Your thoughts on the game?

Le Vampyr

Just played the trial, and it does feel like it might be somewhat overpriced. Questionable voice acting, generic and repetative scenery, bad and unsatisfying animations, a conflicting atmosphere (how the light humour of the in-game guide book pick ups take away from how the game world has a serious and dark tone to it), and the pick ups are 9 times out of 10 impossible to see as they just look part of the scenery. The positive thing I have to say for this game is that it could be fun for a short while with a friend.

Unless you're desperate for another zombie twin stick shooter that comes across too ambitious, you should pass on this one. Give the trial a go though and see what you think for yourselves.

Honestly I like what little I have played so far, I am only 10 minutes into the game though. I like zombie games and I like diablo-esque games, so this game has what I like to begin with. Honestly 15 bucks isn't so bad I spent 20 on state of decay and I enjoyed it for a week, if this game can give me a few days of enjoyment also then it is worth more money then some recent AAA titles I have played.

Only played the trial, I like State of Decay better. The control scheme for this bugs the hell out of me, its like they actively put things on the wrong buttons and there's no way to change them. the biggest culprit is the RB to attack.. Its dumb in Dark Souls, and its dumb here... I don't think I'll pay 15 for it, but I'll keep an eye for when it goes on sale.

Not sure why every single person is comparing this to State of Decay. The only thing in common they have is being zombie games, and similar graphics. Gameplay is quite different.

Either way, I thought it was decent. Fun, but also easily overlooked with all the other games available. Cool mechanics, but very linear story. Put together a video for those interested:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxlNbp2GE8Y]How To Survive - Review & First Impressions - YouTube[/ame]

Is there any kind of storage system for items, or do I just gotta learn to let go?

I don't think so, but I don't think items disappear. I dropped some helmets and after leaving and coming back several times, they are still there. So I guess you could pile your items in an area and that could sort of be item storage.

How is the co op? Full game online in co op or is it just couch? It is locked in the trial and I am buying it for the online co op if it has it.

I would love to know the answer to this too, albeit I would prefer there to be couch co-op.

It has both online co op and local. I've been playing local, just finished the game. It's kind of short. I am not sure how the online is, local you are sharing the screen instead of split screen.

Is there any kind of storage system for items, or do I just gotta learn to let go?

No storage, and no way to sell items so yeah. You can just drop items, I recommend dropping them in a spot you'll remember as they don't disappear. I had a huge stock pile of things on one of the islands that I could go back to whenever I needed something specific :D

Just to make things clear:-

Campaign:- Local Coop only

Challenges:- Local and Online

Just noticed this...that's kind of stupid of them to do.

Edit: Annnnd my game glitched on the last part of the game on my ironman playthrough trapping me behind an invisible wall and it autosaved me there lol.

After spending some time with this game...it's still not bad but it wasn't worth 15 dollars.

Edited by Gackt

Kinda loving it so far. Think a top down version of Dead Rising set on 4 islands. You get to fight zombies, puzzle solve and fetch and carry along with item making. it does have a very small inventory/ backpack but on the plus side you don't have to wait till you have a blueprint to make an item. It has 2 differing difficulty levels and a challenge mode both with same screen and online co-op modes. I've found the gameplay addictive, fun and most of the time if isn't like most zombies games were you are constantly over run and low on health and ammo. Some grinding may be involved as I'm not sure if the level cap covers all the upgradable skills or not.

• 2 months later...

I'd complain about the lack of online co-op but the Challenges are actually very fun and worth repeating.

For the record, I hate zombie ostriches LMAO!!

I'm noticing the "comparisons" and here's my impression:

Gameplay-wise, it's like Zombie Apocalypse 2 in that it's the top down Contra style but on a full map. ZA was one single area to defend, ZA2 turned into "levels" and this is more of a "free roam" on 4 islands.

The itemization is a mix of State of Decay (inventory-wise and stats) and Dead Rising 2 with the blend of Weaponization. Also while I dig the realism in some games for it, I'm happy they didn't include breakable weapons.

The humor in the game, at least from Kovac is very Borderlands'ish.

It seems short but replayable for challenges and item creation for playthroughs but it's not worth $15 IMHO. Hope they do another 50% off sale for other people. Definitely a fun game for sure!

• 1 month later...
Yea i was going to buy this, but i think ill wait for a sale. 15 bucks seems alittle much for this type of game

It was on sale just a few weeks ago. :/

I think the game is pretty great. Haven't played many, or really any survival games on the arcade so I didn't have many expectations. Gotta say, I'm having trouble on the last island even on normal difficulty. Having to backtrack like two whole islands just to find weapon parts and health packs. :p

• 2 weeks later...
It was on sale just a few weeks ago. :/

I think the game is pretty great. Haven't played many, or really any survival games on the arcade so I didn't have many expectations. Gotta say, I'm having trouble on the last island even on normal difficulty. Having to backtrack like two whole islands just to find weapon parts and health packs. :p

The challenge mode adds a little replay value but the game easily could've been more enjoyable at $10 than $15. It's better than most zombie games. The final island/missions was a pain when finding the parts or packs or whatever. Did something in the menus and they wouldn't show up on the map until I reloaded the game. Saw the ending coming though haha.

The challenge mode adds a little replay value but the game easily could've been more enjoyable at $10 than $15. It's better than most zombie games. The final island/missions was a pain when finding the parts or packs or whatever. Did something in the menus and they wouldn't show up on the map until I reloaded the game. Saw the ending coming though haha.

I gave up trying to finish the story, so I read the plot line on wiki instead and damn lol.

I gave up trying to finish the story, so I read the plot line on wiki instead and damn lol.

I was miffed there was no Co-op campaign. It didn't need it but it would've added more replay value for me. I personally didn't do a lot of the weaponizations until the final island so that kept me going. The plot was nothing mind bending but overall, it was a good hack and slash. As a zombie fanatic, I'll shlog through whatever I can in the genre. The worst so far was Amy. UGH! Took the worst parts of RE4 and made it the core mechanics which was babysitting. I get enough of that on my site lol.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This game was such a chore to play. I got to 93% in the story before I had to quit playing. I've tried going back to finish it multiple times but I just can't do it. Finally made the (right) decision to delete it today with 100 out of 400 gamerscore. They can't all be winners :)