Help Me Plz the damed Ancient Dragon wont die

Suki

i am at the Ancient Dragon but i am getting owned before i can even get a third of his health down, i have a shield that has 100% fire protection but when the dragon does his fire breath i put the shield up my stamina drops in a second and im dead.

i tried the hitting and rolling between the back feet but he flies up and again im toast or a pancake under his foot, must of died 50 times now need some help i want to continue.

I wrote a guide somewhere else.

The only rule you must remember with the ancient dragon is never summon anybody else, not even the two NPC's which can be gained on this event. They will make his aerial flame breath entirely unpredictable.

At the start running to the back feet or tail. Sometimes you will get unlucky and he will simply fly in the air at the start and you will die. Never get greedy! Leave yourself plenty of stamina. Get rid of all your crap! Any shields or extra weapons they are useless. Armor too is quite useless, unless specific damage or spell increase gear. This is because you want to be as light as possible.

Melee stand at a back foot getting about x2 big hits in, then rolling to dodge his feet attack. If he rises but doesn't go in the air he will breathe fire directly beneath himself, don't be nearby to the feet or tail. When he does this attack you have plenty of time to get away, it looks similar to an aerial attack. Always keep your stamina high don't get greedy with any extra swings. If he rises in the air run toward his tail then get back in position, watching he doesn't land on top of you. Repeat until dead

Casters after acquiring position near his tail. Fire a single spell your biggest nuke. Unless he is the air and you were already out of his aerial flame breath then you can get a few casts off. Always running towards the tail when he goes in the air.

Watch out for running out of space if he is near a back edge, goad him away from it by going to his middle and casting or striking. This will see him turn differently rather then flying back off the edge and dousing you in flame.

Watch out he doesn't land on you when he is dropping back down from the air.

You will probably always die the first time when waking him because he tends to be unpredictable.

Edited by Shabba

i was stuck on him for a while as well but the guides are right eventually if u do it right or get lucky u can just get him to just loop his stomp attack or when he sticks his neck between legs and breathes fire.

first off there is no point in a shield or even wearing heavy armor because 90% of the time if he hits you, you're dead, so go light so u can regain stamina faster. Then Just be patient keep walking in between his big toe and 2nd toe until he picks it up and then sprint over to the other foot get 1-2 2-handed hits in and then keep walking between his toes and so on. i dont even lock on either just keep ur eye on him and if he doesnt do the same animation then just run off. its just a long battle

i was stuck on him for a while as well but the guides are right eventually if u do it right or get lucky u can just get him to just loop his stomp attack or when he sticks his neck between legs and breathes fire.

first off there is no point in a shield or even wearing heavy armor because 90% of the time if he hits you, you're dead, so go light so u can regain stamina faster. Then Just be patient keep walking in between his big toe and 2nd toe until he picks it up and then sprint over to the other foot get 1-2 2-handed hits in and then keep walking between his toes and so on. i dont even lock on either just keep ur eye on him and if he doesnt do the same animation then just run off. its just a long battle

By the time you get to NG+++, a gyrm shield doesn't help at 35 stamina.

Here's the best video guide for this particular boss:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grqG-WwGqM0]Dark Souls 2 Ancient Dragon Boss EASY - YouTube[/ame]

Summary:

- bait his ground fire breath by circling him at medium distance (relative to the room), don't get backed into a corner, make sure you always have enough room to run away

- run in, attack his toes once or twice

- start backing off

- if he lifts off the ground for his aerial breath run as far away as possible

- rinse and repeat

The "run to his tail" tactic never worked for me, beat him with the above strategy after 3 tries.

I really don't agree with that video guide.

1) The video has a useless shield for what purpose?

2) Where the video is running, is back and forth,towards many attacks at the dragons front his frontal flames as well as his foot stomp and aerial flame breath.

3) The video is a caster. Meaning stand behind him at the back near his tail. He will only ever do one attack. The aerial flame breath which is easily avoided now, being near the tail. As he can only fly in the air too hit you, when being that your beside the tail you don't have to run far to avoid. And you can potentially get in many more casts from not having to always run. You will only have to watch for the edges, countered by stepping near the dragons middle and casting this will see him will turn 180 degrees to attack, but only a small distance to run to avoid his breath at his tail. Providing you have plenty of stamina from not being greedy with additional casts. Watching only for getting squashed when he lands

4) Basically don't try that video at home it is absurd. Making a better melee strategy but not really because you are inviting all of the dragons attacks. As the saying goes if it can hit you with everything available to it, the chances are you will get hit.

