I really want to like this game… but

osakamitsu

And I do like it. But there is A LOT that I don't like and a lot that I am finding to be really annoying. Im getting extremely annoying while playing legendary. I think they spent all the development time on the graphics and not the mechanics.

Here is my list of everything that is broken and frustrating off the top of my head.

Gameplay

- My guy won't deflect a third of the time. He won't turn and face enemies properly when I tell him to and I get hit. Sometimes when I push the analog toward an enemy my character stands still and doesn't move.

-You can't tell fast enough what buttons to hit when do executions to get legendaries. Am I supposed to be psychic or memorize/guess which execution my character is doing and then hit them in time with the animation just knowing which color will pop up next. Dumb.

- If you're in the middle of a move and an enemy swings at you, forget trying to block/deflect cause you're already screwed.

More clarification from my post below: Im not saying that I can't handle the situation with two attackers. I am saying its stupid. When you are surrounded by enemies and the and camera sucks, a situation like that is just stupid. I can handle it just fine. I am saying its bad design. I am not saying two attackers from two different directions. I am saying two attacker from the exact same position and most often from the exact same position while two enemies are overlapping each other. Usually your character will block one but not the other. Hitting the A button quickly for bother doesn't work most of the time. Best option is to run away and dodge with B. But that is sloppy design.

-The camera screws you all time and you can't see enemies.

-The throwing pillas mechanic is broken. Sometimes I have to press the LT/RT button 8 times in a row to get him to throw one.

- Sometimes I have to push the x button 3 or 4 times to get him to swing. Wtf?

- Sometimes my character launches across the screen to do an execution. Very awkward and annoying.

- Sometimes I'll try to initiate an execution but nothing happens. I'll have to hit the RT repeatedly to get it to work and then I get hit by an enemy. Or sometimes, most commonly in multiplayer I will try to do an execution and my character will freeze and not do the execution. Though I am wondering if this is caused by lag. Almost like the game is confused with what my character should be doing. Happens a lot.

- When there is a lot of enemies on the screen and my character is surrounded, Ill try to attack one but my character will attack one I never considered to attack. Happens often. - Most of the time if two enemies come at you at the same time, you block one get hit by the other. Even if its them same direction. Best thing to do is roll to get away. But when you do the enemies rubber band to your position and extend their move set to hit you. This is crap.

- The upgrade system kinda sucks.

- Aiming with a pila and throwing it with RT doesn't suck nearly as bad as throwing them in combat but it sucks a little bit.

Other Glitches

-The screen will go black while loading sometimes and I will have to start the chapter over because my checkpoint gets broken. I will see a Black screen and hear the music, every time I try to reload my last checkpoint. Restarting the xbox does not fix the issue.

-During chapter 5 I had a giant mouse cursor appear on my screen. I guess it was part of the development tools. It was a stylized mouse cursor and it was on top of all the text in the middle of the screen and was very annoying. Lasted for most of the chapter.

- At the end of chapter 4 I had the character model for marius appear in front f my character with arms stretch out at his sides like he's getting ready for his animation rig and then it just shot through the door in from of me. Very strange.

- Game crashes on me and i get dash boarded. Many times. Kinnect causes this too with all games but I have it disconnected to avoid it.

Multiplayer

- In multiplayer your executions get stolen all time by the other player. But, what are you going to do, I guess? Well how about a scoring system that gives you a little more credit for beating the crap out of the enemy before your finisher is stolen by your co op partner out of no where cause they want the credit?

- No way to differentiate a double execution in multiplayer unless its by luck and both of you try to execute the same enemy. Usually only happens when one of you try to steal the others execution.

- Some of the executions are WAY too long. Yes, some are very cool but come on why have them that long in multiplayer? While you're waiting for them to finish the slow 4 move execution the other guy you're playing with is killing the rest of the enemies and getting all the points. Is there a way to choose which ones to use and not use? Should be if there isn't.

-Multiplayer is fun but 100 character levels is REALLY excessive.

-Booster packs are way to expensive while trying to nickel and dime us for real money to buy gold. Booster pack require QUITE a grind especially at tier 5 being (6000).

- I have had the game glitch while playing multiplayer and no enemies would spawn. Causing one of us to have to quit and lose all the experience points, gold, and time it took us. Happened a few times.

Just happened to me in single player as I typed this. My friend was supposed to break down a barrier so I could pass. Instead he just stood and stared at it.

- The The equipment stats in multiplayer sucks and don't really do much to improve your character, which really sucks. I understand they don't want to over power you and make it easy but isn't that the point of leveling? especially to 100!?! Oh wait no it isn't, they want you to spend real money on booster packs to mostly crap and random equipment.

Its fun when it works right but man there is such a long list of why I can't wait to finish this game and get it over with.

