Does this happen anymore?

Eggnogga

Last night, I was trying to remember the last time I read a review for a top-notch video game title prior to the game actually releasing, and I couldn't remember when it was. It feels like it's been at least 5 years. Have these gone by the wayside now? Not that it truly matters, but you'd think a video game developer/publisher would be confident in their products and the positive reviews would help to build up the hype.

Thoughts?

I think the publishers/developers want it this way as negative reviews before release can kill sales. They don't want people cancelling their preorders before the game is released. I'm sure there's some sort of deal with people getting the review copies that they can't post a review until it's released. I notice some movie studios doing the same thing with some movies.

Pretty certain Halo 4's reviews came out a week before release.

Oh yeah, thoughts. Good for those that want avoid reviews and go into games with as little pre-conceived notions of what might happen. This is what I'm doing for DS3 right now (out Friday!).

I couldn't shake the thought of 'So I wonder how bad this ending is...' whilst playing Mass Effect 3.

Not sure reviews released weeks before the game comes out are any better or well informed than those that drop the day of release. How can anyone properly review a game's multiplayer component in a public setting before it comes out? They can't.

Edited by Hurricane Of 87

Depending on the review really. If it's highly positive, you'll probably see it right away. If the review completely destroys the game, expect it on or a few days after release date. Especially from a big name group.

Like someone else said, it could cause people to cancel pre-orders and prevent many from buying the title thus killing sales. AKA Resident Evil 6, which didn't sell nearly as much due mostly to bad word of mouth and some other factors. Unfortunately it appears DmC has fallen into the same boat.

Last one I remember was on this site for Halo: Reach

I could be wrong though, but I've noticed this too.

At least the reviewers are looking out for the companies, but isn't it there job to give an accurate opinion on the game so people can decide if they should spend their money on it. Kind of aggravating as a consumer. You don't really see movie critics doing this. Good thing I only read reviews to see if other people share the same opinion as mine.

I don't remember the last review I read...maybe Skyrim because I was so ready for it to come out. But generally, I don't read them. I'd rather look at game videos and go from there.

That's what I do. Videos, images, content leaks. I love the reviews OXM gives out to games I'm very excited for, especially those fine pictures! I do however miss reading X360A reviews and I don't know why I haven't lately, maybe college is getting into the way! :drunk