Why is Alistair always king?

nicidee

I have tried every way I can think of, multiple play-throughs to get Alistair to stay a Grey Warden & not take the throne but nothing seems to work. Everything goes fine at the Landsmeet: Loghain is executed (I duel him & kill him), then I support Anora for the throne & she agrees, and as her first order of business she's like "Alistair has to renounce all claim to the throne" and he's all "Gladly, never wanted it..."

Then there is a brief cutscene/convo with Anora where she tells me to meet her & the Arl in Redcliffe...and then she is never seen again for the rest of the game! After that point, no matter what action I take, the game basically assumes Alistair is taking the throne. What gives?

FYI, my character is a female warden (Dalish Elf) who is in a romance w/Alistair, although I wouldn't think that would make a difference.

• 1 month later...

Even if Alistair leaves the group, he can still become king.

IIRC you can have Alistair duel Loghain and he WILL kill him. Since Anora doesn't want to marry the one who killed her father, Alistair won't become king. Hopefully.

After you rescue Anora from the Arl of Denerim's estate (and subsequently escape from imprisonment), you get to talk to her (and possibly the Arl of Redcliffe and this other Grey Warden) about the Landsmeet. When doing that, completely support Anora's claim for the throne and make it clear that Alistair is not fit for ruling and will not become king under any circumstances. Maybe that helps.

Whatever the case, let Alistair kill Loghain.

• 2 weeks later...
I have tried every way I can think of, multiple play-throughs to get Alistair to stay a Grey Warden & not take the throne but nothing seems to work. Everything goes fine at the Landsmeet: Loghain is executed (I duel him & kill him), then I support Anora for the throne & she agrees, and as her first order of business she's like "Alistair has to renounce all claim to the throne" and he's all "Gladly, never wanted it..."

Then there is a brief cutscene/convo with Anora where she tells me to meet her & the Arl in Redcliffe...and then she is never seen again for the rest of the game! After that point, no matter what action I take, the game basically assumes Alistair is taking the throne. What gives?

FYI, my character is a female warden (Dalish Elf) who is in a romance w/Alistair, although I wouldn't think that would make a difference.

It's a known bug. Anora is still Queen. Alistair will always talk like he is King after the landsmeet. Once you import your character to Awakening Anora will show up.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I had something similar happen in my last play through.

I kept Loghain alive, and had Alistair married off to Anora, yet for the rest of the game, and then the subsequent play through of Awakening and 2 it acted as though Alistair was King alone.

Must just be an annoying bug :(