WARNING: don't start Steam! First read this!

I post this some minutes ago on trueachievements.com:

I make some updates to this guide an TA so follow the link above for more Informations.

Some hours ago Relic published the 2.6.0.10216 Patch. This Patch removed 'Games for Windows Live' so all the games achievements are unobtainable.

If you didn't start seam until now or know a local friend who didn't start it and have the Game install you have a good chance to get some of the Campaign Achievements.

If Steam starts with Windows you need to unplug the Network Connection of your PC to prevent Steam from going online and install the patch.

Now (if not already done) fully shut down Steam (not just minimized to tray).

now navigate to 'C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\' and make a Backup of the 'Dawn of War 2' folder! Save it to the Desktop or better a external HDD.

If you get this files from a friend because you install the Update now go back on your own PC and lunch DOW2 until you see the title screen and exit the Game. repeat this with Chaos rising if you have it.

Now full shut down Steam (not just minimized to tray).

again navigate to 'C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\' and delete the 'Dawn of War 2' folder. Now copy the 'Dawn of War 2' folder from your friend to your 'common' folder.

After this unplug your own Network Connection (again to prevent Steam from going online).

In both cases now launch Steam

Steam now offer you to start in offline mode ... choose this Option. After this is done reconnect your Internet connection and start the Game as normal!

You need to watch out to not going online with steam until you have everything done with DOW2 you want.

BUT if you install the Patch, lunch the Game, end the Game, and turn auto Updates off (on both ... the original Game AND Chaos Rising) you can - after downgrade the game again - switch offline and online Mode like you want to BUT DON'T LUNCH THE GAME WHILE BE ONLINE!!!

See this Picture:

GaPsyn.png

I recommend to disable Steam for start up with windows ... an keep the Backup Files on a save place for the case you accidentally start the Update.

At present this is the only way I know to start the Game with GFWL enable.

I hope I can help someone with this little guide.

EDIT: as far as i test it, Campaign and CoOp Campaign Achievements are still obtainable. Last Stand and ranked Matches are not accessible because steam wants you to connect to the Authentication-Server witch is not possible in Offline Mode.

Private Matches are playable but only solo against the AI.

If you want to start or continue a CoOp session the guest needs to be in the title screen. after the guest accept the invite THE HOST NEEDS TO WAIT! The guest now navigate on his own to the campaign the host selected until he ends up in the CoOp screen! Now the Host can start the Game.

BUT while the guest is navigate to the CoOp screen he gets 2 or 3 times the "you need to connect to the Authentication-Server"-error he should just click OK and Ignore the Warning.

Edited by Hitomis Freund

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...