Precious Medal Guide

agentnnc

Dear god I finally completed this achievement. "Sing" was my last song (though Cult of Personality took me the most attempts - over 19).

One of the useful combos for me during the last few was Band Mate, Flame Notes, Super _______. Managed to get within the top 100 of Shout with Jackpot, Blast Notes, Super guitar (using jackpot on the long double sustains in guitar tracks.)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I goldstarred two songs yesterday, I really had problems with before, wanted to give you feedback and back up Gigatoreador's solution.

So first:

Cult of Personality - Living Colour

Cutoff: 369,000

Power ups: Road Rage - Blast Notes - Super Guitar

When you're ready to deploy road rage go in the drum lane so it starts from vocals giving you more points for each use. Make bomb notes a priority to get multipliers up quickly and to rake in points during high density sections. If you're in blitz mode and are afraid to lose it to hit a blast note do not chance it, especially if you're on guitar because all other multipliers are maxed out.

That song was hard for me to five star at first let alone gold star. I was missing like 100.000 points and this configuration didn't do it for me. I finalle gold starred it with the combination of Bandmate - Flame Notes - Super Guitar.

I was really unfamiliar with Bandmate before, I usually use Bottle Rockets and Blast Notes. In combination with Flame Notes Bandmate is superb, let it run wild on guitar while you focus on other lanes to get the multiplier up and combine it at least 2 or 3 times with Flame Notes (the notes to start Flame Notes seemd rare at my playthrough, maybe I missed some - but if you have full energy, deploy it and don't let any new energy notes go to waste). You can collect more than 100.000 points through flame notes easily this way and don't have to worry about your performance in the crazy solo. I got 387,660 points that way.

So Far Away - Avenged Sevenfold

Cutoff: 298 000

Note: This strategy requires a good deal of accuracy.

You'll want to be switching between paths for overdrive energy, as always. Always stay near the keyboard when it shows up, jumping to vocals when a long note appears on keyboard. Always use Road Rage whenever possible when all instruments are in play, you'll get some track multipliers which gives you more room to spare jumping from keyboard to drums.

After the second solo, both the drums and keyboard will show up. Go for keyboard as soon as possible, play every note until the bass shows up, play bass up to max multiplier, switch back to keyboard straight after. Use Road Rage to get the drum notes, while you switch between keyboard/bass and then quickly run up to drums. After this, continue as normal, but keep to your Super instrument about 40 seconds before the end. You'll probably need to milk as many points at this moment, and track multiplier should not be a concern if you're playing effectively.

This strategy is good and might work, but it did not for me, always beeing 10.000 to 15.000 points short in the end. The key to gold star this song is to get the multiplier up and the biggest problem is the key section with long notes and that there are generally so few of them that you have to concentrate on the key lane. Like the solution says start playing the long key notes and switch right back to the vocal lane to keep playing those, watch out for energy sections and switch to other lanes if you have to for your multiplier. If you do this in cooperation with Road Rage from the key lane to boost drums and bass plus guitar, you should not have any problem with the multipliers. You should try to get 20.000 bonus points for the easy guitar solo. But instead of Super Guitar use Super vocals, you can get much more points out of that, because you are mainly playing vocals while switching from keys. I finally gold starred that song in this configuration easyily with 329,663 points, so even if you do not get the 20.000 bonus points it is easily doable and don't worry, even with the guitar solo and one section without vocals, Super vocals racks up a lot of points.

That song was hard for me to five star at first let alone gold star. I was missing like 100.000 points and this configuration didn't do it for me. I finalle gold starred it with the combination of Bandmate - Flame Notes - Super Guitar.

I was really unfamiliar with Bandmate before, I usually use Bottle Rockets and Blast Notes. In combination with Flame Notes Bandmate is superb, let it run wild on guitar while you focus on other lanes to get the multiplier up and combine it at least 2 or 3 times with Flame Notes (the notes to start Flame Notes seemd rare at my playthrough, maybe I missed some - but if you have full energy, deploy it and don't let any new energy notes go to waste). You can collect more than 100.000 points through flame notes easily this way and don't have to worry about your performance in the crazy solo. I got 387,660 points that way.

Anybody that's still having trouble grabbing gold stars really needs to give flame notes, bandmate a try. With a little knowledge of the track that you're working with and where the notes hit or when tracks dip in and out of play, you can keep flame notes going for a super long time.

The only thing that can top it at this point is jackpot, flame notes, but that hinges entirely on, not only full knowledge of the track, but also being completely comfortable with when to do an appropriate lane change. Bandmate may only net you, figuratively not literally, 2x if you consider regular point values, but the difference between it and jackpot's 3x is that it's not going to miss. So long as you put bandmate on a border instrument (drums, vocals or keys) and let it rip on a flame note on the horizon and you stick right beside it, you'll hit flame notes over and over until you run out of overdrive, and even then you could keep gong for awhile longer if you lane change after the overdrive runs out to that instrument you had bandmate on.

Harmonix calls flame notes "random", but after you watch it for awhile, you'll figure out that they mean "random" in the sense of where it springs up after you activate it at first. once you get that chain going, you'll know where flame notes will pop up.

After awhile you'll know where flame notes will even spawn behind you and curse it loudly.

• 3 weeks later...

I got 19th in the world (at time of writing) on The Wicker Man from Jackpot/Blast Notes/Super Keys. 580k points. All you have to do is play the song, collect up to full overdrive constantly, get all the multipliers up to the highest, except when there are keys. This is when the overdrive comes in. Use Jackpot on the keys, you can usually get ~50k from a full overdrive by the first keys section. I got about 175k from the last section's keys. The keys' overdrive fills up insanely fast, so you can get a lot longer if you stick with the keys.

• 1 month later...
Diamond Eyes (Boom-Lay, Boom-Lay, Boom) - Shinedown

Cutoff: 432,000

I had a LOT of trouble getting this score with the above. I was barely hitting 400k, but when I changed to Jackpot and Super Keys (using jackpot on those sustained notes = big points), I got 478k on my first try. MUCH easier, imho.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you! Rock Band Blitz is one of my all-time favorite games but I kind of suck at a lot of the songs on the list for the Precious Medal cheevo. It's been frustrating as heck but I've (after a lot of practice) am actually starting to succeed using these methods! Sometimes I play just to relax, too..but dang I want that achievement! I'm on the path now thanks to all of you!

Edited by judogrrl
I meant to thank everyone who contribited!

• 1 year later...

I have found something that will go a long way towards getting gold stars: Synchrony. It's how I GS's the 3 demo songs along with the Point Doubler/Bottle Rocket and Blast Notes. And that WAS in the demo! Now that I have the full suite, I can probably get GS's on all the main game tracks.