Difficulty?

Vermillion Haze

I would say the battle system is fairly difficult to really master (especially in the beginning when people may be overusing Hero Actions with not enough Bezels in the Hero Guage to back it up), but once you do it's not all that tough.

The leveling system is also a bit unique which might confuse people and leave them underleveled at times. You have to keep all three types pretty much even, switching what your characters are using often so that they can all level up at a decent rate. Spending some time in the Arena (you'll need to do 500 matches in there anyway) is a good idea if you're finding yourself a bit stuck.

Also, I don't think people properly use the Gun Case and Grenade Box. If you're fighting machines, you want bullets equipped that will better damage them. If someone's weak to fire, use Molotovs. I even completely ignored the First Aid Kit for the first few chapters. Healing your scratch damage is critical in longer battles. Gun attachments and accessories are another thing. You can become much more powerful if you Tinker useful items and properly equip your characters.

This game has A LOT more strategy that you need to execute before and during battle than other JRPGs. I'm really enjoying it though. :)

I see

It seems addictive. I don't mind grinding these battles since they are not Booooooring. Like FFXIII for example

Yes, it is extremely difficult. Even for a hardcore gamer like myself. I just made it to Lucia and I can't survive any of the battles, and they have at least 6 of them in a row. I'm starting to regret the decision to purchase this. >_>

You have to stand right next to someone for your "gun gauge" to fill, and it's next to impossible to get that close, because unlike you, their guns are not limited by distance. x_x So I get maybe 1 turn in a battle and it's never enough to do anything.

Edited by Oinkness

You shouldn't really be standing anywhere near the enemies...

Try using a Hero Action and plot a course that goes directly by the enemy but will place you once it's done somewhere away from them. That way you can run in close, get some good shots off with your machine-gunner and fill up a body part or even their core with scratch damage, then follow it up with another Hero Action from either your handgunner or grenadier and blast off the body part and/or kill them, which will refill the Bezels on your Hero Gauge. Rinse and repeat.

If the enemy has a barrel on their head like a lot of the spider-mechs do, jump over them and shoot from above to instantly blow them up. If they don't, stay on the ground and attempt to knock them into the air which should allow you to fill their core with damage by ignoring the body parts from below.

Also, like I mentioned earlier, the attachments to the guns are key. There are various ones that will increase charge times as well as the number of bullets shot from one charge, allowing you to shoot more quickly if you're far away and get more levels of charge up close, while also putting more bullets and damage out at once.

I guess I'll have to visit a store then! And I only have 3 Bezels and the Fat Mobsters do a fine job of destroying them all pretty quick. Using a Hero Action would be pretty reckless I thought. >_>

I am leveling up Handguns, SMG, AND Grenades for each person and I still found it too hard. x_x But I guess if I can find some affordable attachments at a store, that may help.

Err, I just bought a ton of stuff and even multiples for each character, but it doesn't let me equip them? I took all the pieces to the tinkerer and he crafted them into the actual gun parts, but I can't equip them. Are they passive equipment (meaning not equipped but they work anyway)?

Edited by Oinkness

Using a Hero Action is only reckless if you don't successfully break a body part to restore the Bezel you used during that turn. If you fail to break a body part, the Bezel is gone... but if you do break one, it is restored and there is no loss. There is a huge gain though because you most likely did a ton of damage!

For gun attachments: go to "customize" in the menu and you can place them on your guns. There are two types: MG (machine gun) and HG (handgun), while others can be used on both types (most sights, scopes and grips).

They have to fit on the grid and attach in the correct place. Sights and scopes go up on top, grips and magazines on bottom, barrels on the front. There are symbols on each connection and pieces; those symbols have to match for it to be equipped properly. A triangle to a triangle, square to square, plus to plus, line to line, etc etc

Here is an extremely tricked-out gun I found on the Gamespot forums:

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8914/guni.jpg

Edited by The Pants Party

Couple things i've started doing that has helped alot:

Enemies like the Dwellist(sp?) dudes have a pouch on their front that explodes and nearly kills them when you destroy it

When your using your SMG guy if you get your primary target full scratched, tap left or right on the dpad to try and atleast get some scratch damage on the other mobs, i've been able to full scratch 2-3 enemies at a time.

You can Tri-Attack on your second turn by sending your left side character to the upper right, then your right side character to the upper left to form the triangle.

