Who, in your opinion, is the hardest boss?

Slaughter.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't know how to parry, Gwyn is the hardest.

Agree, but I ended up cheating him my first time with Pyromancy :D

I struggled the most with Four Kings. On my original file, I had no clue to use that iron flesh thing. I eventually beat them without the use of the summoner witch after much frustration

I couldn't beat them on NG+++ so thats where I quit. haha

Four Kings have been my toughest by a long shot. Capra was a tough bastard the first play through but after learning what to do he's a breeze now. Queelag was tough first time through as well but she took a lot fewer attempts than Capra did. Until I got the parry ripost down I would've said Gwen but as long as you can ripost him he is not too much trouble....

Four Kings have given me trouble on each play through no matter what strategy I use. O and S have never been too much trouble for me, at least nothing like the difficulty most people seem to have with them...

I absolutely hated Bed of Chaos. Cheap ass bullshit tree thing always manages to knock me into a pit at least twice per play through.

As someone else said, Gwyn is hard if you can't parry or don't have some summoned help. In NG (and leaving out the Artorias of the Abyss bosses) I'd say that Gwyn and the Ornstein & Smough fight are the hardest if you can't parry (Gwyn) or don't have white phantoms (both boss fights). In NG+ and beyond, though, I have to give the crown to the Four Kings because if you can't effectively up your DPS and be able to dodge or tank them very well, it can be a very painful experience. GMB and the Crest Shield are very helpful in the fight, as usual, but you need 24 Faith to cast GMB and, even still, you need to maximize DPS before you have more than two Kings spawned.

As someone else said, Gwyn is hard if you can't parry or don't have some summoned help. In NG (and leaving out the Artorias of the Abyss bosses) I'd say that Gwyn and the Ornstein & Smough fight are the hardest if you can't parry (Gwyn) or don't have white phantoms (both boss fights). In NG+ and beyond, though, I have to give the crown to the Four Kings because if you can't effectively up your DPS and be able to dodge or tank them very well, it can be a very painful experience. GMB and the Crest Shield are very helpful in the fight, as usual, but you need 24 Faith to cast GMB and, even still, you need to maximize DPS before you have more than two Kings spawned.

Oh my goodness I forgot O & S. I had summoner help on all three playthroughs (on Xbox 360 anyway) and completely forgot how painful it was to beat them without help at my friends house. :/

Oh my goodness I forgot O & S. I had summoner help on all three playthroughs (on Xbox 360 anyway) and completely forgot how painful it was to beat them without help at my friends house. :/

Yeah, O & S can be annoying going solo, but if you come prepared, they are still very beatable alone. However, the first time, you are unlikely to have any preparation unless you read a guide or something first. I absolutely hated them the first time I played the game.

I have to take back my comment on the 4 Kings though. I just remembered a full caster build I made with 44 INT (for Crystal Soul Spear) and I blazed through NG, NG+ and NG++ with it. High level sorceries with the Dusk Crown, Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring, Tin Crystalization Catalyst and, for an extra measure, the Power Within Pyromancy, make almost every boss fight trivial... including the 4 Kings. And I only consider myself to be an average player, so "hardest" is relative to the build, I guess.

Hardest boss? For a sorcerer? Would have to look to the expansion content for that. Maybe Artorias or Manus (more likely)... if you can't dodge them.

Edited by XperimntNterror

Yeah, O & S can be annoying going solo, but if you come prepared, they are still very beatable alone. However, the first time, you are unlikely to have any preparation unless you read a guide or something first. I absolutely hated them the first time I played the game.

I have to take back my comment on the 4 Kings though. I just remembered a full caster build I made with 44 INT (for Crystal Soul Spear) and I blazed through NG, NG+ and NG++ with it. High level sorceries with the Dusk Crown, Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring, Tin Crystalization Catalyst and, for an extra measure, the Power Within Pyromancy, make almost every boss fight trivial... including the 4 Kings. And I only consider myself to be an average player, so "hardest" is relative to the build, I guess.

Hardest boss? For a sorcerer? Would have to look to the expansion content for that. Maybe Artorias or Manus (more likely)... if you can't dodge them.

I do remember struggling with Manus as well. I almost beat him the first time and then he did a one hit kill on me :(

I absolutely hated Bed of Chaos. Cheap ass bullshit tree thing always manages to knock me into a pit at least twice per play through.

Just finished that today. Stupid asshole tree... I did however lol when I saw that it just a little bug, so I cleaved it by 2-handing my Black-Knight Sword.

On the first playthrough, definitely had the most trouble with the Four Kings.. even had the witch summon, and a random guy who left a summon sign at the entrance.. took 4 tries, but finally got him down.

Just started my second play and just made it to the undead parish without much issue. Hitting up the gargs next.

On the first playthrough, definitely had the most trouble with the Four Kings.. even had the witch summon, and a random guy who left a summon sign at the entrance.. took 4 tries, but finally got him down.

Just started my second play and just made it to the undead parish without much issue. Hitting up the gargs next.

I couldn't beat Four Kings with the witch summon. I noticed that they had more health and she just wasn't helping enough to make up for it. I ended up having more luck charging them with that one pyromancy that drains health but adds power (forgot name D: )

Capra and his dogs or quelaag because my equipment usually sucks when i fight them

I have to sing its praises here since you mentioned Capra (because he is brutal) - FOG RING!!!!

