Feel bad about Harvesting Little Sisters?

robertfee

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG! Wimps...

Seriously, if you knew about the harvesting and the saving, and what happened when you harvested the ADAM, would you have even bought the game?

Aswel, it's a game. It's fictional. Therefore its not actually happening so theres no need to feel bad.

Yeah, i'm saving them, but thats only to get the achievement. And personally, i don't have a problem with killing little girls [in game] to get the ADAM.

I have not even met one little sister except the first one after climbing the rafters. Could anyone tell me when you meet your first little sister/ big daddy?:)And is there any chance i could just run through and eventually find the little sisters or do i have to look for all of them?

Your first litttle sister is not that far off, but still a while.. In reply to the running through idea, if you do, you will NOT get all the LS's. They come to the bodies that you have killed and try to harvest the ADAM. You will see them around, but if you want to get them all, you will have to look around for them. There's an indicator of how many left in the level on the pause screen/menu.

:uzi::Bounce:

It's so stupid to say "dude how can you feel bad it's just a video game." If you can say that and mean it 100%, then that means you have never watched a movie and felt excited when the bad guy dies or sad/upset when a good guy dies. It means you have never read a book that invoked your emotions. Hell, it even means you have never watched a TV show and laughed when something funny happened. If that is true for you then you are possibly the only truly apathetic person in the world and your opinion on feeling emotions during a video game is null and void.

They don't seem like the nicest bunch of girls themselves, I really wanna know why I hold a slug thing in my hand when I harvest them though.

Also don't they resist when you try to rescue them? Clearly they don't want anythingg to do with you. And how long would a little girl last in rapture without protection? May as well kill them now, I suppose that would be the ethical thing to do...

The reason there is a slug in them is that, correct me if im wrong, Tennebaum discovered that the sea slug had the ability to somehow gather adam by being implanted in a host. The slug is implanted in the little sisters which im certain is what contributes to their appearence. I think that combined with some mind control is what makes them little sisters, meaning thats what makes them go around mutilating corpses to collect adam. The adam is therefore mainly contained in the slug, so you get more adam by harvesting the little sister as you get the slug out intacted to take the adam from, hence holding a slug when you harvest. however you get less adam when saving as the slug is removed but destroyed in removal meaning less adam is aquired.

this is what ive gathered from the story and audio diaries from memory so i apologise if some parts are not 100% accurate but im fairly certain that is an accurate description as to the reason behind the slug thing

When I play through again I'll save them all, but the first little sister I harvested. I cackled maniacally as well.

Killing my companion cube in Portal gave me more remorse.

Hahaha I loved the companion cube... with the cute little hearts. I felt so bad roasting it after it helped me out so much lol.

As for little sisters, I'm on my first play through and i'm saving them all for the achievement, but on my second play through i'll harvest them just to see what the difference is. Though it is fiction, I agree with the people who say it's still moving in much the same way as watching a movie or reading a book and empathizing with the action there. Games like bioshock are just a different means of telling a story, just like a movie or book is, and the fact that it can create such strong emotional reactions is a testament to the excellent writing of the game's storyline. I just finished up in Neptune's Bounty and the whole subplot in the level with the diary entry of the parents looking for their missing daughter, who they suspect is a LS, is pretty sad. The game definitely incorporates some excellent storytelling elements into an action-packed adventure (wow does that sound like an internet game review or what? lol).

• 2 weeks later...