What do you think is the best stats to start with?

Pricelessatx

Your S.P.E.C.I.A.L distribution should be determined by the type of character you plan to play as. Intelligence is always key as previous posters have mentioned. In addition Strength is important if you plan do be a melee/unarmed character and for the ability to carry more weight. Agility is important if you plan to use guns/energy weapons because it gives you more V.A.T.S. points. Endurance is nice to have moderatly high because then you can get more implants later when you find the Clinic. Luck is mostly pointless. As is Perception if you plan on having Ed-E and Boone in your party (which you should).

As for as skills go you should always make sure speech, lockpick, science and your main weapon skill (based on what type of weapon you plan to use the most) are the first ones you focus on. I usually like to try to get these near to 50 as quickly as possible. After that repair, medicine and barter are nice skills to jack. Its also a good idea to put explosives near to 25 at the very beginning so you can get Pete to help you quickly for the early Ringo mission.

The beginning traits all kind of suck. The positives rarely outweigh the negatives. The two that suck the least are Wild Wasteland (no real negatives, plus it creates some crazy fun in game changes) and Kamikaze.

When picking perks always go for the ones that give bonuses to your main style of play. For instance if you like to use rifles or pistols in V.A.T.S from medium to long range pick traits that give you bonuses to accuracy or increase your action points. Here are some picks I like to try to get when using a character focusing on small guns: Educated, Gunslinger/commando (if you plan on using pistols more then gunslinger, if rifles take commando), Strongback, Toughness, Sniper, Tag!, Concentrated Fire and Grim Reaper's Sprint. Other perks to consider are Longhaul, Lifegiver and Math Wrath. If you are at a point where you can't choose any of these perks or you have them all always consider Intense Training and Action Boy. I usually get at least two ranks in both Intense Training and Action Boy.

Basically the key is to decide what you want your character to be (remember there aren't enough points to go around to make him ridiculously well-rounded) and jack stuff up accordingly. Usually you will end up with a fair amount of skills that have little to no points distributed to them and thats a good thing.

Edited by bigbear.

I'm currently on my first Playthrough playing a Evil Type,just to see how things are going.Currently playing on a Guns style.I will start a second Playthrough soon to do everything.I have some questions though:

1.It is hard to play a Unarmerd/Melee style ? 2

2.What the hell is wrong with NCR ? They are everybody.How I am supposed to be evil if there way more good people than evil ?

3.In S.P.E.C.I.A.L I chose 6 to everything except Luck where I chose 4.Why is Intelligence so important ?

I'm currently on my first Playthrough playing a Evil Type,just to see how things are going.Currently playing on a Guns style.I will start a second Playthrough soon to do everything.I have some questions though:

1.It is hard to play a Unarmerd/Melee style ? 2

2.What the hell is wrong with NCR ? They are everybody.How I am supposed to be evil if there way more good people than evil ?

3.In S.P.E.C.I.A.L I chose 6 to everything except Luck where I chose 4.Why is Intelligence so important ?

Answer to question #1: If you are familiar with the game and are decent at building a character: NO. In fact I think that my Unarmed/Melee character is my most powerful character as far as combat is concerned (of course I kept my small guns respectable just in case). Also its a good idea to have companions with good med/long range gun skills if your character is CQC based. Boone and Ed-E is my favorite companion pairing.

Answer to question #2: It is very hard to be an evil character right from the beginning because of how ubiquitous the NCR is in the wasteland. I would suggest trying to stay neutral or slightly good until you are invited to Caesar's camp after meeting Mr. House.

Answer to question #3: Intelligence is important because you get more skill points to distribute when you level the higher you intelligence is. Your distribution of S.P.E.C.I.A.L points is a pretty solid way to do it if you want a fairly balanced character. However, it is nice to start with a higher intelligence then 6 because then you can get more skill points. That combined with the fact that you can raise your SPECIAL stats by going to the Clinic north of the Strip and by using the Intense Training perk makes having a high an intelligence early a smart way to go since you can raise the other ones later.

Edited by bigbear.

Don't put your intelligence at 1 straight away, hoever suggested that is moronic. Put it at 9, then buy the intelligence implant rom the New Vegas Medical clinic. Infact do that for every skill, put them at one less then you want them, as you can increase them all buy 1. I'd have Luck at 8, buy the implant and Intense Training Luck at level 2. Also Strength isn't necassarry unless you plan to use he Balistic Fist on an unarmed character, in which the the max you want to put it is 6 (7 with implant, then pick the perk that lowers all weapon strength requirements by 2). Charisma should always be at 1, it's not necasarry to be higher as everthing an be passed with a speech challenge, and companions are an optional part of the game.

The most important skills early on are Science, Lockpick, Speech. After those are about 50 each, you want to start levelling your central combat skill (Unarmed, Explosives, Guns etc).

