Why Call of Duty is boring and needs to change

Z3R0 S1X

http://games.ign.com/articles/121/1217539p1.html

I found this over at ign.com earlier and thought it warrented sharing. I didn't post it in the CoD forums because I figured more people would see it here. The author of the article makes some good points about why the CoD franchise needs an update or a reboot. What say you fellow gamers of X360A?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what I think?, I think someone should hit Robert Bowling over the head with a shovel, and bury him next to wherever those E.T. the game cartridges got buried. But seriously, I think all those big multiplayer games need an update, especially Call of Duty. You can only stand the same thing one after another for so long.

Over the past year, I've gotten tired of the CoD, MW, BF war shoooters and don't see me buying anymore. While I have BF Bad Company and it falls into that genre, I really liked it when I got it and won't dump it. But the whole run, run, shoot, shoot thing wears me out now. There's no chance to look around and explore. I guess my age is catching up to my gaming style.

All they NEED to do to start with is use a new god damn engine. Seriously, they are using that old quake engine for going on like 12yrs now. Laziness is all it is, everything feels recycled every new game because well...that's exactly what they are doing lol. But the game sells so well that changing anything major just seems like a risky move for them.

Too much hype into the same game every year.

They promise this, promise that.

Little changes are made, and nothing really 'new' is there. New guns, and perks. Thats about it. Maps play the same, the controls are the same. It's redundant and boring now. I completely agree with that article.

But in my own opinion, I think CoD just needs to stop. I don't want to get hyped up over nothing again.

i do love the COD games and still actively play the multiplayer. Probably because I started playing when Black Ops came out, so its still relatively fresh for me. However, I can feel COD fatigue setting in playing MW3 night and day. Once I hit 10th in this game, I highly doubt I'll go back to the Prestige grind ever again. This franchise really does need a 24 month hiatus.

Too much hype into the same game every year.

They promise this, promise that.

Little changes are made, and nothing really 'new' is there. New guns, and perks. Thats about it. Maps play the same, the controls are the same. It's redundant and boring now.

Yet Modern Warfare 2, Black Ops and Modern Warfare 3 all broke records.

1. http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Horizons/2009/1112/modern-warfare-2-sales-nuke-all-previous-records
  2. http://articles.cnn.com/2010-11-11/tech/call.of.duty.sales_1_modern-warfare-activision-ceo-bobby-kotick-black-ops?_s=PM:TECH
  3. http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/nov/18/modern-warfare-2-records-775m

They are only making more with each release, so those little changes and nothing 'new' being put in the games is obviously not a concern for the millions of day one buyers.

I agree that it is boring, but people will still play it.

Wow, that was a very good read.

I do believe the game needs to change, but I will admit I love the CoD games, i have played all of them except MW3. The singleplayer is fun, but what the author said was very true about the singleplayer. It needs to change, but Die? No. I have fun playing them and a lot of people do. a little change can do the series a world of good.

I agree. The whole series is not fun to play anymore. I noticed a steady decline in the amount of time I have in the game.

MW2 - 65 Days

Black Ops - 11 Days

MW3 - 7 Days

All I do now is get to max prestige. Some people say I'm wasting my time. But I enjoy when a new Call of Duty comes out, I stay up all night every night with my friends and have some good laughs until I'm done.

Instead of making a Call of Duty every year, switching off companies, I think they need to team up and come up with something new. No new Black Ops, no new Modern Warfare. Come up with something original, if that's not too hard for them. Spend a good two years on it, take all the time they need, and come out with a really good though out game. New characters, maybe make a new multiplayer system.

If they keep coming out with the same shit, different year, eventually people will get bored, and some new game will come out and sweep Call of Duty out from beneath its feet and completely blow it out of the picture. But then again, if people keep buying it, why change it? It's just business.

Edited by Coadster1

Yet Modern Warfare 2, Black Ops and Modern Warfare 3 all broke records.

They are only making more with each release, so those little changes and nothing 'new' being put in the games is obviously not a concern for the millions of day one buyers.

I agree that it is boring, but people will still play it.

As long as the cash keeps flowing in, from a business perspective, there is no need to change the product, only tweak it.

What amazes me is how many people bitch and moan about all the flaws yet continue to play it, the MW3 bitching thread is the perfect example of this. Honestly i can't see any changes being made unless the fan base starts to dry up, and by that stage i think it will be too late to change and the franchise will disappear.

That was the greatest article I have ever read.

I have played MW2, that's it. When I watched the trailer for MW3 at E3, I immediately thought: "It looks the exact same as Modern Warfare 2." Why should I spend my money on a game I already own?

But, yet you play every Halo game.

It all boils down to money. If Activision is raking in an ass ton of money they have no reason to change the formula.

Thing is though.. He's probably bought every cod going .. And probably still will ..

Same with every other person who moans about cod.. It'll be in their disc trays one day .. Maybe not release but at some point!

Edit:- also people saying "sales don't mean greatness" or something along those lines..

It does in a sence that they hold what they had the previous year.. But then go and break that..

The simple answer is - why fix what isn't broken ? Simply tweak it to make it better

It doesnt matter if you hate cod forever - and you can bitch about it all you want

But being honest if it was put in the short list for GOTY it would sadly get it

Edited by Akuza

I think CoD needs a huge over haul you cant blame them for trying to make everything good, as that seems too be what most people care about now a days. but i cant understand how I or other people "logicaly" die.

EX- seen a kill cam some one noob tubed the ground, grenade shell sled on ground into enemies foot and he died.

funny yes, but CoD is filled with many WTF 1 hit kills and is easy to take advantage of.

If you don't like it, don't play it. There are other games. I played Black Ops. I enjoyed it. ...for a week. Then I haven't touched it again. Didn't even think twice about MW3.

Just because I dont play it doesn't mean it still doesn't need an over-haul. I loved the experience of going through Call of Duty 4....I want that feeling back.

But, yet you play every Halo game.

It all boils down to money. If Activision is raking in an ass ton of money they have no reason to change the formula.

Yes, I play every Halo game. But Halo games have memorable characters and an enjoyable story. I beat MW2 twice and I had no clue what was going on or who the characters were or why I should care about them. And Halo 3 multiplayer is completely different from Halo: Reach. Halo 3 has completely different weapons, equipment, and no actual health. Reach has armor abilities and actual health, lending to a different experience. Matches on Halo are much more fair in the sense that everyone starts off with the same weapon and must use skill to get power weapons (or not) and win.

Of course, every Halo game (except Halo Wars) is built upon a basic formula. You'll see that with most popular franchises. But each Halo game is not nearly as similar to each other as Call of Duty games are.