Modded Controller Cheats: Why hasn't Microsoft or game developers banned these?

recoil47

I've been seeing more and more people lately on MW2 using modded controller cheats. Super rapid fire akimbo pistols, super fast reload (without fast hands perk) and going from running to prone almost instantly. Yes, its cheating, and yes its annoying at times (although those controllers usually don't save those newbies from their shitty K/D ratios).

My question is, why hasn't the game developers, or even Microsoft, done anything about it? The great thing about the console gaming platform, is that it leveled the playing field --- everyone had to use the same equipment. No people with faster computers, more accurate mice, and config settings giving players advantages. Everyone had the same gear and game settings and players ability determined who was better.

Now these modded controllers are starting to come into the scene, tipping the balance again and making up for an individuals lack of skills. I would think that Microsoft could come up with an easy way to detect the use of these, as could the game developer, and disable them --- so why haven't they?

Does anyone have some insights? I'd hate to see the Xbox platform overrun with people using these cheats.

Consoles did make online gaming nice since everyone had to use the same equipment. But, now people are figuring out how to connect their XBoxs to their PC to use exploits and cheats, so any advantage that consoles had over PCs as far as online gaming have pretty much gone out the window. And MS talks a big game about not liking cheaters, but in the end, really doesn't ever seem to do anything about it. They're more concerned with banning people who have modded their XBoxs to play copied games then they are about banning for cheating during online play. Why? Because people playing copied games lose them money, people cheating doesn't hurt them at all.

It's all about money if you ask me. If MS bans or suspends people who cheat, they potentially lose a paying XBox Live customer. Why would they want to do that? So they talk a big game about not liking cheaters and punishing them, but in the end, do nothing.

I'm actually hoping Black Ops is better. MW2 was a letdown in so many ways. The only thing that saved me from stopping playing the game forever was when they came up with the "Barebones Objective" playlist to keep the killstreak/nuke whores away.

And as to the dude above, look, not getting in to a whine/complaining debate here, there is a thread for that. And yes, the controller doesn't AIM for them so I'm sure they have some skill. But the fact remains, a modded controller gives any player using it an advantage the they aren't supposed to have, and that is why I was wondering why nothing has been done about it.

Player feedback system doesn't seem like a good way to me. I don't want to call out individuals to use these --- it would take forever. Just surprised that MS and the Game Developers can't tell when a trigger is being pulled at an EXACTLY REPEATABLE rate that is a lot faster than a human could ever do. Those things have to have signatures that really make them stand out --- if they choose to take action.

I fear MrEastSide is right though, that they just don't care. Well, I guess I'll keep that in mind when it comes time to purchase the next generation console gaming system.

They can't ban them because they have no proof they're using a these controllers. With drop shotting, are you sure they're not just good? You can just leave the game though.

i think its a bit obvious when people are shooting fal's and akimbo pistols like there fully automatic lol....between this and the new daily glitches/mods i'm completely done with this piece of shit....its so fkin overrated

If you hate it you HAVE to file a complaint instead of just whining. Sometimes I'll fire a message to the offender with something like "nice mod, cheater" and it really gets them fired up and they either leave or start some flame war about my mother. Of course I don't hear them because I've already muted them, filed a compliant and avoided them as a player. Still I am amazed how many will leave the room after they are called out.

Supposedly Gears2 and MW2 had some coding in place to "fix" the rapid fire controller mods that worked in MW1 but it didn't take long for the modders to be back in the game. For the most part the rapid fire crap doesn't bother me too much it is the controllers that are programmable to run a macro after a button push. This means they can drop shot and go full tilt rapid fire with one button press. Didn't believe until I saw someone who had the controller doing it.

Microsoft could put a custom chip or something on the circuit board and make a more closed system if they really wanted to, but since they don't do that you have to conclude that they don't really care.

Luckily the Black Ops team has opened said they intend to "support the hell" out of their game and they referenced the modding as part of what they wanted to stop. Let's all hope so.

They can't ban them because they have no proof they're using a these controllers. With drop shotting, are you sure they're not just good? You can just leave the game though.

Drop shotting... Good?