I can deal with the repetitive enemies and its difficulty. But difficulty is only fun when its fair and as long as my character is failing his deflecting and causing me to die then its not fair.

After all those negatives it's amazing I still like the game. But maybe it's because I am trying too?

Edited by osakamitsu

Im getting extremely pissed off playing legendary. I think they spent all the development time all the graphics and not the mechanics.

- My guy won't deflect a third of the time. He won't turn and face enemies properly when I tell him to and I get hit.

-The screen will go black while loading sometimes and I will have to start the chapter over because my checkpoint gets broken.

-You can't tell fast enough what buttons to hit when do executions to get legendaries.

- If you're in the middle of a move and an enemy swings at you, forget trying to block/deflect cause you're already screwed.

-The throwing pillas mechanic is broken.

- Sometimes I'll try to initiate an execute but nothing happens. I'll have to hit the RT repeatedly to get it to work and then I get hit by an enemy.

- Online sometimes lags causing your character to miss executions and get hit. Sometimes my character will just stand there and I can't move him. Almost like the game is confused with what my character should be doing. Happens a lot.

- When there is a lot of enemies on the screen and my character is surrounded, Ill try to attack one but my character will attack one I never considered to attack. Happens often.

- Most of the time if two enemies come at you at the same time, you block one get hit by the other. Even if its them same direction. Best thing to do is roll to get away. But when you do the enemies rubber band to your position and extend their move set to hit you. This is crap.

-Booster packs are way to expensive while trying to nickel and dime us for real money to buy gold.

- I have had the game glitch while playing multiplayer and no enemies would spawn. Causing one of us to have to quit and lose all the experience points, gold, and time it took us. Happened a few time.

Just happened to me in single player as I typed this. My friend was supposed to break down a barrier so I could pass. Instead he just stood and stared at it.

- Game crashes on me and i get dash boarded. Many times. Kinnect causes this too but I have it disconnected to avoid it.

- The upgrade system kinda sucks.

- The The equipment stats in multiplayer sucks and don't really do much to improve your character, which really sucks. I understand they don't want to over power you and make it easy but isn't that the point of leveling? especially to 100!?!

Its fun when it works right but man there is such a long list of why I can't wait to finish this game and get it over with.

I can deal with the repetitive enemies and its difficulty. But difficulty is only fun when its fair and as long as my character is failing his deflecting and causing me to die then its not fair.

After all those negatives it's amazing I still like the game. But maybe it's because I am trying too?

Honestly half if those problems you listed are skill based. The game isn't broken in that regard. The only valid thing I see here is that I get kicked back to home every now and then. That is happening to other games as well though. I just finished my first playthrough yesterday and didn't have a problem with mechanics. I'd watch a tutorial or something because these mechanics are fine once you get the hang of it.

Honestly half if those problems you listed are skill based. The game isn't broken in that regard. The only valid thing I see here is that I get kicked back to home every now and then. That is happening to other games as well though. I just finished my first playthrough yesterday and didn't have a problem with mechanics. I'd watch a tutorial or something because these mechanics are fine once you get the hang of it.

Skill based? No. not when the character isn't responding.

lol I just tried throwing a pills. I press the buttons like 8 times in a row while the character stood there and did nothing. I guess I don't have the skill to do it right. >.>

edit: And just now I had to press the x button 3-4 times to get him to swing. So who knows maybe my game/ controller is screwed. But this sucks.

Im half way through legendary so its not like I don't know how to play the game. If I didn't I wouldn't have made it this far.

Edited by osakamitsu

....a few of those are skill based man but I only had responsiveness issues if my batteries were dying

also I never encountered any glitch like the ones you are describing....at all.

that said I am fairly sure you cannot parry 2 attacks at once (just like in B:AC you cannot parry three) that is not a glitch, it is his how the game works.

I am not sure what you mean by the Pila system being broken.

Edited by crimzontearz

I had one instance in both of my playthroughs where the screen went black during a cutscene and I had to quit and come back.

Online enemies freeze ALL the time and I have to quit. But when I come back in my "lost" experience is waiting in the next game.

As far as if two enemies attack you at once. Not the games fault you can only block one at a time. Roll out of the way instead of taking those hits. Hitting the block button is not a magical block all. You still need to work in direction and timing.

Im not saying that I can't handle the situation with two attackers. I am saying its stupid. When you are surrounded by enemies and the and camera sucks, a situation like that is just stupid. I can handle it just fine. I am saying its bad design. I am not saying two attackers from two different directions. I am saying two attacker from the exact same position and most often from the exact same position while two enemies are overlapping each other.

How isn't the pills system broken? The button commands hardly ever work while throwing them in combat.

Yeah when I get the black screen I usually lose my save progress in the current chapter. The game will usually refuse to load my save file and I will just hear music. To fix it I will have to re play the chapter. Restarting the xbox doesn't fix it.

