DLC "Side Vower" now available

Zonic505

What's worse, they patched out the ability to get the 1cc achievements in Co-op (even the original ones, I believe). As if that wasn't insulting enough, they don't even let you do it with a non-default number of lives; you have to do it starting from 2! Very few people will get ANY of the DLC achievements.

My advice: don't waste your money now on this mediocre shmup with its stingy achievements, let alone its DLC. Trouble Witches Neo is 10x better, anyway.

What's worse, they patched out the ability to get the 1cc achievements in Co-op (even the original ones, I believe). As if that wasn't insulting enough, they don't even let you do it with a non-default number of lives; you have to do it starting from 2! Very few people will get ANY of the DLC achievements.

My advice: don't waste your money now on this mediocre shmup with its stingy achievements, let alone its DLC. Trouble Witches Neo is 10x better, anyway.

You're pathetic. :)

Haha sure, hate on the game because you're not good enough to comp it legit. God forbid you should actually have to learn to play and get good enough at the game to earn the achievements :rolleyes:

achievements are ruining gaming, Tora.

I see the DLC achievements are now up (3 for total of 50G). Updated 1st post with link to achievement list.

Kind of disappointed that all of them are just 1CCs....

what would you rather them be? Kill 3 guys, beat one level and use 9 continues in a game? You know, stuff that involves nothing about the game.

Edited by Todaysforgotten

I'm fine with one of them being 1CC, but all of them? Seeing as they came up with some different ones in the main game (like not releasing the rocket in Level 4, failing all the missions, having all 3 weapons be swords, etc.), it would've been nice to see some variety.

Well yeah, but take it into consideration that its best to have a skilled co-op partner to do the extra 3, since I'm also trying hard and almost getting them due to careless mistakes.

Oh and Chris(Todays), no they aren't, to me, it feels like a challenge, but for you, it must be frustrating, isn't it. Although i know you're just into playing the games rather than "Meaningless Numbers" like you mentioned to me before.

It is really sad to see that a game is only judged by the fact of how easy or hard the achievements are to obtain. Throw in a few hard ones and the game is 'shit and a waste of money'. Just sad.

Btw I did the original Expert 1cc solo and on default settings. Guess what? It was FUN to learn the patterns and levels and to refine strategies. But I guess that would take up too much time, precious time where games like Avatar could be milked for far more points >_>

Don't get me wrong. I'm not judging the DLC simply on its achievements. I'm still gonna get it (even if it didn't have achievements) so I can replay the game. I just would've like to see some variety rather than the same achievement, only with different difficulty settings.

& you make a good point that by having a 1CC achievement, it makes people try to learn the game more. And that's fine. I'll still aim for them since it gives more replay value.

Edited by Zonic505

What I find worst of all is the fact that they patched the game to make some achievements that WERE reasonable 10 times harder. I feel really sorry for people who were planning to get them but just didn't get around to it.

And the game is mediocre regardless of the difficulty of the achievements (Ikaruga, Trouble Witches, even Triggerheart are all vastly better games). Those of you accusing me of shying away from difficult achievements obviously have no idea who I am. Bonus points to the guy who called me pathetic with a profile that BRAGS about having 200/200 in Ikaruga. :Bounce: But there's nothing worse than a difficult achievement in a bad game. :mad:

Oh, and yes, I do tend to play games specifically to get achievements. I'm not alone in that. Might I draw your attention to the name of these forums? :p

Edited by SnapDragon

Well actually they just fixed an exploit. The achievements are now how they were intended to be and they can be obtained in solo play just fine.

I guess it is a matter of preference but I have to object here: Strania is far from being mediocre, it might not be a prime example of the genre like various outputs by Treasure, Cave and co. but there are others that are far worse (e.g. Trouble Witches which does not provide any depth in gameplay). Overall they did a great job in terms of pattern design and variety (something else which TW can not provide).

Well then tell us who you are :p And to be honest I don't care if you get games only for the achievements, that is entirely your choice. I just said that the quality of a game should not be judged by its achievement-list...

Well actually they just fixed an exploit. The achievements are now how they were intended to be and they can be obtained in solo play just fine.

I guess it is a matter of preference but I have to object here: Strania is far from being mediocre, it might not be a prime example of the genre like various outputs by Treasure, Cave and co. but there are others that are far worse (e.g. Trouble Witches which does not provide any depth in gameplay). Overall they did a great job in terms of pattern design and variety (something else which TW can not provide).

Well then tell us who you are :p And to be honest I don't care if you get games only for the achievements, that is entirely your choice. I just said that the quality of a game should not be judged by its achievement-list...

Really? You thought Trouble Witches was, eh? I thought it was great. using the barrier to milk as many bullets as you can and then turning them into coins. Shiny things in shmups as a reward always makes them much more fun.

Strania I wouldn't say is a mediocre shoot em up either, its borderline good. Dan'n all weapons to get a highscore and then using over drive on bosses to finish them or in certain sections does add depth to the game play.

Really? You thought Trouble Witches was, eh? I thought it was great. using the barrier to milk as many bullets as you can and then turning them into coins. Shiny things in shmups as a reward always makes them much more fun.

Strania I wouldn't say is a mediocre shoot em up either, its borderline good. Dan'n all weapons to get a highscore and then using over drive on bosses to finish them or in certain sections does add depth to the game play.

Well it somehow felt like they tried to build a whole game around that feeling of 'cashing in'. The barrier lasts forever so you hardly have to dodge anything or think about strategic deployment (Espgaluda2 comes to mind...) and the magic cards have not enough effect on the gameplay or have to be chosen wisely (any card will work in any situation). Enemy placement and design feels completely arbitrary, same goes for the backgrounds which show no interaction with the actual game-layer and are furthermore done very sloppy (especially stage 5/6). Of course this is only my personal opinion but for me Strania does a better job at all of these things. Or maybe TWN is just not my game...

Well it somehow felt like they tried to build a whole game around that feeling of 'cashing in'. The barrier lasts forever so you hardly have to dodge anything or think about strategic deployment (Espgaluda2 comes to mind...) and the magic cards have not enough effect on the gameplay or have to be chosen wisely (any card will work in any situation). Enemy placement and design feels completely arbitrary, same goes for the backgrounds which show no interaction with the actual game-layer and are furthermore done very sloppy (especially stage 5/6). Of course this is only my personal opinion but for me Strania does a better job at all of these things. Or maybe TWN is just not my game...

I think it really depends on how one decides to play the game. You could buy/demo bulletsoul and say wow this is lame everything I kill, the bullets disappear. It's not until you start point-blanking where the game opens up some.

You're right that the barrier does take out some of the "guesswork" or "work" in general. I guarantee if one were to begin trying to milk heavier enemies and their dense fire that the game would make more sense and possibly become more fun.

All the bullets clogged up by the barrier, how much time is left before the barrier disappears, what is coming next and where will my out be are all huge factors. Also, doing the above increases the difficulty of the game vs just shooting and using barrier as a shield; instead of a point catcher.

Obviously, I can't tell or force someone to play the game how I would play it or to fully utilize what the game gives you verse its design nor can i sway one's opinion, but the game is well-made and definitely packs a risk/reward factor.

Hmm yes the game might grow if you play it 'right' but let me put it this way: If you play a few coins on an arcade machine and the game doesn't really inspire you, would you spend more coins on it?

Now I already bought it but the effect is the same. The learning process simply feels too much like a chore because the whole game design is not exciting enough to keep me interested. As I said, it is my personal opinion and if others enjoy this game I'm totally fine with it :)