Onyx Medal Guide

TehGoomba

Hey guys. Just wanted to make this thread to keep all the Onyx medal queries and help in one place. I have 8 done at the moment, and I'll share how I got them and how long each should take. Feel free to add your ones to this thread and i'll add them to the OP. Hope this helps some of you. I'll try eventually get methods on how to do them all easily so keep an eye out.

Fort Fixer - Repair 200000 fortification HP

This might seem quite a lot but it actually comes pretty easily. You have to do this in Survival. You get +40 for each repair and it varies on how long each fortification takes to repair. Basically keep using Baird and stick to one set of defenses. I found the Generator on Estate to be best for this, as both sides have red laser wire which takes a battering before going down. This took me about 4 games of getting to round 10 and focusing on repairing. Overall you could get this Onyx in 1.5-2 hours straight.

Doorman - Manipulate 200 objects in campaign

Really easy location to do this is Downtown Halvo Bay, Section 2. Once you start it up continue untill you come to a wheel like door handle. Just keep pressing the X button on it and each time will count as a manipulation. Takes 5-10 minutes of straight pressing so do it while watching TV or something.

Survivalist - Complete 40 sections with reloading from a checkpoint

Use the same section as ''Doorman'' and everytime you get to your total stars and stats, just hit Y to replay it. Repeat as many times as needed. I recommend Casual so it is quick and you won't die. Takes around 3-5 minutes to do the little section.

Tour of Duty - Complete campaign on Insane

What I recommend for this is 4 player co-op, 3 players on Casual and you on Insane. Let the Casual players storm through and you hangback with covering fire. This will take you around 5-6 hours to do if you go at a quick pace. Casual is very easy so enemies aren't a problem to your team mates.

Seriously Judgmental - Earn Seriously Judgmental Achievement

Same as ''Tour of Duty''. Declassified missions will count towards Insane for you, even if completed with players on Casual. Note this will not work with the ''Superstar'' achievement, however.

Finisher - Get 500 executions in campaign

This can be easily obtained in the Aftermath Campaign. On the ''Anyone home?'' section, Padduk will tell you that you need to get to the Rig. Don't go straight ahead yet. Instead, head left until you find an area with dead bodies. You will find a Retro which you will need to pick up, and COG tags. Head back to your objective until you come down to a small courtyard area. Formers will start attacking you. Retro charge through them and it will count towards and execution. Takes roughly 20 minutes of clearing and reloading to get the Onyx Medal. Pretty sure this is the best place to boost retro and lancer kills too. The Onyx for weapons is 6000 kills so it will take a long time.

Tripwire Crossbow - get 500 It's a trap! ribbons

For the "It's a trap!" ribbons, start from that section that you mentioned with the parade. After you kill all of the enemies and turn the wheel to open the door, go up to the right and pick up the Tripwire Crossbow. After that, end the section and start the next one (where you ambush the locust) and shoot the bow at the ground right in the path of the drones in the patrol. When the shot blows up, it usually nets me about 3-4 ribbons and a second active shot under the remaining Grinder/Boomer can get me another ribbon. Then just reload checkpoint and repeat.

I've been doing this on casual and it has been going up pretty quick. Although it still takes a little while since for some reason Onyx requires 500 ribbons. This also gets you a lot of kills and ribbons towards prize boxes, and a decent amount of xp. It also counts towards explosives kills.

That's all for the moment, i'll edit this in the morning. Very sleepy at the moment. Hope this helps some of you, as I said contribute if something is missing. Will try get a list of Onyx requirements for all Medals too.

Edited by TehGoomba

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the "It's a trap!" ribbons, start from that section that you mentioned with the parade. After you kill all of the enemies and turn the wheel to open the door, go up to the right and pick up the Tripwire Crossbow. After that, end the section and start the next one (where you ambush the locust) and shoot the bow at the ground right in the path of the drones in the patrol. When the shot blows up, it usually nets me about 3-4 ribbons and a second active shot under the remaining Grinder/Boomer can get me another ribbon. Then just reload checkpoint and repeat.

