All Questions Regarding the Gears of War 3 Beta

Blarghinator

Hello all, I have decided to make a Gears of War 3 Q&A list because of the amounts of threads constantly being added everyday! So lets begin!

Q. Does Bulletstorm give you access to the Gears of War 3 Beta?

A. Yes

Q. Is Bulletstorm the only way to access the Gears of War 3 Beta?

A. No

Q. Does the Bulletstorm Epic Edition Disk or Code give you access to the Gears of War 3 Beta?

A. The Bulletstorm Epic Edition Code and Disk.

Q. When does the Gears of War Beta begin?

A. For Bulletstorm Epic Edition owners: April 18th. For Others: April 25th.

Q.Will the Gears of War 3 Beta code work with more than one profile?

A. No. One profile per code.

Q.Do all editions of Bulletstorm give you access to The Gears of War 3 Beta or just Epic Edition.

A. Just Epic Edition

Q. Does the Epic Edition give you EARLIER access to the Gears of War 3 Beta.

A. Yes

Q. What are the other ways to access the Gears of War 3 Beta?

A. As of now there are a total of 3 ways to access the Gears of War 3 Beta. 1.Bulletstorm Epic Edition. 2.Pre-ordering Gears of War 3. 3.Somehow obtain one of the limited codes that will somehow be distributed by Epic/People Can Fly/EA.

Q. Will there be any virtual items for the owners of Bulletstorm in Gears of War 3.

A. The lancer in Gears of War 3 will be "flaming."

Feel free to give feedback and suggest other questions.

Edited by Blarghinator

I believe it's only the Epic Edition of this particular game. I'm not sure of any other Epic-developed games coming out before the GoW 3 beta that could offer the same deal, but all the signage I remember seeing at Gamestop and all the commercials I have seen on TV said something like "Buy the Epic Edition, get access to GoW3 beta". No mention of other offers or other versions of the game offering access.

do all editions of bulletstorm give you access? or is it only the epic edition?

ONLY the Epic Edition of Bulletstorm will give you beta access. Regular editions will not. So get it while you can.

does the epic edition give you earlier access to the beta?

Mid-April is the time that you get to play if you have Bulletstorm Epic Edition. So that is when "early access" begins. The other ways, whatever they are, will get in some time after that.

No sticky please.

Thanks for your contribution. You've added so much to this thread. :rolleyes:

Actually Epic has told us what the 'other' method of getting in is. They have an undisclosed number of download codes to give out to download the beta from Marketplace. What you need to do to get one of those codes has yet to be announced.

People who get in this way will get access sometime after the bulletstorm people have had their exclusive playtime.

i rented the game from gamefly. in order to play the gears beta, should i

purchase the online code when the game starts up or do i have to purchase the game and get the code from inside the box?

You need the code from INSIDE the box. The EA Code from the marketplace doesn't get you beta. And I would suggest trying to find an epic edition locally. You don't know if that copy you rented is an epic edition or not.

Also, beta dates announced:

@GearsofWar3 Gears 3 Beta Launching on Xbox LIVE in April. This is your chance to help shape the most anticipated game of 2011. http://ow.ly/47Var

@GearsViking Lots of Q's - yes if you pre-order from Gamestop, you get into the Beta (a week after Bulletstorm owners)

@GearsViking More Q's - Yes Bulletstorm beta players will get their week head start and will continue thru the remaining 3 weeks as well

In short, Buy Bulletstorm Epic, play Gears 3 beta April 18th. Preorder Gears 3 from Gamestop (Or in the UK, Game) play it on the 25th.

Also, Rod (GearsViking) said that preordering is the ONLY other option besides playing through Bulletstorm. No open beta, no download codes on the dashboard, etc. Just those two ways.

Edited by Worhammer

All the details were released today, looks like all you need to do to get a download code for the beta is pre-order gears 3 at gamestop.

Enlist in the most explosive gaming event of the spring: the Gears of War 3 Multiplayer Beta!

Get into the Beta by preordering Gears of War 3 through select retailers. The Beta begins April 25 and ends May 15.

For those of you who purchased the Bulletstorm Epic Edition (on Xbox 360 only), you get early access to the Beta, beginning April 18.

