Why is Volcano such a bitch to gold medal?

CalacaDeMuerto

This just my ranty two cents about Volcano.

The entire rest of the game I was able to gold medal by myself/with other people on co-op. The 3 "hard" levels before Volcano...the final Vlad fight...all able to be done with just one person.

So why is Volcano such a pain in the ass? Who knows!

Single player I can make it to the final wave with between 90-85 percent left, and then out of nowhere something explodes/shoots right at the end, and cuts out like 10% base health out of nowhere. Same thing happened tonight, twice, doing 4 player co-op. Our best run had 90+ percent going into the final wave, and right at the end the base meter flashes red and drops past the "gold" level.

So yeah...F you Volcano :)

It comes down to proper turret placement (sniper turrets and flak turrets) and memorizing the waves. When you can remember exactly when a group is going to try to sneak in the backdoor so you can cut them off, things go much more smoothly. I managed to get it solo and my base was left at exactly 80% when I was done.

It comes down to proper turret placement (sniper turrets and flak turrets) and memorizing the waves. When you can remember exactly when a group is going to try to sneak in the backdoor so you can cut them off, things go much more smoothly. I managed to get it solo and my base was left at exactly 80% when I was done.

You should be my friend and help me get the gold :drunk

• 2 weeks later...

Just got this today with a buddy of mine, was the last gold we got and ended at 82%, so it was a close shave. We were struggling playing a defensive game most of the time, so instead we shifted to a more offensive approach, trying to clean mobs up as they spawned and hoping turrets at the base would take care of any that slinked by. Really, the major thing you NEED to have are 2-3 (or even 4) Flak Turrets on each side of the base to take care of aerials, because they can take it down fast as hell. Other than that, knowing who spawns when and where is a big help, and of course divide and conquer. I used 3 machine guns / 3 shotguns and Flak Turret / Slow down thing (can't remember the name), and my friend used 3 machine guns / Mr. Pancakes and Flak Turret / MG Turret. Again, it's really all about memorization...took us about 8 tries before we finally nailed it. Good luck!

• 4 months later...

A friend and I struggled with this one for a while, but we now have the technique pretty much down. I'll list a few basics:

1. One engineering chassis and one assault chassis is our reccomended loadout, we used a Selker and a Karlsson.

2. Weapons wise, Selker should be packing shotguns for quick kills, or a grenade launcher also seems to work. On the Karlsson, I used 3 "The Scythe" machine guns, a "fighting wolverine" sniper and a Brenneke's Revenge shotgun underneath that.

3. Tactics wise, first thing to do is get positioned. We had the Karlsson on the left hand side dealing with threats mainly from the left hand pathway and the Selker using it's speed to cover the right and the centre. Obviously the Karlsson can reinforce the Selker with added firepower where needed.

4. Turret placement is the real key here. Firstly, you'll want machine gun turrets up on both sides of the base as soon as possible to help deal with the Aerial waves. Aerials do a ton of damage to the base, so keeping them controlled is top priority. Get machine gun turrets down and upgraded to level 2 with one or two 3's before aything else.

5. Dampening generators are a life saver. They're cheap and they spread the waves out brilliantly, letting you deal with one set of enemies without another sneaking in cheeky hits on the base. We found the best place for them was a small perimeter just out side the base, ad then one on the centre pathway about halfway down, and one on the right hand side pathway. If you have spare scrap after dropping your slowing turrets and machine guns, minefields never hurt anyone.

6. One final but important tip, the largest group of Aerials always comes from the left hand pathway, so make sure whoever is guarding the left in the Karlsson thins them out as much as possible before they even reach your turrets, otherwise your base is going to take some hits.

Hope this helps a little.

• 1 month later...

Our strategy was pretty simple. Use flak turrets--LOTS of them--and don't waste money upgrading just build more. Also use dampeners, and the most important part, make sure you have 4 people, all playing assault chassis' with lots of guns, preferably machine guns and flak guns. Each person run out to an enemy spawn point and camp it, one person can stay at the base to cover but camping the spawns is the easiest way.

• 3 weeks later...

now that the dlc is out, things are MUCH easier. you will have better flak turrets in your arsenal and stronger weapons for the same shred price. Still used the flak turret/dampening generator strategy with the help of one stranger. 97% first try - never even came close before!

• 3 months later...

I just did this with a buddy, we failed the first try and got it at 84% on the second try. I did machine guns with sniper turrets and dampers. I also built a repair station by the base. He had machine guns and snipers and just concentrated on putting flak placements anywhere he could; no upgrading, it seems more bullets is king here. I had dampers lining each path at the end and we literally had no place to drop any turrets at the end.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Dual snipers and slug shotguns on your trench, if you have the DLC use the level 16 burst sniper. Use flak turrets over shredder turrets and put 3-4 on both sides of the fortress, upgrade when you can. Put dampers around the 3 main paths where enemies approach from, upgrade to level 2 each, 3 isn't necessary. Always put priority on sniping burst transmitters first, they will tear your turrets apart fast. Otherwise stay towards the center and pick off what you can at a distance, with right placement of dampers most won't even touch your base. I did this SOLO with 94% base health by the end of it, DLC equipment is a big help and worth the download.

• 2 weeks later...
i dunno but this game is pretty awesome. never would have played it if it werent free, may even get me into more tower defense games seeings i always looked down on them for some reason. guess im just an ignorant prick at times

I hope you downloaded Defense Grid a couple months ago also then, another great tower defense title.

Also check out the Toy Soldiers games if you are enjoying Iron Brigade.

I assisted a few guys already get Gold on this level, anyone else having issues i'll likely be back on this game tomorrow helping someone, just ask.

I hope you downloaded Defense Grid a couple months ago also then, another great tower defense title.

Also check out the Toy Soldiers games if you are enjoying Iron Brigade.

I assisted a few guys already get Gold on this level, anyone else having issues i'll likely be back on this game tomorrow helping someone, just ask.

I wouldn't mind the help. I've been playing solo mostly and have everything else gold except this one. I do well until the last couple waves and it drops into the 70s.

It took a few attempts, but I finally got a gold in this. With the help of a partner, I completed this by equipping lots of heavy duty weapons (sniper, artillery). Machine gun turrets was pretty much all I put down on the field. I did put down one dampemer to slow down the enemies coming from the left. My partner put down 4 flak turrets, 2 in each corner of the base. We focused on upgrading our turrets to level 3. In total, we had maybe 8 turrets on the field. This worked a lot better than having several weaker turrets (especially on the final 2 waves).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Me and my friend played through the campaign and got almost all gold medals our first try. Though I do remember volcano taking two. Dampening generators and lots of turrets both machine gun and flack turrets. I've always been partial to having 2 fighting wolverines and shotgun or machine gun underneath. Fantastic game. We love going back and beating the game all over again.

• 3 months later...