Best games you played in 2014

Slaughter.

So 2014 is coming to a close, and with it, one of gaming's best years for me and hopefully for you all too. What were the best games you played this year (doesn't have to have been released this year)?

---

• Dark Souls II - I dumped 230+ hours into this game (took me 75 to complete and the rest of it was mostly spent in PvP) and had a blast almost the entire time.
  • Splinter Cell: Blacklist - Some of the best stealth I've ever played for sure. The story is simple but interesting and the stealth gameplay is smooth and realistic as well.
  • Grand Theft Auto V - I'm still trying to reach Rank 100 (at rank 85 and then I just need the 70 gold medals for the completion). The story wasn't the best but that's okay as the gameplay is flawless. The shooting is realistic enough and the driving is very fun. The free world aspect is flawless with a ton of side activities and chaos to participate in and cause to keep your fun factor maxed the whole way through.
  • Alpha Protocol - A true hidden gem. Yes, the gameplay is outdated, but you know what? That's fine! Why? The story is really engaging not only with its plot but because of its choice mechanic that changes the way the story progresses and what happens to Michael Thorton over the course of the game. I was engaged with it all the way through despite all the gameplay flaws.
  • Borderlands: The Presequel - I love Borderlands and because of that I bought the game day one (and write an achievement guide for it). The soundtrack and atmosphere in this game is all spot on and the story, which takes you through Jack's backstory, is one to remember for a while even though it's not anything like Metal Gear Solid or Deus Ex in terms of how deep it is and things like that. The gameplay is very fun (even solo) but to maximize the fun factor, it's best to play with at least one other person.
  • Fallout: New Vegas - The best post-apocalyptic game I've played (besides Dark Souls). The gameplay is much smoother than it was in Fallout 3 and it has more weapons and armor to take out baddies with. The setting and story is also great since it splits off with four different factions early on and from there it's up to you how it will go on from there.

Granted there's still a few games sitting in my 'to do' pile, so far I've really enjoyed Wolfenstein and Shadow of Mordor. They were both games I didn't really expect to be great but turned out to be.

Also Halo MCC. Despite it being the same games, I've been playing it almost nonstop since release so it must have done something right:p

Granted there's still a few games sitting in my 'to do' pile, so far I've really enjoyed Wolfenstein and Shadow of Mordor. They were both games I didn't really expect to be great but turned out to be.

This was the year to stop believing the hype in my opinion. Just about every big title that was hyped up to be the next greatest thing was a let down, and every game that had little hype around it was better than expected. Hell, even Call of Duty put out a good game this year. Both of the games you mentioned seem well-received by almost everyone, neither of which were on my radar before release.

This was the year to stop believing the hype in my opinion. Just about every big title that was hyped up to be the next greatest thing was a let down, and every game that had little hype around it was better than expected. Hell, even Call of Duty put out a good game this year. Both of the games you mentioned seem well-received by almost everyone, neither of which were on my radar before release.

I totally agree. The games that were hyped to be "the next big thing" flopped consistently this year. I mean, Destiny and Watch Dogs both failed to meet the expectations they set for themselves (weren't bad games but they flipped in that sense).

Wolfenstein and Shadow of Mordor succeeded in part because they didn't overdo all the trailers and advertisements and they didn't try to tell everyone they were revolutions and people accepted them for that I think.

Didn't actually play many games that came out this year.

Dark Souls 2, Binding of Isaac Rebirth... Saint's Row IV?

EDIT: Forgot Watch Dogs, lol. Bought it on PC on release date. Really had no problems with performance or anything, despite having a pretty mid-tier PC. It was just INCREDIBLY boring. It's a very nothing game.

Dark Souls 2 - I put so much time into this one, it's easily my GOTY for 2014. Sooo many people say that it was incredibly disappointing, not as good as Dark 1, etc etc. I tend to have the unpopular opinion that it is the best in the series. All the subtle changes to the controls, how it feels, the simplification of the upgrade system, etc. The areas are fine to be honest, and I think the ratio of bad areas to good ones is equal between both games. Plus, the DLC were amazing. I could talk a lot more about this game, but i'll leave it alone lol.

NBA 2k15 - Really my first sports game excluding stuff like SSX Tricky, Aggressive Inline, and Tony Hawk. I love basketball, and even though this game has quite a few bugs and glitches, and it kinda cheats, I can't stop playing. This is also the first true "next-gen" NBA brought to PC. 2k14 on PC was just the 360/PS3 versions rather than the nice updated XB1/PS4 versions. MyPlayer/MyCareer is fantastic, bugs included. Hell, they may even make it better. TIME TO DO MY THAAAAANG!