Dont confuse my skill with things that I feel are broken. I am good at this game but this game doesn't work right all the time.

Im not saying that I can't handle the situation with two attackers. I am saying its stupid. When you are surrounded by enemies and the and camera sucks, a situation like that is just stupid. I can handle it just fine. I am saying its bad design. I am not saying two attackers from two different directions. I am saying two attacker from the exact same position and most often from the exact same position while two enemies are overlapping each other.

How isn't the pills system broken? The button commands hardly ever work while throwing them in combat.

Yeah when I get the black screen I usually lose my save progress in the current chapter. The game will usually refuse to load my save file and I will just hear music. To fix it I will have to re play the chapter. Restarting the xbox doesn't fix it.

Dont confuse my skill with things that I feel are broken. I am good at this game but this game doesn't work right all the time.

That's just way I took it...if Marius just isn't doing what he's supposed to do on button presses that's gotta be irritating. Upon rereading your list I can say that I was definitely wrong about pilas. They're horrid! :(

lol whenever someone doesn't have the same issue as someone else, they always try to make it seem like it's skill based or said person doesn't know what they're doing...when they CLEARLY explain their issue.

i fucking hate people & the way they think man.

i experienced some of these same issues & i thought maybe it was just me. glad to see it's not. for some of the glitch related stuff, i powered my X1 completely down (hold the actual power button for 10-15 seconds), then restarted. seemed to fix most of the weird shit that was happening.

lol whenever someone doesn't have the same issue as someone else, they always try to make it seem like it's skill based or said person doesn't know what they're doing...when they CLEARLY explain their issue.

i experienced some of these same issues & i thought maybe it was just me. glad to see it's not. for some of the glitch related stuff, i powered my X1 completely down (hold the actual power button for 10-15 seconds), then restarted. seemed to fix most of the weird shit that was happening.

how "eaxtly" is not realizing Marius cannot parry, per game mechanics, 2 simultaneous attacks NOT skill based? Well it may be comprehension based or simply based on the desire to watch him pull off double counters ala Batman AC...

as for the pila, I never use them in combat, but I can see how the quick pilum throw is irritating

Gameplay

- My guy won't deflect a third of the time. He won't turn and face enemies properly when I tell him to and I get hit. Sometimes when I push the analog toward an enemy my character stands still and doesn't move.

You can't deflect hits that show up as red, basically enemy heavy attacks. Or at least the deflect has to be perfect. I basically just roll away when I see red.

-You can't tell fast enough what buttons to hit when do executions to get legendaries. Am I supposed to be psychic or memorize/guess which execution my character is doing and then hit them in time with the animation just knowing which color will pop up next. Dumb.

This is just something that comes with experience. I'm in the 80s right now in MP and I know which button is coming up about 85 percent of the time, just from repetition. I think the hit for legendary is tighter when playing on legendary in the campaign though.

I have this problem every once in a while, but for the most part attack cancelling is spot on.

Every 3rd person game ever has this.

Other Glitches

-During chapter 5 I had a giant mouse cursor appear on my screen. I guess it was part of the development tools. It was a stylized mouse cursor and it was on top of all the text in the middle of the screen and was very annoying. Lasted for most of the chapter.

You mean the arrow warning thing? I had this happen a few times, it was definately the arrow warning thing not going away.

Multiplayer

Every game that has MP in the last 5 years has this. At least the MP can be done solo, and at least it's somewhat entertaining.

-Booster packs are way to expensive while trying to nickel and dime us for real money to buy gold. Booster pack require QUITE a grind especially at tier 5 being (6000).

Na, this is fine. I've bought plenty of gear with in game earned gold that you get from leveling. I don't really get this to be honest. Games have always been grinds. Guess being a veteran of WoW I got used to it.

- The The equipment stats in multiplayer sucks and don't really do much to improve your character, which really sucks. I understand they don't want to over power you and make it easy but isn't that the point of leveling? especially to 100!?! Oh wait no it isn't, they want you to spend real money on booster packs to mostly crap and random equipment.

The only useful gear is focus stuff, everything else is garbage, so I agree with this.

The game isn't the greatest that ever was, but it's still decent. You can tell it was rushed though. I'll tell people to pick it up when it's on sale in the summer.

Originally Posted by osakamitsu View Post

Gameplay

You can't deflect hits that show up as red, basically enemy heavy attacks. Or at least the deflect has to be perfect. I basically just roll away when I see red.

Yes I know you cant deflect red attacks.... I dont attempt to even try too.

This is just something that comes with experience. I'm in the 80s right now in MP and I know which button is coming up about 85 percent of the time, just from repetition. I think the hit for legendary is tighter when playing on legendary in the campaign though.

That's bad design.

I have this problem every once in a while, but for the most part attack cancelling is spot on.

You dont get what i am trying to say.

Every 3rd person game ever has this.