The dragon on the NG+ game I am playing is worth @ 500k souls. Some of the enemies before the dragon give me 15k souls a piece most of the others are about 10k each. The area is worth many levels about 7+, doesn't take long to grind either 3-5 minutes to kill all the enemies repeat so many times over 45 or so minutes. The dragon about 2-3 minutes.

Edited by Shabba

First off I tried about 20 times with randoms & friends but the dragons patterns became too unpredictable. I even had 2 friends with Grym shields on 1 side trying to attract and kite so I could deal damage. Everytime the dragon would eventually do a crazy move and insa death.

Eventually I did it solo, I had already finished the game had my 1000g but I was on a new character maybe the fact that I didn't have any pressure on me I just took my time. I used the straight on tactic run in 2 hits run back out of fire range back in rinse & repeat he goes into a loop attack pattern.

Here is the big question I have for anybody tryng to beat the dragon and feeling rage and stressed WHY? You do not need to beat it, this is an optional boss fight. You can still get 1000g without ever doing this fight. At first I thought you needed the dragon soul for an achivement or to progress or make a future fight easier it's not, so when I found out it was totally not needed I said screw that and moved on!

I really don't agree with that video guide.

1) The video has a useless shield for what purpose?

2) Where the video is running, is back and forth,towards many attacks at the dragons front his frontal flames as well as his foot stomp and aerial flame breath.

3) The video is a caster. Meaning stand behind him at the back near his tail. He will only ever do one attack. The aerial flame breath which is easily avoided now, being near the tail. As he can only fly in the air too hit you, when being that your beside the tail you don't have to run far to avoid. And you can potentially get in many more casts from not having to always run. You will only have to watch for the edges, countered by stepping near the dragons middle and casting this will see him will turn 180 degrees to attack, but only a small distance to run to avoid his breath at his tail. Providing you have plenty of stamina from not being greedy with additional casts. Watching only for getting squashed when he lands

4) Basically don't try that video at home it is absurd. Making a better melee strategy but not really because you are inviting all of the dragons attacks. As the saying goes if it can hit you with everything available to it, the chances are you will get hit.

1) You don't even need a shield with the above strategy, I beat him with 2handing a Dragon Tooth because there is nothing to block. You will avoid all attacks by running in and out.

2) ??? Exactly, you bait the ground fire breath, run in, do one or two attacks and run back out.

3) ??? See 2), same for caster.

4) If you follow this strategy, he will never do anything else but a) ground fire breath and b) aerial fire breath. No stomp, no bite, nothing.

All you need to do is watch your stamina and make sure you always have enough stamina and room to run back out.

Edited by Brambledamble

In the video he has a shield watch the video. Which proably weighs more then all of his gear combined, he also has a weapon apart from the staff which he is casting with. Again weighing so much more. At least he defeated Bowser in his attempted video taking 5minutes

In the video, he attacks the dragons front feet then runs away to the front of the dragon. This means the dragon can hit with every single one of his attacks. Name any dragon attack that you can get hit from. There are x5 dragon attacks. Frontal Flame Breath, Underneath Flame Breath, Foot Stomp, Belly Flop, Aerial Flame Breath.

I suppose you cannot work out. How to stand directly behind the dragon as a caster, then all you have to do is run near his tail as he lifts off, this is when you are standing right at his tail, giving a caster a potential of about x4 casts = 4 soul geyser which will see that dragon on half health before another animation. As sometimes all he will do is belly flop. Then all you have to do is avoid 2 attacks. His Aerial Flame Breath and the Belly Flop or the dragon landing on top of you when it lands. Not his Foot Stomp, Not his Frontal Fire Breath, Not his Underneath Flame Breath.

Gee the ground doesn't turn all red indicating the area where the flame will hit and when running at the tail you run all the way to the tip of it.

Play how the hell you want.

Edited by Shabba

Here is the big question I have for anybody tryng to beat the dragon and feeling rage and stressed WHY? You do not need to beat it, this is an optional boss fight. You can still get 1000g without ever doing this fight. At first I thought you needed the dragon soul for an achivement or to progress or make a future fight easier it's not, so when I found out it was totally not needed I said screw that and moved on!

Not getting stressed out over it, but I had to beat it because it was a boss and had a health bar XD. Same thing went for Kalameet in the first game's DLC. That boss was SO much harder than the Ancient Dragon but I just had to beat it.

Not getting stressed out over it, but I had to beat it because it was a boss and had a health bar XD. Same thing went for Kalameet in the first game's DLC. That boss was SO much harder than the Ancient Dragon but I just had to beat it.