Seriously, I won't even fight him until I get one, even with a brand new character. It can be a massive pain to trek all the way into the Tomb of the Giants to get the Skull Lantern to trade with Snuggly, unless you want to try for luck that the Necromancers will drop you one, but I think that is worse when at starting level. Don't use any bonfires in the Catacombs/Tomb of the Giants so you can Homeward/Homeward Bone the hell out of there. I'd rather die a million times trying to get to it than be stuck trying to fight my way out at low level.

The only other option would be killing the Hydra/purchasing the Crest of Artorias to get access to the Forest Hunter covenant and fulfilling the necessary requirement to receive a Fog Ring as a reward (forget how many kills you need for that).

So while it can be obnoxious to go grab the free lantern in the Tomb so you can trade for the ring, it makes fighting him so much easier. As long as you stay where you are when go through the fog, Capra will be the only one to aggro you. Those dogs won't even know you are there. You can easily dodge and circle Capra without their irritating interference. I suppose you could also just hurl dung pies over the wall at him to Toxify him (I even watched a video of someone chucking Firebombs over and killing him that way).

Anyway, sorry for the long rant on it, but FOG RING!!!!

Capra and his dogs or quelaag because my equipment usually sucks when i fight them

Capra is the hardest boss in the first half of the game IMO and its only because his Rena is laughably small and his dogs are so fucking annoying lol. Queelag is tough but she's easily beaten if you keep your distance, summon Maneater Mildred (if you're human around the bonfire in Blighttown), and another person, and you're set.

Edited by Slaughter.

Capra is the hardest boss in the first half of the game IMO and its only because his Rena is laughably small and his dogs are so fucking annoying lol. Queelag is tough but she's easily beaten if you keep your distance, summon Maneater Mildred (if you're human around the bonfire in Blighttown), and another person, and you're set.

I didn't have a problem with Capra. I found him somewhat easier to dodge than some other bosses, and you could even get on top of the stairs and do a falling attack on him if you're patient enough to get him in the right spot.

However, don't get me wrong. My first visit to the Capra Demon as a young level 25 Dark Souls noob... Well, lets say there were tears :/

Definitely 4 Kings for me, it was the only fight where having a good strategy didn't really matter if you couldn't do enough damage fast enough. I tend to over prepare myself in games like this if I hear bad things about certain fights, so most of the bosses I pretty much breezed though. I'd heard awful things about Queelag and she went down in maybe 4 hits. I remember just sitting there and thinking 'Is that it?'

The Capra Demon? Seriously? That shit is easy as hell, well at least for my build it was. Since his attacks were all physical, just use any shield that has 100% physical and a decent poise.

As soon as the fight starts I roll left to the stair case, slash his dogs once, run up the stairs and sit on the far edge of the arch. The Capra Demon will either A) Walk to you, giving you a chance to knock him off or B) He will jump at you and fall. Once he is below drop attack him and run like a bitch back to the far end of the arch. Wash, rinse, repeat!

Smough and Ornstein on NG++ did me in quite a bit, they were hell. Can't really comment on the 4 kings on NG++ since I never went that far, never needed to I only did Smough and Ornstein for giggles. Might try wrapping up my NG++ run after GSL is over, just to see if I can do it.

On my PC run the 4 kings on NG+ gave me so much hell, which is weird becuase on my 360 run I beat first try both runs :eek:

The Four kings are hard if you try to take them all on. I focus on one at a time.

As for the Capra, he's only hard because his arena is tiny as fuck.

The spawn for them seems to be random, on NG+ (PC version) after 20+ tries they finally decided to stop spawning multiples at once, allowing me to fight them one on one it wasn't bad at all.

Still don't think Capra Demon is hard at all. Always have wondered why people struggle with him at all.

The spawn for them seems to be random, on NG+ (PC version) after 20+ tries they finally decided to stop spawning multiples at once, allowing me to fight them one on one it wasn't bad at all.

Still don't think Capra Demon is hard at all. Always have wondered why people struggle with him at all.

Nah, the spawns aren't random regarding how many will spawn at once in any version of the game, unless you have managed to trigger some unknown bug with them somehow. In NG, another King will spawn 20 seconds later and so on until 4 Kings are visible onscreen at once (there can also never be more than four onscreen at once, but if you kill one and leave three, another will eventually spawn), but it is always one at a time, regardless of game cycle. However, some people believe that the amount of time before the next King spawns is reduced in NG+ and beyond, which is possible (and may be why you feel like multiples have spawned on you at once), but I don't know that it has ever been confirmed. It is also believed that having white phantoms will reduce the amount of time before spawns, but, again, I don't know if that has been confirmed either.

The Capra Demon can be hard for a few reasons. One, the first time you enter the room, you do not expect his over head two-handed smash which, with low vitality (and most will be in this position on a first playthrough without following a guide), can kill you in a single hit, so having poise won't matter; you barely have time to react. Two, the dogs. Not only are they additional enemies to have to deal with in the fight, but they can cause bleed with their bites which can easily kill a player or leave them staggered and open for Capra to finish them off. Three, again the dogs. They can (and have) block you into a corner very easily, allowing Capra to destroy you with ease. Capra is a first roadblock for many players and isn't conducive for co-op because of the small area already populated with multiple enemies, so you end up going it alone. Definitely there are much harder bosses, but Capra isn't an easy one either. Pinwheel on the otherhand... I killed him at the very beginning of the game using a non-upgraded mace with the Cleric class.

The ledge trick is not a safe bet either as Capra can lunge and hit you and one shot a low vitality character. The absolute safest way to kill him (assuming you actually want to fight him and not cheese him with the Firebomb/Dung Pie tactics) is with the Fog Ring and staying where you are when you enter the fog, but requires doing some rather lengthy suicide running to get that early in the game.