I Am The Night questions before starting

kiedis1984

So, I'm about to dig in an tackle IATN mode. However, just have a few questions.

Is the difficulty rate any harder than NG+?, I tried doing a 'dummy-run' of sorts during NG+, i.e. trying not to die; and apart from the occasional silly mistakes (e.g. Taking on a gang on armed henchmen plus 2 snipers - no, I wasn't thinking!) it wasn't too bad.

My main problem is with the Bane Boss fights and had some trouble with Firefly. Unlike when you die and game over, when you restart a checkpoint you don't regain all your health, only the health you have after auto saves. Which has me worried slightly, should I need to revert to my last checkpoint.

I read about the 'cheat' of creating back-up saves on a memory card. I would like to know if that causes problems, if I were to delete my master save and load my backup on to HHD? Don't want to a corrupt file this far into a game file.

Also, best places to create a back-up, or should just be a regular thing, like every hour or so, just at the end of a session?

Thanks in advance. Just hope they don't include this in Arkham 4. I like hard modes, but this none-dying thing I don't.

I think you're looking too much into. It really is kinda easy. I mean first of all, counter icons are in IATN mode which makes it easier. And if you get low on health you can just reload the checkpoint.

You can make a backup save if you want on a memory stick (flash drive) but i didnt bother.

Just focus on main missions and it shouldnt take too long. And good luck.

First off, if you are low on life you can just reload the checkpoint and you will be full again most of the time(I'll get to that later). On the off-chance you do die you won't have a chance to save and quit. That really isn't a problem since you can just dashboard it. You even have a few seconds where you won't lose you file. So no need to panic. If you take a chance at living and die, well just hit the dashboard and reload. No problem.

Second, I don't believe the counter icons are actually in IATN mode. Could be wrong but I don't believe so. More importantly all the times you would need to counter are against goons and you can just jump over them instead of countering. Deathstroke you will need to counter against. But you can just wait for time to slow instead of looking for the lines. I think it's actually a lot easier without them.

Now Firefly. Glue grenades are your friend. Just dodge fire and hit him with a grenade. He becomes stuck for like 15 seconds. Just pelt him with batarangs until he is stunned and you can batclaw him. Incredibly easy fight when you use your glue grenades. I don't think I got hit once on IATN mode. I'm not sure he even fired more than twice since you can chain the grenades if done right. The only thing you need to watch out for at the very end when he takes you for a ride. There is at least one place to counter. And "press 'y'" doesn't come up. I just mashed it through the entire ending flight cutscene. Not a problem.

Now Bane. Three different fights. Let's go easy one first.

The 2nd time you fight him in the jail is basically no different from the previous one. Except it's a bit easier since you can jump over more people while he is charging. And half way through the fight you get infinite shock gloves. Which easily beats him.

The 3rd time you fight him when he looks like a boomer is pretty easy too. Like Firefly, glue grenades are your friend. Just know that the corner you counter on makes him charge in the direction you're looking and it's fairly straight forward. After you hit him into a wall or a cell or whatever he will get pissed and charge you. No need to panic. Just take a few steps away and throw a grenade at him. Completely stops him. Just run around the next corner and prepare for a corner take down. Three electric cell takedowns is all it takes. I think my fight with this version lasted like 45 seconds. Probably the easiest but I couldn't really get over the contrast of difficulty of the first two Bane fights.

The 1st time you fight him is the hardest thing to do in the game. Well... The only slightly challenging thing really... This is where the reloading a previous save thing is a bitch. If you die in the 2nd half of this bane fight you come back with full health still in the 2nd sequence. That isn't an option though and unfortunately if you reload while in the 2nd half you will have the same amount of health that you did when you got thrown out the window. It is pivotal that you take almost no damage. Or no damage at all if you can help it. Because that's what you have for the entire fight, inside and outside.

Bit more detail on the fight itself if you need it..

He doesn't take any damage from extra takedowns. I did like 20 extra ones on him when he wasn't juiced up and it did absolutely zero damage. So no point in leaving the henchman alive. I feel like they just get in the way when trying to do a beatdown. But if you need them in order to evade his charges then by all means keep them around. I just personally didn't like them. Just remember that it is completely pointless to do a take down on him when he isn't juiced. When he is charging however you can do a takedown on him to stop his charging. He will do a groundpound after that so get out of the way. And he will still be juiced so you will need to do another takedown to get rid of it. When he is on very low health he will juice up and start charging for a while. Don't try to do a take down or anything during that time. You can't. Just focus on dodging him. He will run out of energy on his own and the fight will end there and then.

I didn't intend to type this much... But it all kind of flowed out... Anyways. Don't be afraid to restart checkpoint in some of the predator rooms to get back a lot of health if you lost it. It's much quicker than dashboarding.. In case of death have a quick reaction to dashboard. You shouldn't have a big reaction to dieing since it won't really affect you much other than making you take like 2 more minutes. So you probably won't have a problem dashboarding quickly. Like Emperor said, stick to the main missions and it shouldn't take too long.

Good luck.

P.S. God I hope this is helpful to someone..

Thanks, Ikuyok, exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to explain things, didn't think about the glue grenades! My main issue was the first Bane fight. I died an awful lot during my NG+ play through.

I've done all the 'tracks' so I have no worry about getting those done anymore, so the predator rooms don't really bother me - practise with the challenge rooms too. Plus that deathstroke claw thing is usual for getting rid of three goons.

Yeah, it shouldn't be too bad. I heard the mode doesn't count to my 100%, so sticking with the campaign sounds like a sensible option.

• 2 weeks later...

It took me five days to start and finish I Am The Night and I did it all without dying once. In fact, I completed the mode this morning and it feels great. I would just focus solely on the main story and get it done and out of the way. Once that's done, if there are any other things you have to do it, then just do it in IATN or in one of the other modes (Normal, NG+).

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I have just gotten stuck into IATN mode and am about to fight deathstroke so I saved and thought I'd come here with my questions.

Will the initial difficulty selection have any bearing on the difficulty if IATN? I chose hard on my first play through because I assumed there would be different achievements for each difficulty, so I'm wondering have I done myself a disservice by not going with the normal difficulty?

And since I'm about to start into a boss fight is it true that if you die, you can pause the game during the slow motion death sequence and select restart from the last checkpoint?

Also, if I load up this save file, and got killed by Deathstroke, would the save file be erased and have to start all over again?

Edited by SenorDingDong2K