Stuck On French Fries

gmadrueno07

Yesterday i had the same problem: I used the function of the costume several times at different places, but the three hungry persons didn't move. At the end i erased my save and startet a completely new game - an had no futher problems with that.

it's a fairly new issue. about 30 people have this problem since the update

I checked the DoubleFine forums. the developers are currently looking into it.

afaik, people who already had a save file before the 7th and started the french fries luring quest after the update, have this problem

clearing the cache or restarting the system won't work.

Edited by JelDeRebel

Ok I just foun d out about this French Fry problem today and its really annoying me that I can't continue... Is there anyway I can bypass it? Can I just start over and be able pass this...

Please some1 hit me up if they figure out anything...

The word is that starting a new game should work out for you. This problem was only suppose to occur on games that were started before the update, and reached the Fry part after the update.

Supposedly you can also clear your cache and play offline as long as you don't have the DLC... but when I tried that it didn't work out for me. [Edit] I looked more into this, and apparently this can work as long as your saved game isn't in Fall Valley... which probably excludes everyone experiencing this issue. [/Edit]

I'll probably be waiting for a fix instead of starting a new game... hopefully it won't take too long...

[Edit]Here's the link to Double Fine's post about it. [/Edit]

Edited by Mechy Tiki

• 4 weeks later...

I just Experienced this Same Problem as well. I Cleared the Cashe and Tried to Play it Offline, but you still Can't do the French Fry Part.

It Seems Double Fine Isn't going to Make a Patch for it since it's been About a Month now since people have been having this problem. They are just saying "Too Bad, Start a New Game."

I Know it's a Short Game, It sucks to have to replay it anyway, all that work is for Nothing, Sure it was Fun. But Imagine if this Happened in a Halo or Call of Duty Game, There would be so much Outrage they would have a patch out the Next day. Oh Well What Can You Do.

• 3 weeks later...

there won't be an update, Tim Shafer posted this on the Double Fine Forums

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/4107/

Hi Costume Quest Fans,

There is a known issue with the December 2010 update to Costume Quest. People have reported that the French Fry costume in Fall Valley no longer performs its exploration ability, and therefore a game-critical quest cannot be completed.

-If you haven’t yet started playing Costume Quest this bug will not affect you. The costume will work properly.

-If you have played Costume Quest but have completed the quest using the Fry costume in Fall Valley, this bug will not affect you. The costume performs normally in combat and the “Lure” ability is not needed after that quest.

-If you have an in-progress save game and have not yet completed the quest using the Fry costume, you will experience this bug and will not be able to finish the game.

-This bug does not affect the Fry costume in Grubbins on Ice.

Unfortunately, the only work around for this bug is to restart your Costume Quest game. Does this make you super angry? I hear you. I am angry about it too. Unfortunately, it is the best option. There is currently no patch planned to address this bug because we do not have the testing resources to ensure that any patch would not introduce even more bugs. And if we introduced more bugs then we’d have to start more forum threads about it, and make more patches, and soon we’d all be caught up in an infinite loop of sadness and no candy.

We are very, very sorry about this bug. I hope that with an hour or two of playing you will be back where you left off and we can all be friends again.

Sincerely,

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what worked for me -

1. Delete Grubbins on Ice DLC from system memory - you can redownload this later

2. Delete Cache on hard drive by going to memory and pressing (Y) on the device where your saves are located - Note! you will have to re download all of the updates for any games that you own, DLC stays but it can cause problems with games like Crackdown that will report your savegame as being corrupted if it is not the most recent update. This can be fixed by updating and 'broken' games

3. Play costume quest and DECLINE the update, you will be D/C from XBL but you should be able to proceed as normal.

Worked great for me was able to pass this part easily after following these steps! Hope that it can do the same for you!

EDIT: Apparently this will only work if you have not yet hit another checkpoint from when you installed the update. I guess if you had hit a checkpoint it in a sense corrupts your save file to match the bug permanently

Edited by Sonic0967
Update

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...