The Official Bitching Thread

Crimson Ridley

They should have made it so you would have to complete the lower difficulties before you can access the higher ones. Gets really obnoxious when a newbie thinks you're going to carry them and proceed to run around like an idiot.

Also, like many have said, they could have cut down on how much times it takes to complete all of the chapters. Mind you, it never took me very long to complete the game, an hour or less for me per chapter. But it was still annoying basically having to sprint through the whole chapter and ignore the enemies completely to get through it "quickly".

Another point: J'avo. These mofos constantly mutate and it annoys the living crap out of me. While I do applaud them for trying something new other than just regular "bleeeeeh" zombies, at certain points, it just needs to stop immediately.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been making an effort to complete RE6 recently after having it sitting on my shelf for over a year. I'm committed to finishing the game at least, I've done Chris and Jake's campaigns, and am on Chapter 5 in Leon's, so I feel that I should at least finish it. I've come to the conclusion though, that it's just decidedly "meh".

Gameplay, or rather, gunplay, has never been the strongest suit of the RE series. The early games were built on atmosphere and the bursts of tension associated with enemy encounters and a restrictive camera and control scheme. RE4 and 5 brought a more responsive control scheme but kept some of the tension through the move or shoot setup.

RE6, however, has attempted to go for the full-on action approach. Characters can move and shoot at the same time, dive and roll, and take cover. The game I keep comparing this to the most, is the Gears of War series. Big-ass monsters, 3rd person cover-based shooting, and melee attacks. The problem is that RE6 is nowhere near as responsive or fluid as Gears. I keep wanting to dive and roll, or to seamlessly pop in and out of cover, and it just doesn't happen. For me, it feels like a half-assed control system that just doesn't fit the type of gameplay they're trying to encourage. I actually prefer RE5's restricted movement, as the gameplay was better tuned to match it.

Moving on to the camera. The constantly changing camera angle and "running" scenes just stink of an attempt to recapture old glories from older RE titles. But it just doesn't work. It's fiddly and counter-intuitive. I'll be a little controversial here and suggest that even revisiting the older RE titles, the camera angles will be annoying nowadays, given the advances made in recent years.

There are plenty of other complaints, too. The lack of a pause function drives me insane. I get that they're trying to introduce "tension", but in reality, this is just inconvenient. I don't often get the chance to play 1 hour-90 minutes solid without interruption, so I find myself having to die just to "pause" the game. Coupled with the infuriating checkpoint/saving system, and the fact that you have to reach a "saving" point to be able to quit out, it's like they're just trying to make it a chore.

To throw in a few other rants: getting knocked over by snipers while sitting through the animation of attacking an enemy, the ridiculous enemies (J'Avo in general), cheap-ass bosses, useless partner AI, overuse of QTEs, horrible health system, some terrible boss design (Simmons anyone?), and the general identity crisis the game suffers.

Anyway, apologies for the massive rant (it is a bitching thread though), and this is all obviously just my personal opinion, but I'm not really sure that I'll be buying a Resident Evil game again until they have a better idea of what it is they're actually trying to do.

I'm working my way through the last of the 4 campaigns (basically forcing myself to get through it all), and I 100% agree with the above post.

I actually think if you throw out the "expensively produced" cutscenes - and just look at the horrendous gameplay. Resident Evil 6 is actually one of the worst games of the last generation, if not of all time.

I mean we have:

-Bullet Sponge enemies: check

-Bullet Sponge protagonists: (for "balance"?) check

-Insanely linear, insanely narrow corridors: check

-Horrible, shaky camera that never is where you really want it to be: check

-Dizzying field of view: check.

-AI glitches: check

-Boss fights, that require you to fail before you "figure it out": check (there was particular one in Chris campaign where I wasted *ALL* of my ammo 3 times trying to kill the boss, and ran around like a retard for 45 minutes each slowly replenishing ammo, before I finally looked up online that you had to MELEE the boss cacoon phase to trigger a QTE...wow...and of course repeat this 3 or 4 times).

-cheap deaths caused by cutscenes: check

-vehicle sections straight out of low budget game (i.e. floaty/bad physics): check (not once mind you, but you get a complete trifecta of car, jet, jetski, did I miss anything?)... i live how the car chase seemed to just go in a circle infinitely... probably until I triggered some scene.

Is there anything at all about the gameplay that's actually done WELL?

It's truly maddening some of the design choices that went into this miserable game.

I don't recall ever thinking RE5 was even close to this bad. No idea how the core gameplay could have actually gotten so much WORSE. I guess maybe RE6 was a little overly ambitious, it almost feels like nobody actually sat and actually PLAYED the game before they released it. You know, just to make sure it was actually playable and fun...

Edited by 2Chalupas

• 4 months later...

There is the "additional 3 mode pack" which is $4.49 and doesn't include the "Siege mode."

The "Siege mode" costs $3.99 on its own. This is a really dumb decision.

I can go into a physical store and buy this game for $4.99 and the DLCs cost more than the price of the game alone. This is why I have been going to used games instead of brand new.

• 1 year later...

How much do I loathe thee? Let me count the ways:

- camera is far too close, meaning you're constantly getting blindsided by enemies you didn't see.

- endless ridiculous action sequences. There is absolutely no tension since our heroes walk away without a scratch every time, and no sense of progression or stakes because it cranks everything up from the word go

- fighting the same boss over and over again. In Leon's campaign you fight him 4-5 times in one chapter, and it gets mind numbingly tedious.

- not being clear if you're supposed to run away from a boss or fight them, thus wasting ammo. Also it's often hard to tell if you're even damaging it

- QTEs

- getting knocked to the floor by a slight breeze, get up only to be knocked down again

- stupid enemy and partner AI that fire at walls or completely ignore eachother.

- worst cover system ever

- worst stealth system ever

- the running into the screen segments. Chris' one on the collapsing walkway was just painful

- not enough ammo

- bizarre design choices, like restart checkpoint being labelled as restart from the beginning, picking up health and then having to store it and it never being clear when the game saves your progress

- why does the Humvee have nitrous? how can you sneak an aircraft carrier into a harbour with no one seeing it? Why did the gun shop owner not just put the shutters down right away? How can one rocket kill a boss after 10,000 rounds of ammo do nothing? God this is stupid.

- lots of the enemies look more comical than scary.

As for positives, you can't accuse it of lacking variety, the voice acting is good, and it's so badly programmed you only have to beat the last part of each chapter on a higher difficulty for it to credit you with clearing the whole game. But overall it was about as fun as playing Gears of War if you could only see half the screen, had a quarter of the ammo, the cover system didn't work and you got knocked over every time you got hit. I've really enjoyed most of the RE games over the years, and even thought 5 wasn't as bad as most people said (although no masterpiece) but this was just abysmal. Still, lets hope RE7 and the RE2 remake go back to past glories.