Nope not every 3rd person game has this. A lot do but none of them have the camera THIS close to the character.

Other Glitches

You mean the arrow warning thing? I had this happen a few times, it was definately the arrow warning thing not going away.

No, an actual mouse cursor just like I explained. "Delvelopment tool" type of mouse. I know the difference between the two. I didn't JUST start playing the game. I said I was half way through legendary which mean my 2nd playthrough. I hope I dont confuse that with the arrow deflection symbol. But it was in the same spot.

Multiplayer

Every game that has MP in the last 5 years has this. At least the MP can be done solo, and at least it's somewhat entertaining.

Yeah but this multiplayer is bare bones and after character level 20 is going to be a boring grind.

Na, this is fine. I've bought plenty of gear with in game earned gold that you get from leveling. I don't really get this to be honest. Games have always been grinds. Guess being a veteran of WoW I got used to it.

I care about it because of my point above.

The only useful gear is focus stuff, everything else is garbage, so I agree with this.

how "eaxtly" is not realizing Marius cannot parry, per game mechanics, 2 simultaneous attacks NOT skill based? Well it may be comprehension based or simply based on the desire to watch him pull off double counters ala Batman AC...

as for the pila, I never use them in combat, but I can see how the quick pilum throw is irritating

Because it's not responsive and my freaking character just stands there. I said above sometimes I have to press the attack button 3-4 times before he will attack. Among other things. How "Exactly" is this skill? Come on. Im good at this game and I didnt just start playing it. If you guys somehow dont experience the mess of a game I am then congrats! I lost the lottery apparently.

Thank you. I love you. I feel like people are not fully reading what I am explaining.

Because it's not responsive and my freaking character just stands there. I said above sometimes I have to press the attack button 3-4 times before he will attack. Among other things. How "Exactly" is this skill? Come on. Im good at this game and I didnt just start playing it. If you guys somehow dont experience the mess of a game I am then congrats! I lost the lottery apparently.

dude....I don't know why you are experiencing this but I am not really, on soldier difficulty I can go through whole chapters without taking a single hit and my character responds perfectly fine GRANTED the game DOES NOT take well to attempts to block after a swing is already commenced but that is part of the gameplay as well. The only response issues I had were for heavy attacks (which require charging) not also that button mashing X Might be the problem as this game plays more like assassin's creed than DMC.

yeah but on legendary the window is so small you cannot rely on the prompt and it is all about memory and reading body language

Right, but that sucks. It's still the same across all modes. I wasn't talking about the timing. I was talking about how you don't know what button to press unless you memorize what the character is doing. And that is bad design.

dude....I don't know why you are experiencing this but I am not really, on soldier difficulty I can go through whole chapters without taking a single hit and my character responds perfectly fine GRANTED the game DOES NOT take well to attempts to block after a swing is already commenced but that is part of the gameplay as well. The only response issues I had were for heavy attacks (which require charging) not also that button mashing X Might be the problem as this game plays more like assassin's creed than DMC.

I definitely don't button mash and I understand the concept of the fighting. I have no trouble playing the game. I have trouble with the responsiveness. Awesome that you don't experience it but it REALLY sucks that it happens quite a bit to me.

I feel that is more fair than having to memorize all these executions. I can get legendary hits and perfect combos going, but memorizing all the executions just isn't fun or good game design. Might be different if you could tell the game which ones to use, but since there is so many at random its annoying. Others might enjoy it by I don't.

Alright mouse cursor thing happened again. Took a picture this time. But now seeing it again I guess it is the arrow dodge icon just with parts of it glitches out.Stays on screen through all cutscenes, overlaps all texts, and is really annoying. Doesn't go away. Interestingly enough, it only seems to happen on this level. So I was wrong to call it a mouse cursor but i remember it differently than this.

The new thing the game has been doing is when you hold LB to have archers cover you, the red bar fills and then nothings happens. Also if I die, it doesn't reload checkpoints it takes me right out of the level where I have to tell it to continue from last checkpoint. Something new goes wrong with this game every time I play it.

And to strengthen my argument about how having to memorizing executions is stupid and bad game design take this example into consideration. When you fight the boss at the end of edge of the world half way through the battle you perform an execution. Well this execution is only done 1 time in the entire game. How would you ever know it was coming? You have never seen the body language before. After you do it you, never do it again unless you replay this boss fight. Stupid.

http://i.imgur.com/IM09kc6.jpg

Edited by osakamitsu

Yep happened to me too. Get to a checkpoint and reload and it goes away. It only happens if you trigger a cutscene while the icon is on the screen. The other bug you are describing never happened to me.

also about the unique executions....crytek can have a funny sense of how to implement difficulty, but if you are familiar with their games you go in already knowing it (like I predicted WAY before the reveal that Ryse was going to pull a supernatural bait and switch)

Edited by crimzontearz