Damn OCD lol Yeah I can understand where you are coming from. I usually do that kind of stuff when I have absolutely nothing else left to do!

well im not giving up but i cannot do this goddamn boss must have died over 100 times and stuck for 5 days, i am a knight and hitting for around 300, and am trying to follow the guide where u attack his back paws/legs and just keep swapping between the two avoiding the kick/stomp and under belly fire attack. In the guide it says the dragon never flies up when attacked like this except my dragon is up and in the air in 30 seconds and keeps going in the air until he eventually burns me. I think this method has been closed after the update because he always takes off multiple times when working between the back legs.

well im not giving up but i cannot do this goddamn boss must have died over 100 times and stuck for 5 days, i am a knight and hitting for around 300, and am trying to follow the guide where u attack his back paws/legs and just keep swapping between the two avoiding the kick/stomp and under belly fire attack. In the guide it says the dragon never flies up when attacked like this except my dragon is up and in the air in 30 seconds and keeps going in the air until he eventually burns me. I think this method has been closed after the update because he always takes off multiple times when working between the back legs.

If you are only hitting for 300, you will never kill it.

What SL are you? I would suggest a respec just for this boss.

On NG and NG+, I used a +10 sunlight blade lighting Zwei, effectively hitting it for around 700 damage with my str/dex stats. On NG++, I switched to dark magic and used Great Resonant Soul. I was hitting for 1200+ each time, 1800 if my engraved gauntlets went off. When I ran out of casts, I would eat herbs and go again.

Just a suggestion... 300 damage means you have to be perfect at the dodging fire breath for 2.5 times as long as I was, and my fights were upwards to 7-8 minutes long. The Gyrm shield helps, but the instant you block without full stamina you will die from the second hit.

well i might of got lucky but i just did it HOOOOOORAY

There's nothing wrong with a little bit of luck! :p

For those of you who don't know, you can always wait for NG+ and kill him using the Gower's Ring of Protection if he is giving you too much trouble. Just get as much distance as you can when he flies and turn your back to him. It will barely dmg you if it hits. :woop:

Or maybe see if anyone has an extra Gower's ring they can give you. (No clue if you can trade it, but you can't grab one yourself until NG+)

well i might of got lucky but i just did it HOOOOOORAY

Congrats!

There's nothing wrong with a little bit of luck! :p

For those of you who don't know, you can always wait for NG+ and kill him using the Gower's Ring of Protection if he is giving you too much trouble. Just get as much distance as you can when he flies and turn your back to him. It will barely dmg you if it hits. :woop:

Or maybe see if anyone has an extra Gower's ring they can give you. (No clue if you can trade it, but you can't grab one yourself until NG+)

That actually works? ROFL.

You would only be able to take 5 hits though, so it wouldn't last you the whole fight. I suppose it would be good for that one or two times he seems to get a hit when you are at the edge of the level.

Congrats!

That actually works? ROFL.

You would only be able to take 5 hits though, so it wouldn't last you the whole fight. I suppose it would be good for that one or two times he seems to get a hit when you are at the edge of the level.

I believe the knuckle rings may allow for more hits. (Do they work on rings as well?)

Either way it would help negate the ones you couldn't get away from since your back would be to him anyways. You can watch videos of the ring working against the ancient dragon on YouTube. (It's pretty amusing)

It's a bit OP but I thought I'd mention it for those who are having issues. :p

I believe the knuckle rings may allow for more hits. (Do they work on rings as well?)

Either way it would help negate the ones you couldn't get away from since your back would be to him anyways. You can watch videos of the ring working against the ancient dragon on YouTube. (It's pretty amusing)

It's a bit OP but I thought I'd mention it for those who are having issues. :p

Yes it does, I believe it allows 2 extra hits before breaking.

I will agree that the gower's ring might be good for the fight, but I doubt you would get hit more than 5 times with the running strategy.

Yes it does, I believe it allows 2 extra hits before breaking.

I will agree that the gower's ring might be good for the fight, but I doubt you would get hit more than 5 times with the running strategy.

I have him down to a science personally so I haven't used the ring. I give him the death-by-manicure treatment. I just bait the same attack repeatedly and he rarely flies on me at all.

I just wanted to mention the ring just in case anyone wasn't aware. :)

I believe that the Ironclad only prevents backstabs. Gower's reduces any dmg taken from behind. (Correct me if I'm wrong here :p)

Correct, same goes for the Jester's Torso

I wore Gower's ring of protection and Ironclad armour+10 and didn't take ANY damage at all, didn't even lose any stamina.

Not sure if that Ironclad armour did anything if it only protects you from backstabs, but the fact that I didn't lose any health or stamina is strange.

Either way, this dragon is a complete joke now.