Some of the must have perks include:

Better Criticals

Finesse

Comprehension (BEFORE you start reading skill books. If you pick this and obtain every skill book, then every skill is raised by 16 excep Science, which is raised by 20. With Dead Money, if you find all the skills books in that then your sills will increase by 4 each)

Educated (so you can distribute more skill points)

Jury Rigging (just makes life so much easier)

Silent Running (again, makes life so much easier).

Some excellent, but not required perks are:

Ninja

Nerves Of Steel

Sniper

Commando

Paralyzing Palm

Pretty much any unarmed perk

Toughness

Weapon Handling (this is the one that lowers strength requirements).

I can not judge traits, but the ones with the highest payoff are:

Small Frame

Wild Wasteland (which earns you the Alien Blaster, one of, if not, the strongest weapons in the game).

At level 35, these are my skills. All skill books have been read and no skill increasing perk (such as Little Leaguer, the early ones etc) were taken.

Barter: 75 (with 75 Barter I can sell the Dead Money Gold Bars at 8500 - 10000, depending on faction).

Energy Weapons: 86 (Energy weapons are strong and very abundant in ammo later in the game).

Explosives: 40 (There's not enough warrant to use explosives unless you plan to build a class around it).

Guns: 100 (Obviously)

Lockpick: 100 (Obviousy)

Medicine: 80 (Stimpaks heal a good amount of health, but feel free to make it lower/higher).

Melee Weapons: 85 (Just for the hell of it).

Reapair: 100 (Obviously)

Science: 100 (Obviously)

Sneak: 85 (With Silent Running, levelling up sneak becomes almost obsolete but sneak attack criticals become stronger, and they are amazing).

Speech: 100 (Obviously)

Survival: 45 (Unless you plan on making poisons or using food/drink instead of stimpaks, this sill isn't necasarry, even on hardcore. I have the hardcore achievement, so I would know.)

Unarmed: 90 (Unarmed is such an OP weapons class. Weapons like the Ballistic Fist and Pushy render even the strongest of enemies useless).

Those are just my stats and as you can see, they focus around a weapon build but also being able to go where I want and do what I want. I'm obviously not saying copy me, make your own character, but my stats form the basis of an all around character.

I'd have Luck at 8, buy the implant and Intense Training Luck at level 2.

You might be the only person I've ever seen that cares about Luck. The prevailing opinion on this board has always been that its mostly useless. Other then that very nice character build.

What about Agility ? How much points should I distribute there if I'm going to use Melee/Unarmed ?

Interesting question...I normally only raise Agility because of the V.A.T.S benefits. Since V.A.T.S isn't quite as important for a melee/unarmed character you may only want it at 5/6. Maybe even only 4 then get it to 5 with an implant later (I probably wouldn't do this though). Thing is V.A.T.S is still nice to use with a melee/unarmed character because of the special attacks you can get (uppercut alone is beastly). So I guess the answer is, don't worry about it as much as you would with a guns/energy weapon character but don't completely forget about it either.

Edited by bigbear.

• 3 weeks later...

Barter: 75 (with 75 Barter I can sell the Dead Money Gold Bars at 8500 - 10000, depending on faction).

Energy Weapons: 86 (Energy weapons are strong and very abundant in ammo later in the game).

Explosives: 40 (There's not enough warrant to use explosives unless you plan to build a class around it).

Guns: 100 (Obviously)

Lockpick: 100 (Obviousy)

Medicine: 80 (Stimpaks heal a good amount of health, but feel free to make it lower/higher).

Melee Weapons: 85 (Just for the hell of it).

Reapair: 100 (Obviously)

Science: 100 (Obviously)

Sneak: 85 (With Silent Running, levelling up sneak becomes almost obsolete but sneak attack criticals become stronger, and they are amazing).

Speech: 100 (Obviously)

Survival: 45 (Unless you plan on making poisons or using food/drink instead of stimpaks, this sill isn't necasarry, even on hardcore. I have the hardcore achievement, so I would know.)

Unarmed: 90 (Unarmed is such an OP weapons class. Weapons like the Ballistic Fist and Pushy render even the strongest of enemies useless).

Those are just my stats and as you can see, they focus around a weapon build but also being able to go where I want and do what I want. I'm obviously not saying copy me, make your own character, but my stats form the basis of an all around character.

I see you've got both energy weapons and guns high. Right now I'm kinda torn between putting points in both or focusing on one, my small guns is around mid 70s and my energy weapons is like 30 points lower (at lvl 18), however I have hardly any ammo for my bullets weapons but have energy wep ammo pouring out from every orrifice.

I've been putting 5-6 points into speech since about lvl 10 as I quickly noticed how useful it was and how often it cropped up in convos. I will defo have it maxed out come the final battle.