I've been doing this on casual and it has been going up pretty quick. Although it still takes a little while since for some reason Onyx requires 500 ribbons. This also gets you a lot of kills and ribbons towards prize boxes, and a decent amount of xp. It also counts towards explosives kills.

Fort Fixer - Repair 200000 fortification HP

This might seem quite a lot but it actually comes pretty easily. You have to do this in Survival. You get +40 for each repair and it varies on how long each fortification takes to repair. Basically keep using Baird and stick to one set of defenses. I found the Generator on Estate to be best for this, as both sides have red laser wire which takes a battering before going down. This took me about 4 games of getting to round 10 and focusing on repairing. Overall you could get this Onyx in 1.5-2 hours straight.

How the fuck do you repair the Generator? It won't let me when I try to, and it won't let me repair holes either.

You can't because it's not possible. I believe he was trying to say that defending the generator on Estate is the best place to repair fortifications.

That's... stupid.

How the hell do they expect you to finish it on other difficulties then? Can't even do it on Casual solo since they send in four serapedes in a two minute period that destroy everything instantly. ON CASUAL.

Easiest level to beat seems like either Estate or Junkyard, mainly since those are the only two that I can do solo. Estate has good bottlenecks and Junkyard has a good turret spot at the end. The other maps suck.

How the fuck do you repair the Generator? It won't let me when I try to, and it won't let me repair holes either.

Sorry it was 3am when I was posting this. What I meant was get to the generator stage on Estate. There are 2 red laser wire fences either side. I did this solo survival on Casual. You don't need to complete it or anything, I never did kept dying on wave 10. It's just the longer you survive the more you can repair.

Really easy location to do this is Downtown Halvo Bay, Section 2. Once you start it up continue untill you come to a wheel like door handle. Just keep pressing the X button on it and each time will count as a manipulation. Takes 5-10 minutes of straight pressing so do it while watching TV or something.

Where?

Where?

On chapter 5 level 2 after u kick the door in the beginning of the level, you will see floats proceed to the left to a gate in the middle of the street. Instead of hitting "A" to open the gate completely, just tap the "X" button.

Where?

Literally a minute after you start the second section you will hear loadspeakers about the Pendulum wars. There is a gate you need to open where tickers and a corpser come from.

Survivalist - Complete 40 sections with reloading from a checkpoint

That should probably read "without reloading" ;)

Btw, you might want to add which Onyx medals loop, if any of them do. In the previous game, some onyx medals were attainable endless times.

Literally a minute after you start the second section you will hear loadspeakers about the Pendulum wars. There is a gate you need to open where tickers and a corpser come from.

You can also start Level 1-1 in co-op with two controllers and just press 'X' on the very first door endlessly.

where exactly are you talking about?

where exactly are you talking about?

Go to downtown halvo bay, section 2. Kill the people then open the door, run to the checkpoint and pick up a tripwire crossbow, as they come in shoot it in front of them and voila, you get some ribbons

Possible method for ammo supplier, go to private survival or overrun, and get a friend or a second controller, and be cole obviously and have another person be baird/repair man. throw down the ammo and have him sit in it while he shoots his repair tool, I think this works, not sure though.

I am currently doing this for the tripwire crossbow medal. It's not taking me to long as already on gold, just not looking forward to the grind to 500 ribbons.

OT: I hope this thread survives as it will help a lot of people. If it does die I might try and make a thread dedicated to the medals but need to get all the info first.

I am currently doing this for the tripwire crossbow medal. It's not taking me to long as already on gold, just not looking forward to the grind to 500 ribbons.

OT: I hope this thread survives as it will help a lot of people. If it does die I might try and make a thread dedicated to the medals but need to get all the info first.

Yeah I'm trying to figure out ways for some of the more time consuming ones. Bit occupied with Bioshock atm though.