions and so on.).

FO3 is much closer to a TES game in terms of it's framework (seeing as 3 and skyrim are made by Bethesda and FONV is made by Obsidian). FO3 has enemies that scale with you like Skyrim, letting you go almost anywhere you want at any level. In NV, enemies are at set levels so parts of the map have to be left alone at first.

Skyrim and FO3 were made for sandbox exploration above all else whilst Obsidian focused far more on the writing, choice + consequence and RPG mechanics for NV and these features are far superior that they are in FO3 of skyrim.

Lots of people dislike NV because they wanted bethesdas next sandbox game. The truth is that 3 and NV are very different games and if more people realized that and appreciated NV for it's strengths rather than whining about areas they think skyrim/FO3 did better then this game wouldn't have been treated by many critics and fans as the "FO3 wannabe".

Sorry for going into a bit of a rant there, I would say the safe option for you would be FO3 but I much preferred NV and I think it has far more re-playability.

From my own opinion, I like New Vegas a lot more. I have been a long time TES game player and to me, It seemed as if the storyline in Fallout 3 was very disconnected from the player. I never felt any such attachment to my choices nor what impact it had.

In New Vegas however, I felt that emotional impact much more which is similar to how I felt in Morrowind.

Fallout 3 is a great intro into the series, your character is as new to the world as you are so it naturally introduces you to everything. New Vegas is a better game in my opinion, but you probably won't appreciate all the little nuances without prior Fallout experience.

So get Fallout 3, then grab New Vegas later. There's no reason not to get both.

Veedrock is right. The NV experience is so much richer if you have that background in the series that Fallout 3 provides. If you buy 3 and play it to total completion you are gonna want to get NV so you should definitely should shift around some funds to get both. You can never have too much wasteland in my opinion.

Fallout 3 is a great intro into the series, your character is as new to the world as you are so it naturally introduces you to everything. New Vegas is a better game in my opinion, but you probably won't appreciate all the little nuances without prior Fallout experience.

So get Fallout 3, then grab New Vegas later. There's no reason not to get both.

Thanks for the comments, I've decided to get 3 and then get NV when I've rinsed it. Have been needing something to play until the new AC :)

Veedrock is right. The NV experience is so much richer if you have that background in the series that Fallout 3 provides. If you buy 3 and play it to total completion you are gonna want to get NV so you should definitely should shift around some funds to get both. You can never have too much wasteland in my opinion.

I need to play the Fallout 3. I got NV and have to say that game was awesome. I just started playing it again....

I bought NV the other day and i gotta say that i do kinda prefer it to Fallout 3... mainly because the story is much longer and the extra little things that it has in it.

Fallout 3 was an awesome game though don't get me wrong. Can't wait for Fallout 4 now, might go do some research :p

• 1 month later...

I have to say that I am not a fan of the Fallout series, I find the gameplay to be poor, the mechanics are generally terrible but I do find the story line interesting and it has filled a gameplay gap for me.

If you are going to get one, FO:NV is the better title, as long as you don't go near the human rights violation that is the Dead Money DLC (Shudders).

• 2 weeks later...