Silent Hill: Homecoming vs. Silent Hill: Downpour

HabsCen10ial

Which game did you enjoy more?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Which game did you enjoy more?

• Silent Hill: Homecoming
    • Silent Hill: Downpour

Man, that's a hard one. I definitely enjoyed Downpour more than Homecoming because I just liked the atmosphere better. I felt that Downpour held more 'true' to the original Silent Hill's than Homecoming. Idk. Don't get me wrong; I enjoyed them both hella. But if I had to choose, I'm goin' with Downpour (although the 1st Silent Hill is still the best) :woop:

Man, that's a hard one. I definitely enjoyed Downpour more than Homecoming because I just liked the atmosphere better. I felt that Downpour held more 'true' to the original Silent Hill's than Homecoming. Idk. Don't get me wrong; I enjoyed them both hella. But if I had to choose, I'm goin' with Downpour (although the 1st Silent Hill is still the best) :woop:

I was not going to put any of the original SH games in the poll because I'm sure they would destroy the two that came out on this generation of consoles.

I enjoyed Downpours atmosphere but I agree with MLG about the monsters. I thought homecomings monsters were a lot better.

My biggest problem with Downpour was the "otherworld". I thought it was lazy that every time you were in the otherworld you had to book it as fast as possible and couldn't just look around and enjoy the creepiness.

It's a no brainer for fans of the series.... Downpour. Pyramid Head appearing in Homecoming was a big 'fuck you' to fans. PH was part of James' nightmare in SH2 and should never have featured in Homecoming.... I still haven't got over that! =D

Those that voted for Homecoming obviously have no idea what true Silent Hill is, that just felt like a different survival horror game.... Like The Room, this felt more like Silent Hill should with a great story.... Good exploration and some really eerie scenes, the thing that sealed this as better for me though was the side quests and that final boss against Wheelman

Well I never played the old Silent Hill games so I'm basing my opinion on the two that I listed. I may have played The Room I just can't remember. All I remember is some creepy ghost screaming "my eyes, MY EYES".

Not sure if it was SH or Fatal Frame maybe?

Either way I'm going to be picking up Silent Hill HD remake so I can see what all the hype is about.

It's a no brainer for fans of the series.... Downpour. Pyramid Head appearing in Homecoming was a big 'fuck you' to fans. PH was part of James' nightmare in SH2 and should never have featured in Homecoming.... I still haven't got over that! =D

I actually heard somebody else complaining about the same thing. I didn't know Pyramid Head was just a SH2 thing. I know when I saw him in Homecoming I nearly shit my pants.

In what order would you guys rate the Silent Hill games?

I dig Downpour. It felt more like the originals than Homecoming. But i'm in agreement with everyone else. The monsters in Downpour aren't great. But I definitely LOVE the feel of this game. I have hopes for the next Silent Hill offering...

• 4 months later...

True fans would realize that Pyramid Head isn't confined to James Sutherland. He also appeared as The Butcher in Origins and Walter Sullivan saw the "red devil" In Silent Hill 4. Pyramid Head is a manifestation of guilt and punishment and in Homecoming he represents the guilt of the parents who sacrificed their children which is why he never attacks Alex but kills Adam. Downpour shouldn't even be considered a Silent Hill game. The enemies in Downpour are not original at all, the level design gives me a headache, and the only boss fight is a giant guy in a wheelchair. Homecoming may have had improved combat but that is not a bad thing. Sure it has its share of problems like any game but Homecoming was a true Silent Hill experience.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Downpour all the way. Homecoming, while fun, was a poor Silent Hill game. You could tell they tried but it fell short. Downpour was made by people who "get" this franchise. Only problem I had was that the enemies were of poor design, despite being metaphorically correct.

Homecoming made me roll my eyes a few times with some of it's "nods", plus some of the story elements, however, it was a fine survival horror game.

I just think Downpour was more, Silent Hill, than Homecoming was.

played both and I stay with HC cause it is larger, had better creatures including the horribly hot nurses and deadly bosses. Downpour has a nice enviroment but it is just running away from black belt karate witches and the extra missions were to few also keeping in mind all the lagg before the update was released

• 3 months later...
True fans would realize that Pyramid Head isn't confined to James Sutherland. He also appeared as The Butcher in Origins and Walter Sullivan saw the "red devil" In Silent Hill 4. Pyramid Head is a manifestation of guilt and punishment and in Homecoming he represents the guilt of the parents who sacrificed their children which is why he never attacks Alex but kills Adam. Downpour shouldn't even be considered a Silent Hill game. The enemies in Downpour are not original at all, the level design gives me a headache, and the only boss fight is a giant guy in a wheelchair. Homecoming may have had improved combat but that is not a bad thing. Sure it has its share of problems like any game but Homecoming was a true Silent Hill experience.

Of course Pyramid Head is confined to James "Sutherland". The Butcher is just a copy of PH. And you are a true fan? Chapa el boconcio.

• 2 months later...

I really liked both of them, but would say I liked Downpour more. Probably being able to run around and find "cameo's" from the entire series, plus liking the main character and the story was a plus. I've been playing since SH1 way back in the day (getting old :().

• 1 year later...