I've found it best to control the SMG user first during Tri-Attacks. Since Tri-Attacks will always have your controlled character shoot first you wont need to waste as much time, or end up with you getting a mob to 1% hp and just having an SMG character shoot it pointlessly

hope these help

Yes, it is extremely difficult. Even for a hardcore gamer like myself. I just made it to Lucia and I can't survive any of the battles, and they have at least 6 of them in a row. I'm starting to regret the decision to purchase this. >_>

You have to stand right next to someone for your "gun gauge" to fill, and it's next to impossible to get that close, because unlike you, their guns are not limited by distance. x_x So I get maybe 1 turn in a battle and it's never enough to do anything.

Lucia wow. You can coast through the first few chapters simply spamming hero actions. I think you just didint level up enough, meaning level up all 3 weapons on all 3 characters. Just swap the guns between them and make sure to farm for parts and synthesize. The battles dont get hard till a bit later in the story.

Thanks ya'll. Pants Party, the customize thing... I watched a movie with my mama then come back to see this great explanation, thank you! I am customizing my previously naked guns right now. Hopefully I won't have too much more trouble. The guy said I should be able to coast through the first few chapters. :-(

EDIT: OMG Dude thank you so much. Customizing made a huge difference. I don't have to even run up to them anymore, I could simply fire from where I start. This is fantastic.

EDIT2: I feel like such an idiot. I just passed the first 2 battles in Lucia in 2 turns or less. :-P

Edited by Oinkness

I think I was Level 22 or so when I did that.

One more thing I've noticed: the game appears to assume you will keep up with the Arena while playing the main story. You can gain levels nicely in there. If you're planning on going for the 1000 in this, you need to do 10 battles at each rank anyway, so it helps to both work toward that achievement and level your characters up.

Also, that one I had to use metal-coated rounds and some of my higher rank grenades. If you're finding a "boss" type character to be too tough, go all out on him and worry about restocking your ammo/grenades after. Better to be done with the mission and get some money/items.

I'm starting to enjoy this game as I get a better grasp of the battle system and tinkering to make better weapons. It does seem like one needs to take their time and level up before progressing far into each chapter.

I recall facing the Tar Man at level 7ish and was amazed at how fast the battle can turn against you in a string of bad luck events happen or poor tactics. The body part system adds a new dimension to battles and he's a cool looking mob.

Using a Hero Action is only reckless if you don't successfully break a body part to restore the Bezel you used during that turn. If you fail to break a body part, the Bezel is gone... but if you do break one, it is restored and there is no loss. There is a huge gain though because you most likely did a ton of damage!

Hmmm... is it? I usually use 3 out of 4 bezels without any return. Most of my battles are like

-person in the middle goes far (but not to the end) left (+1 resonance)

-person in the left goes far right (it's important to note that there shouldn't be any big mobs/walls between the persons 1 and 2) (+1 resonance)

-3rd person crosses the line somewhere between 1 and 2 by going even further than they are (+1 resonance)

-start the tri-attack and let the slaughter begin (+3 resonance attacks are painful enough)

It should be noted that the first person always gets damaged the most... he should wear the best armor upgrades.

(with only 3 bezels at once I used to start the tri-attack right when first two people moved... was quite difficult because of various stuff in possible paths)

Here is an extremely tricked-out gun I found on the Gamespot forums:

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8914/guni.jpg

Hmmm... can anyone confirm, would this work? Would it be worth it?

http://sadpanda.us/images/110568-P0LMQVL.jpg

In case of good 1x1 scopes it would be possible to add 2-6 more scopes (6 would mean that some of 2x1 would have to be replaced).

Edited by Macho M.

lol.. tricked out? that gun is nothing. anyway, this game can be easily broken as early as chapter 7..

1. Use the traveling merchant exploit for easy infinite money.

2. Farm green hexes to link to the arena and use the XP bonus to grind Vashyron to machine gun level 92+, which gives him 100% stun and 100% full scratch.