Implying any skill is required to drop shot.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:lGEbL2MPeK6V7M:http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss314/Uroboros/Funny/7041Riveting_tale_chap.jpg&t=1

http://img.perezhilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/angiewenn5527701__oPt.jpg

I dont see it too much..some people are just fast with that trigger finger...

Is that Angelina Jolie??

I'm probably going to get called an inconsiderate douche bag but here it goes. I always get called a modder although I don't have a modded controller, sure it's annoying to go up against a modded controller but in my honest opinion it's not illegal. That would be like buying a computer and they tell you that you cannot use the internet can you imagine how retarded that would be? I mean, there's plenty of turbo controllers out there so i guess those people should also be banned from Xbox live too huh?

Honestly I don't think there is anything you or Microsoft can do about it so best you can do is learn to deal with it. The community for gaming has become total shit since gaming has gone mainstream, sure it sucks but there's nothing that we can do about it. Everyone is cheating, hacking, modding and the cause of it is gaming becoming mainstream.

I can't tell you how many times a day i get friend invites from 10th prestige cheaters calling me good after playing search, I especially find it funny when i dominate someone who has the gametag XxP40x1337xQu1ck5c0p3xX running around quickscoping and i just quickscope them over and over till they send me a friend invite and i just end up declining and calling them pathetic or scrubs.

There's just too many cheaters/hackers for them to do anything in my opinion if they are going to ban they need to give 2 day bans and send a email warning if they keep hacking/cheating/modding permanently banning them also make it 1 gold account per xbox that you are allowed to create instead of 3 so they don't just make new accounts and continue hacking that's another huge problem or mistake as i like to call it.

I always get called a modder although I don't have a modded controller, sure it's annoying to go up against a modded controller but in my honest opinion it's not illegal. That would be like buying a computer and they tell you that you cannot use the internet can you imagine how retarded that would be? I mean, there's plenty of turbo controllers out there so i guess those people should also be banned from Xbox live too huh?

This statement is pretty flawed in a lot of ways. Your example about buying a computer and not being able to use the Internet is a horrible comparison, and actually proves MY point, not yours. Now a days, computers are DESIGNED with Internet access. Its a core function the manufacturers put in. Modded controllers are not! If they were, they would be sold for $80 in a Microsoft box and be available everywhere, or they would simply include those functions into the controllers that come with the console when you buy them. Instead, you have to find some "van down by the river" third party Internet site and buy them from there --- totally unofficial. Xbox's were not designed to have Autofire and scripting in their controllers. Additionally, the game Modern Warfare 2 wasn't designed to have rapid fire built in either, or it would be a selectable option with every weapon.

Modded controllers allow you to do things that the game designers and console designers DID NOT INTEND. That, by definition, is a cheat or a work-around, and yes, should be considered "illegal" to some extent.

Now is it the end of the world? No. Do a lot of people using modded controllers still suck beyond belief? Yes. And I'm not getting into the whole "I'm an awesome player so people think I cheat" debate here. That's an ignorant discussion. Its not about skill. You can tell EASILY who is using a modded controller with their akimbo pistols regardless of skill.

Lastly, it was encouraging to see the comments about COD: Black Ops. I hope that is one of their focuses, and that they do what IW couldn't, and make a fantastic multiplayer experience without the mods.

http://img.perezhilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/angiewenn5527701__oPt.jpg

I dont mind being drop shot, but I have seen people hit the deck like a sack of spuds and spring up like a jack in a box !!! When I do it, it takes ages and my reflexes are like a cats.

I'm probably going to get called an inconsiderate douche bag but here it goes. I always get called a modder although I don't have a modded controller, sure it's annoying to go up against a modded controller but in my honest opinion it's not illegal. That would be like buying a computer and they tell you that you cannot use the internet can you imagine how retarded that would be? I mean, there's plenty of turbo controllers out there so i guess those people should also be banned from Xbox live too huh?

Not flaming but that is a horrible comparison. Computers are designed to and supposed to have internet access. A better comparison would be buying a computer and using it to hack into a government site. When actually looked at from the correct point of view you can see that modding is wrong. In fact, any arguement that tries to make cheating/modding sound right is just total rubbish. You nor anybody else on this site will successfuly justify to me that cheating/modding is right in any way, shape, or form. sorry

Consoles did make online gaming nice since everyone had to use the same equipment. But, now people are figuring out how to connect their XBoxs to their PC to use exploits and cheats, so any advantage that consoles had over PCs as far as online gaming have pretty much gone out the window. And MS talks a big game about not liking cheaters, but in the end, really doesn't ever seem to do anything about it. They're more concerned with banning people who have modded their XBoxs to play copied games then they are about banning for cheating during online play. Why? Because people playing copied games lose them money, people cheating doesn't hurt them at all.