Tomb Raider 2013 - Finally got around to playing this one this year. It had a bit of a naff storyline, but the controls (with mouse and keyboard) were great, the levels were fun, and the combat was really fun. I pretty much only used a bow and the pistol the entire game. It looked fantastic graphically as well. I'm not a fan of the old Tomb Raider games, so this one basically being a really good version of Uncharted really helped it. First game in a while that I have actually 100%'d the singleplayer for.

Dishonored - Such an awesome stealth-action game. The use of powers like blink really helped it break out of just being a generic stealth game. The aesthetic was wonderful, it was beautifully optimized on PC, and even the story was decent.

There are a few other games I could list in here (Sleeping Dogs, Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut) but I don't want this to run too long. Also, I didn't finish them lol. So i'll just leave one more:

Metal Gear Solid 1 - Yep. With the announcement of Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain bringing the Metal Gear series back to PC, I decided to pick this up on PSN, buy the HD collection and MGS4 for PS3, and finally play through this series. Even with the incredibly dated controls and graphics (the one on PSN is just the original PS1 version) it became a huge favorite. I had a lot of problems because I suck at videogames, and I did ragequit a lot, but it still made a lasting impression on me. I'm currently a little over halfway through MGS2 (I think) and after that I will be playing 3, Peace Walker, 4, Ground Zeroes, and then eventually Phantom Pain, so you can likely expect to see more MGS on my list next year.

Wolfenstein and Shadow of Mordor succeeded in part because they didn't overdo all the trailers and advertisements and they didn't try to tell everyone they were revolutions and people accepted them for that I think.

And then there's people like me that went into those games like Wolfenstein a month after it released. Heard so many good things about it, expected to love it, and ended up disappointed with it. Womp womp

Metal Gear Solid 1

God I need to play that again next time it snows. Need to make that a habit.

Have you played Merry Gear Solid?

----

Nintendo pretty much killed it this year. I mean Meme Run is a fantastic system seller. Anybody else?

[spoiler=muktukeater]Brushing off my continued lame attempts to joke around, I loved Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Shovel Knight, even Hyrule Warriors was pretty enjoyable. Smash Bros I've never been a big fan of but it's still fun.

Also liked This War of Mine, Super Time Force, D4 Season One, and Wasteland 2.

As for older games I played for the first time this year, far too many. Ass Creed IV came out last year but I'd stick it in my top 10 favorite games of all time list, even with its flaws.

Shenmue II, Super Castlevania IV...Final Fantasy VI...Chrono Trigger I'll probably be infatuated with when I'm done with it. Quickly finding a lot of new favorites.

Edited by LickableLemons7

God I need to play that again next time it snows. Need to make that a habit.

Have you played Merry Gear Solid?

Hadn't heard of it, but looking on the Metal Gear wiki, it looks pretty hilarious.

Dunno about the game itself, the screenshot makes it look like a poorly made RPG Maker game, but the concept is awesome.

Maybe it's just because I played it recently but I really, really enjoyed Stick of Truth. The combat was fun and was definitely challenging at times, there were a lot of funny moments, the achievements are actually fun and it really did feel like episodes of the show.

Some weird bugs aside I had a lot of fun with it.

For me…

• Metro Redux
  • Wolfenstein: The New Ordor
  • Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Halo 2's Remastered Campaign)

I think you misunderstood the title, I meant games you played in 2014, not just the ones that came out in 2014. :p

I only pester because I know Deus Ex: Human Revolution would be on there. :D

I think you misunderstood the title, I meant games you played in 2014, not just the ones that came out in 2014. :p

I only pester because I know Deus Ex: Human Revolution would be on there. :D

I've played plenty of games this year, probably 12-15, but those were definitely the better ones. Ahh, I forgot about Deus Ex!!

Wolfenstein, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel(besides the season pass bullshit), Dragon Age: Inquisition, Two Worlds 1&2, Far Cry 4, DeathSpank, DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue, Bioshock: Infinite, Game of Thrones, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

A good year for me, overall. I know a lot of these didn't come out in 2014, but i played them all this year. The absolute best of the above that i played would be Kingdoms of Amalur! Excellent game.

My best fans of 2014 would have to be Dragon Age Inquisition. Spent 80+ hours on it and it never got tedious. My only negative was my own stupidity at opting to play in hard rather than nigjtmare!

Other honorable mentions would have to be:

Shadows of mordor ( my second game of the year)

Destiny (have to admit it's getting a bit tedious now)

Stick of truth

Diablo III

I also replayed Dantes inferno this year and really hope they make a sequel in the future.

Many kudos to Slaughter for Alpha Protocol being on your list. It's not a perfect game, EMPs on mechanical locks for instance, but it's certainly a fun and interesting game.

I've played quite a few games this year but these really stand out, and are in no particular order.

Game of Thrones - not the Telltale Games one.

Child of Light

Costume Quest 1

Costume Quest 2

Mind Zero (Vita game). Only the 2nd game in years to keep me hooked from beginning to end.