3. There you go.. you can now permastun and fully scratch any enemy with one attack. The enemy could have 1 trillion HP and destroy the universe with one hit and Vash + one direct damage bullet would kill it.

http://i42.tinypic.com/rlfaxw.jpg

Edited by mjemirzian

Ha, nice config there. When I found that other image I was in Chapter 2, so it looked pretty sweet at that point. Not so hot now that I'm on Chapter 10 though. :p

I did sort of the same thing when I hit Chapter 9, though not to that extreme. I felt really underleveled for Lucia, so I got everyone to about 50-55 in the Arena with the experience boost linked.

lol yeah by the end of the game you can make some really crazy gun configs

I didn't bother with the arena my first playthrough. My levels with no grinding (aka no running around in circles farming the same enemy for xp, parts, etc.). Most side quests, all danger zones, and no arena.

Start of Ch 5 - lv 21-22.. lv 9 MG/HG, lv 2-4 grenades

Start of Ch 6 - lv 26-27.. lv 11-12 MG/HG, lv 3-5 grenades

Start of Ch 7 - lv 33-34.. lv 12-16 mg/hg, lv 5-9 grenades

Start of Ch 8 - lv 41-45.. lv 17-20 mg/hg, lv 7-9 grenades

Start of Ch 9 - lv 46-53.. lv 19-22 mg/hg, lv 7-13 grenades

Start of Ch 10 - lv 52-54.. lv 19-23 mg/hg, lv 10-13 grenades

Start of Ch 11 - lv 58-61.. lv 21-25 mg/hg, lv 13-17 grenades

Start of Ch 12 - lv 64-66.. lv 23-25 mg/hg, lv 17-19 grenades

Start of Ch 13 - lv 65-67.. lv 23-26 mg/hg, lv 17-19 grenades

Start of Ch 14 - lv 71-73.. lv 25-27 mg/hg, lv 21-23 grenades

Start of Ch 15 - lv 74-75.. lv 25-28 mg/hg, lv 21-23 grenades

Start of Ch 16 - lv 75-77.. lv 26-30 mg/hg, lv 21-23 grenades

End of Ch 16 - lv 79-84.. lv 25-38 mg/hg, lv 21-25 grenades

I'm currently trying to 'speed run' through the 2nd playthrough.

Looks like I'll have to grind a bit more in Chapter 10. One of the side-quests has a Piledriver enemy at Level 90 (one in each of three assassination hexes), and I'm having an extremely difficult time trying to knock off his front body parts which are giving him insane scratch regen. Oh, and he can one-shot my entire health bar and send me into Critical if I'm too close. Hooray!

Here's what I did with the Piledriver Giants. You need to position your MG user behind the giant and fire manually. The giant should be targeting one of your HG users. Use a mix of Hero Actions and manual attacks to swap places between your MG user and whoever is being targeted, with the giant in the middle. When the giant gets too close to its target, have your target HA away to the other end of the map, and make your MG user HA behind the giant for another manual shot at its exposed back. The giants attacks can two shot anyone lvl 55-60.

Or you could use Armor-Piercing rounds.. those things are OP.

I ended up just leveling Vash's MG to like 35. Was able to plot an action from across the level and completely fill him with scratch from behind, then switched quickly to Zeph and jumped up and put some lead in his skull. :p

Rank 20, Fight 3 in the arena is beautiful for leveling MG. The Gold Jewel there has instant Scratch regen, so you can fully charge and fire with a dual-wielding MG user, skip your HG turns and repeat for an hour or so. Add in the linked EXP terminal and an EXP trainer and it's extremely quick.

Do you know if EXP Trainers stack by any chance?

I ended up just leveling Vash's MG to like 35. Was able to plot an action from across the level and completely fill him with scratch from behind, then switched quickly to Zeph and jumped up and put some lead in his skull. :p

Rank 20, Fight 3 in the arena is beautiful for leveling MG. The Gold Jewel there has instant Scratch regen, so you can fully charge and fire with a dual-wielding MG user, skip your HG turns and repeat for an hour or so. Add in the linked EXP terminal and an EXP trainer and it's extremely quick.

Do you know if EXP Trainers stack by any chance?

No I don't know.

And if you got a lv 35 MGer already you pretty much made the rest of the game a joke..

That's a bit sad, actually. I was just frustrated after a good 90 minutes getting my ass kicked by the Piledrivers so I was grinding for a while and watching a movie on my second TV. When the movie ended I went back to playing and one-shot all of them. Oops! :p

That's a bit sad, actually. I was just frustrated after a good 90 minutes getting my ass kicked by the Piledrivers so I was grinding for a while and watching a movie on my second TV. When the movie ended I went back to playing and one-shot all of them. Oops! :p

Lol.. must have been a good movie!