Three new multiplayer modes and four exclusive maps will be rolled out during the Beta period -- all running on dedicated servers. This is your chance to help shape the most anticipated game of 2011.

In the Beta you can play Team Deathmatch mode on the four new maps (Thrashball, Checkout, Trenches, and Old Town); Capture the Leader and King of the Hill gameplay modes will be added later in the Beta period. Also, be sure to look out for a surprise event weekend that you won't want to miss.

Not only will you get an early taste of the final chapter in this blockbuster trilogy, but you'll also have access to exclusive content that you can permanently unlock and carry over to your Gears of War 3 gamer profile when the retail game launches on September 20.

Exclusive Beta Unlockables

• Flaming Hammerburst
    Complete one match by Sunday, April 24 to permanently unlock.
  • Flaming Lancer
    Complete one match during the week of April 25 to permanently unlock.
  • Flaming Sawed-Off Shotgun
    Complete one match during the week of May 2 to permanently unlock.
  • Flaming Gnasher Shotgun
    Complete one match during the week of May 9 to permanently unlock.
  • Beta Tester Medal -- Wear it proudly, Gear.
    Complete one match in the Beta to permanently unlock.
  • Thrashball Cole -- Unlock Thrashball Cole to play as Augustus Cole as he was before Emergence Day -- a legendary Thrashball athlete known for his ferocious, flamboyant style.
    Complete 50 matches in any game type to unlock for the Beta period.
    To permanently unlock, complete 10 matches as Thrashball Cole during the Beta period.
  • Gold-Plated Retro Lancer -- Before the chainsaw bayonet was deployed at the beginning of the Locust-Human War, the original Lancer assault rifle had a large fixed blade.
    Complete 90 matches in any game type to unlock for the Beta period.
    To permanently unlock, score 100 kills with the Gold-Plated Retro Lancer during the Beta period.

http://gearsofwar.xbox.com/Templates/Secondary.aspx?id=2004

I'm sure I'm not the only person in this postition so I wanted to put it out here now that the Beta has been announced.

Like most here, I picked up the Bulletstorm Epic eddition, which grants early access to the Beta. Now, Gamestop (where I got the game) was also throwing in a free pre-order for Gears 3 with the purchase of Bulletstorm, so I got that as well.

Today I get a text from Gamestop telling me to come in and pick up my Beta code. The text didn't specify, but I assume I'm getting that code as a result of the Gears 3 pre-order.

My question is, do I need a code? It was my understanding that the Bulletstorm EE disc would get me into the beta all on its own. I just want to make sure I don't actually need the code as well. I may still go pick it up and give it to a friend but I'd hate to promise it and then find out I actually need it.

I'm sure I'm not the only person in this postition so I wanted to put it out here now that the Beta has been announced.

Like most here, I picked up the Bulletstorm Epic eddition, which grants early access to the Beta. Now, Gamestop (where I got the game) was also throwing in a free pre-order for Gears 3 with the purchase of Bulletstorm, so I got that as well.

Today I get a text from Gamestop telling me to come in and pick up my Beta code. The text didn't specify, but I assume I'm getting that code as a result of the Gears 3 pre-order.

My question is, do I need a code? It was my understanding that the Bulletstorm EE disc would get me into the beta all on its own. I just want to make sure I don't actually need the code as well. I may still go pick it up and give it to a friend but I'd hate to promise it and then find out I actually need it.

I was wondering the same thing... i got a txt a few days ago, saying come get your code where you preordered: are they referring to Bulletstorm or Gow3, or what? idk lol

I was wondering the same thing... i got a txt a few days ago, saying come get your code where you preordered: are they referring to Bulletstorm or Gow3, or what? idk lol

They're referring to the beta code from your Gears 3 preorder. Your beta code from Bulletstorm Epic edition was included with the online pass inside the game itself.

I personally am going to get that beta code and sell it on ebay. Bwahaha!

If you have Bulletstorm, you don't need the Gamestop code you just get that code too because gamestop customers who bought BS also got $5 towards their Gears 3 pre-order. Since anyone who pre-orders with gamestop also gets a beta code, you end up with two entries into the beta.

One reason you might want to use the Gamestop code is if you want to trade/sell your bulletstorm disc. The gamestop code will download the beta to your hard drive, no bulletstorm disc needed.