does anyone here actually like EA and there micro stuff

Fozki Razormaid

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howcome I never see anybody complain about the other companies and their awful DLC and shady tactics? Why is it almost always limited to EA and Activision? Capcom is far worse than Activision. Let's take a look at Turn 10 for just a minute. Go on the marketplace and take a glance at the amount of DLC for any of the Forza games, it adds up to about a hundred and fifty dollars. Or how about the fact that they include an achievement that requires you to have Kinect to unlock or another one that requires you to have a save file from one of their previous games?

Howcome I never see anybody complain about the other companies and their awful DLC and shady tactics? Why is it almost always limited to EA and Activision?

They quite deservedly take the brunt of it, but I've seen complaints also levelled at other companies, especially Ubisoft.

Capcom is far worse than Activision. Let's take a look at Turn 10 for just a minute. Go on the marketplace and take a glance at the amount of DLC for any of the Forza games, it adds up to about a hundred and fifty dollars. Or how about the fact that they include an achievement that requires you to have Kinect to unlock or another one that requires you to have a save file from one of their previous games?

I recall a LOT of people bitching about the Kinect requirement on Turn 10's forums before Forza 4 came out, for the simple reason that they won't be able to 1000:gsicon: the game. As for the DLC, there's only one that adds achievements, the rest are car packs that you are not required to get. And I see there's no Kinect requirement for Forza Horizons, so perhaps they listened to their fans.

They quite deservedly take the brunt of it, but I've seen complaints also levelled at other companies, especially Ubisoft.

I recall a LOT of people bitching about the Kinect requirement on Turn 10's forums before Forza 4 came out, for the simple reason that they won't be able to 1000:gsicon: the game. As for the DLC, there's only one that adds achievements, the rest are car packs that you are not required to get. And I see there's no Kinect requirement for Forza Horizons, so perhaps they listened to their fans.

Correct, Forza 4 requires Kinect and Forza Horizon requires a save file from a previous Forza game for achievement completion. I don't see what's so bad about Activision when it comes to DLC or microtransactions. It's blind hatred for Call of Duty so they get lumped in with the other bigger offenders. Until this week Call of Duty never had microtransactions, and if someone hates them for selling map packs that's just ridiculous.

Howcome I never see anybody complain about the other companies and their awful DLC and shady tactics? Why is it almost always limited to EA and Activision? Capcom is far worse than Activision. Let's take a look at Turn 10 for just a minute. Go on the marketplace and take a glance at the amount of DLC for any of the Forza games, it adds up to about a hundred and fifty dollars. Or how about the fact that they include an achievement that requires you to have Kinect to unlock or another one that requires you to have a save file from one of their previous games?

THQ included online passes as well, at least SvR 2011 and Homefront have them. Homefront also had one of the worst launches ever, when people couldn't get online because the server capacity wasn't large enough. Yet everyone is in tears over their bankruptcy.

I guess for a great many HC-gamer-wannabes bashing Activision and / or EA is an automatic parroted behaviour model they think makes them sound credible, possibly adult. Similar to how in the 60's, you had to have a poster of Che Guevara and hate America, or today when you have to hate your 'white privilege' and see the oppression of women by the hetero-normative phallo-centric patriarchy in each and every aspect of life.

THQ included online passes as well, at least SvR 2011 and Homefront have them. Homefront also had one of the worst launches ever, when people couldn't get online because the server capacity wasn't large enough. Yet everyone is in tears over their bankruptcy.

I guess for a great many HC-gamer-wannabes bashing Activision and / or EA is an automatic parroted behaviour model they think makes them sound credible, possibly adult. Similar to how in the 60's, you had to have a poster of Che Guevara and hate America, or today when you have to hate your 'white privilege' and see the oppression of women by the hetero-normative phallo-centric patriarchy in each and every aspect of life.

Agreed. THQ gets no sympathy from me. I couldn't even tell you the last game I bought that said THQ on it. It honestly might date back to Nintendo 64 days. The last one I even played was probably Homefront and I regretted the three dollars I gave Blockbuster to take it home for one night.

So, how come people aren't up in arms over the new Gears of War micro transactions?

It just seems like people focus so much on hating Activision and EA but let the "cool" companies slide with their BS.

You know because it's cool to let people buy double xp time. That irritates me much more than the option to buy backs to make weapons in Dead Space.

I love having the option to use micro-transactions. Does not mean I will use them, I just like having the option.

This is how I feel as well. Plus, I probably will use them.

The problem is when micro-transactions become pay2win transactions like in some MMOs.

When you start seeing micro transactions in MP shooters (or any MP game in general) that can be a huge problem.

We already have enough of a problem with shooter games rewarding players for how much they've played and not for their skill. We don't need to compound that problem by starting to reward people in MP games for how much they are willing to spend.

Until they start building games around micro-transactions.

Sort of my point.

So, how come people aren't up in arms over the new Gears of War micro transactions?

It just seems like people focus so much on hating Activision and EA but let the "cool" companies slide with their BS.

You know because it's cool to let people buy double xp time. That irritates me much more than the option to buy backs to make weapons in Dead Space.

Nah, maybe it's possible but I think it's actually worse than that. Obliviousness. :p No one cares. Fewer people to holler bloody murder is a quite crowd. Anyone even notice that it's out today? I didn't until you mentioned the game.

After Gears 3.... personally burned out on the series and don't care too much, several of my usual crowd I played Gears with feel the same, we're panning it in favour of different waters and sure we're not alone in that.

Aren't GoW's MT's purely for cosmetic items? Like Skins?

Not any more. In the newest one. If you spend 800 MSP you get 200 games of double xp. You can also buy "cheaper" increments if you want. Like 80 MSP is 10 games I think.

I still don't see how that affects people's game play in a negative way. If somebody has the money to burn, go ahead and knock yourself out.

Not any more. In the newest one. If you spend 800 MSP you get 200 games of double xp. You can also buy "cheaper" increments if you want. Like 80 MSP is 10 games I think.

You still have to earn the XP though, so it isn't like it is paying to win or anything.

I think games that use micro-transactions these days are starting to be mindful of not letting people just pay their way to the top.

Although you can buy an aid you still need skill to be a good player.

I don't care much for microtransactions for any game (especially Dead Space 3). In fact, I pretend they don't even exist. I shouldn't have to spend money on a game just to give myself an advantage. I can play the game just fine without having to spend money on tungsten and scrap metal when I can just get it on my own.

Though I have no problem with EA, I can understand why they're taking a lot of heat lately. These microtransactions certainly aren't doing them any favors.

I don't care much for microtransactions for any game (especially Dead Space 3). In fact, I pretend they don't even exist. I shouldn't have to spend money on a game just to give myself an advantage. I can play the game just fine without having to spend money on tungsten and scrap metal when I can just get it on my own.

Though I have no problem with EA, I can understand why they're taking a lot of heat lately. These microtransactions certainly aren't doing them any favors.

That's kind of my point. EA does it and the internet is up in arms about it and EA is a terrible company etc etc. Yet, Epic does it and.... nothing.

I don't like or dislike EA. Some stuff from them I like, other stuff I don't. But, there shouldn't be a double standard of bitching either. Know what I mean?