Is this in your top 5 XBLA games of all time?

Cooljoe

This game was the best dungeon crawler, action adventure, rpg type game I've played on the xbla. The 400 was incredibly rewarding, long, and left me wanting more. Hopefully a retail sequel will be made by the developer soon. The only games that compete with it for me are these: Braid, castle crashers, the trials games, battlefield 1943, and perhaps the recent Tony hawk HD because of it's nostalgic effect. So, how high is it up there on your list guys and gals:) (On a side note, are there any retail games that are like this one, or arcade, that are worthy checking out?)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely. I still can't realize that this game was made by only one person. It's the best arcade game I've played this year and maybe at all times. I'm thinking about games that compares to this and only Bastion and Castle Crashers appears in my mind.

The other games references and appearances were hilarious, the gameplay is superb and the story is incredible.

Almost a perfect 10 to me.

Agreed this past year has been great for the Xbox Live Arcade...

Minecraft, deadlight, and this game all make it into my top 5, along with the splosion man series and castle crashers, oh and you cant forget comic jumper and the maw... any twisted pixel game really!

Im looking forward to Battle Block Theater being the next big arcade game!

Yeah this might be up there as on the my top favorites. I am surprised no one has mentioned and drew comparisons to Castlevania Symphony of the Night! Only small faults I could really complain about it (which again are just my opinions) were I really wished one of the achievements was for leveling up your character to the max and exploring/getting all treasure chests in the game. Yeah minor insignificant complaints, but I really hope they come out with DLC for this and add more lvls past 60 and Fidget abilities.

Also I really wished they had a new game plus option :)

Yeah this might be up there as on the my top favorites. I am surprised no one has mentioned and drew comparisons to Castlevania Symphony of the Night! Only small faults I could really complain about it (which again are just my opinions) were I really wished one of the achievements was for leveling up your character to the max and exploring/getting all treasure chests in the game. Yeah minor insignificant complaints, but I really hope they come out with DLC for this and add more lvls past 60 and Fidget abilities.

Also I really wished they had a new game plus option :)

New game+ was not really an option considering the ending...

1) Outland

2) Trials Evolution

3) Shadow Complex

4) Dust: An Alysian Tail

5) Limbo

So it actually is in my Top 5 list - I've never seen such a great combination of RPG, Metroidvania and a fun H&S, absolutely worth 1200 MS Points. :)

I can't decide if it's top 5, since there are so many awesome games on XBLA by now, but it's certainly up there. Utterly enjoyable throughout the entire game.

New game+ was not really an option considering the ending...
Not sure you paid attention to the whole ending... NG+ would make sense.

If this is in your guys's top 5 The Dishwasher has to be up there too.

For me: 1. The Dishwasher (Franchise)

2. Dust: An Elysian Tail

3. Serious Sam (Franchise)

I don't really have a top 5 but Dead Nation (A PS3 Exclusive arcade title) would probably be my number 4.

I know I've said this before lol but The Dishwasher was also made by only one guy and while Dust was a much more crisp experience the first time through then "Dead Samurai" they both cut it close for ground-breaking experiences as XBLA titles.

They really saved the best for last with this one. I hope The Dishwasher 3 comes out in the next summer of arcade as well as a sequel to this game. Two great Beat 'Em Ups, one with excessive blood, and one that gives me excessive tears :D.

I hope The Dishwasher 3 comes out in the next summer of arcade as well as a sequel to this game.
Not going to happen on either of those, sadly. James Silva is busy doing that awful-looking Charlie Murder game and Dean Dodrill can't whip up a Dust 2 in like 10 months when this one took him four years.

Not going to happen on either of those, sadly. James Silva is busy doing that awful-looking Charlie Murder game and Dean Dodrill can't whip up a Dust 2 in like 10 months when this one took him four years.

Well if this game exceeded expectations in the financial department then maybe the lone developer can grab a few extra hands like Silva did and get working on a sequel ASAP. Vampire Smile turned out to be an excellent successor to Dead Samurai and improved on every level, aside from the game becoming easier, which some saw a bit of a problem.

I can see a 2 year development plan happening. Microsoft Studios might even push an earlier release although I wouldn't want that to happen. And Dean might want to just go in it solo sense he is the genius here but anything can happen. A few extra members who just help elaborate on his ideas and not completely take over.

Like with Vampire Smile, where James added 2 more members and not a whole new staff of 10.

Also, I remember Silva mentioning in one of his speeches at a game expo this quote. I can't remember where I got it unfortunately.

"Microsoft wants a Dishwasher 3, The fans want a Dishwasher 3, and I want a Dishwasher 3. So why not?"

Charlie Murder is in development now, but he could be holding off the next Dish in his side pocket. Either way all of this stuff is going to happen sooner or later. And I'm excited for it :)

This game is extremly motivating and inspiring and loved every bit of it.

Loved the characters and Fidget mostly. She was funny.

OT:

I myself want to make a videogame too and the more I see other people make games and how awesome they can look, I want to make my game too. Sadly I cannot program for life, but I can draw graphics. One day I need to make a "fake gameplay" video to get the idea of my game, how it HAS to look. I just slowly build graphics after graphics and maybe 1 day I'm so close of finishing it, I probably hire a programmer who makes this happen.

(On a side note, are there any retail games that are like this one, or arcade, that are worthy checking out?)

Rayman Origins

OT:

I myself want to make a videogame too and the more I see other people make games and how awesome they can look, I want to make my game too. Sadly I cannot program for life, but I can draw graphics. One day I need to make a "fake gameplay" video to get the idea of my game, how it HAS to look. I just slowly build graphics after graphics and maybe 1 day I'm so close of finishing it, I probably hire a programmer who makes this happen.

Dean Dodrill didn't know a line of programming before he got started on Dust, this game was his learning experience.

Either way all of this stuff is going to happen sooner or later. And I'm excited for it :)
Of course, I was just saying that it won't happen anytime soon. Considering we're on the verge of a new console generation too, it might take even longer than what we can guess right now. :(

My problem with programming is that I'm not English and it's hard me to sometimes understand some explainings in English + I need to be told extremly easily so I can understand stuff, as things don't wanna reach for me. I don't get the "ding" inside my head etc. I have tried to program, but stuff, where people add code after code, I'm like "How in the hell he think up of all this thing?? Where does he take all these words to make it work?" Etc. I know there are some commands, but I have no idea, how do you PUT it together, this doesn't want to ding for me.

But yeah. Elysian Tail is top of my other games too.

1. Rayman Origins

2. Speunky

3. Dust

4. Super meat Boy

5. FeZ

Absolutely in my list too.

Dust, Shadow Complex, Deadlight, Dungeon Fighters: FoHM and Walking Dead.

And I really think this game was totally worth being a Retail release, if was longer.

Hope it happens just like Portal, the next one coming as a retail.