It's all about money if you ask me. If MS bans or suspends people who cheat, they potentially lose a paying XBox Live customer. Why would they want to do that? So they talk a big game about not liking cheaters and punishing them, but in the end, do nothing.

microsoft is a business. like all other businesses, they want money, thats the point of it. no one really cares about our satisfaction, as long as their wallets are thick, they are fine.

people need to get this through their heads and stop complaining

Edited by BSC YoungBoy

Drop shot has nothing to do with a modded controller and I fail to see how a modded controller could possibly make you reload faster.

All in all there is only a grand total of 11 guns that receive any sort of benefit from rapid fire controllers, and 3 of those are burst fire anyway. I'm in no way defending anyone who decides to go outside of the game's built in mechanics in order to gain any kind of advantage, but modded controllers just really aren't that big of a deal. If you get killed by a full auto FAL, chances are good that the guy would have been using a SCAR if he didn't have his controller and you'd be just as dead.

Drop shot has nothing to do with a modded controller and I fail to see how a modded controller could possibly make you reload faster.

All in all there is only a grand total of 11 guns that receive any sort of benefit from rapid fire controllers, and 3 of those are burst fire anyway. I'm in no way defending anyone who decides to go outside of the game's built in mechanics in order to gain any kind of advantage, but modded controllers just really aren't that big of a deal. If you get killed by a full auto FAL, chances are good that the guy would have been using a SCAR if he didn't have his controller and you'd be just as dead.

Yes, they could be using the scar but chances are they are using the UMP. They are also referring to the jitter mod controllers. Example: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6qXLmTRIE8]YouTube - Jitter Rapid Fire Modded Controller Examples[/ame]

P.S. Your quote is epic. LOL

@MCbob

I'm not saying modding is ok because it isn't. Microsoft can easily fix it by releasing a new circuit board for the controllers that if you try to modify it it will brick your controller and render it useless. However, they are just going to spend millions of dollars and there's already hundreds of thousands of controllers out there which people can buy used or even broken and find the parts for them to mod. There's just no use.

The point i was trying to make with my analogy is that they are trying to get the most out of their controller, I guess I should of used a Phone/PSP as an example instead since those have the potential for lots of stuff it's just not enabled.

The fact still remains that people are going to abuse it is simple and they feel entitled. Is it illegal? NO. Will people abuse it? YES. Why because it's so easy to look up on Youtube how to mod a controller and follow along with the video to mod your controller.

But yeah just because the feature isn't enabled doesn't mean its not there.

Edited by Hitohax

To whomever seems to think there aren't many people using them. My buddies and I started keeping track and filing player complaints each time we see someone with them, at the recommendation of someone above. Not that we think it will do anything, but at least we can avoid that player in the future.

It is SHOCKING to us how many people are using them these days. To anyone who says they don't see them. We are running into a minimum of two players PER GAME that are using them. I played for three hours today, not one single 6on6 game was modded controller free. There was always someone running around rocking the dual autofire pistols.

Do the math, thats a bit more than 10% from tonight. I think there are a lot more people using these cheats than people realize.

I REALLY hope COD: Black Ops is all over this. I'm quitting MW2 to play Halo: Reach and will probably never be back. I'll try COD:BO and see if its any better and if they can keep the cheats out. MW2 was a massive failure as a multiplayer game IMO (not just because of this controller stuff, this has been recent from what I can tell). I hope Black Ops is better and more enjoyable, and if not, well I'll probably stay in the Halo universe for a while. :)

Yes. In a 6 on 6 games, we saw no less than two each game. I realize that may be on the high side, but thats what it was tonight. Still, its surprising to me given you cant buy these things in just any store. Thats a lot of people going for some aftermarket stuff, dropping $100-$120 to get a perceived edge in ONE GAME (they dont appear to work in any other games). Kinda pathetic really.