Onyx Medals Guide and Discussion

Nikke84

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm back to working on Seriously, and I'm planning to get 3rd console next week. More for backup, but I might as well run it to finish Gears, right? Anyway I'm wondering about multi-console methods for certain medals if anyone can make suggestions to speed things up.

1. Motivator

2. Guardian

3. Assistant

4. Skunker (what's the quickest game type to AFK with a full team AFK?)

Can someone elaborate on how exactly Spotter works? Do the enemies your spotting have to die every time or can you just sit there and spot AFK controllers over and over for an hour?

I am currently working on starting weapon kills if anyone can join me with there guest controller..... You can get idle matches while I get kills for few hours then when I go to sleep the other people can get kills vice versa. I will be on all week message me on XBL for quicker response.

My GT: LegendKiLLa20

Onyx Medal Count: 59/65

ugh. 40/65. I mostly have weapon kills in vs left, along with 4 in Beast and Hoarder.

I did Motivator with 4 controllers today. Keeping the X button on my main turbo'd and just walked 3 butchers out to get shot at. Kept repeating the wave. Took 2-3 hours. Guardian is done too. That was interesting with 3 controllers. Assistant is friggin annoying. If anyone has any good methods for doing it fast, I'm all ears. I've been doing 15 round Execution on Checkout with some guest controllers on the opposing team and a full platoon of bots on my side. I try to grab the first kill for Shock Trooper progress and get assists on the other 4. I need that 3rd Xbox so I can turn the bots on Hardcore/Insane. The casual ones are fuckin stupid as teammates but I'm not taking on a bunch of insane ones. I'm sitting here partially AFKing Spotter right now with my awesome Hori controller that can turbo the stick button. Rubberband the trigger and ignore it for 20 minutes at a time. :)

Christ. I've Onyxed Ruthless 4 times now and I still need another 15 ribbons for that goddamn High Roller medal. Tip for anyone doing this on their own. Don't bother running through all 12 waves each time. Get your Ready for the Heavies ribbon and reset, or do like 1 or 2 waves with the berserker to smash shit and reset.

Does melee attack with a weapon count as a kill for that weapon (like a short distance retro charge on a downed enemy without the animated execution)? Is is faster to shoot or melee to down dummy controllers for curb stomps?

Edit: Hate to triple post. If anyone is still going for Sapper alone, I came up with a pretty tolerable method. I was using 3 controllers (2 consoles) but this'll work with 2. Set everything to frag grenades and load up Mercy. Spawn your main with a Hammerburst and park it up at the rear center where the mortars spawn. Now just use the 3 nade spawns at the church. One dead center and one on each side. Plant them on the posts along the front of the church for easy view and snipe them with the hammerburst. My 3rd controller was grabbing the nade spawns in the back of the map since I was using them faster than they were spawning. I probably ended up with 60-80 per 20 minute round.

Edited by Viper187

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

If I re-up to get the re-up achievements, would my Onyx medals be reset or would they stay the same and not lose my progress?

Making good progress and backup copies on my medals even though it is a grind for a few hundred or possibly thousand of hours of teamwork, cooperation, planning and resources to get Seriously 3.0.

Sigh...

I just cannot for the life of me get the "I'm a Beast!" Onyx Medal. I actually was able to beat the Beast Mode on Insane difficulty after nearly two hours of constantly dying and going through to the final wave but I did not get that "I'm a Beast!" and felt like I flushed two hours down the toilet though I did manage to get the 1100 Kill Onyx Medal along the way.

Yet this "I'm a Beast" medal is completely out of the question as far as I'm concerned and my connection will not allow me to host a public game to try and tackle this medal and I can't seem to find any games that are playing this on Insane hence why I stopped going for Seriously 3.0 a long time ago. Truly a shitty achievement to be honest because of this. There is no way to beat this without at least dying a few times.

This would take hundreds of hours to unlock. For me, when playing NFS: Shift, I unlocked at least 500G in only a few days by comparison.

Had it not been for this bullshit "I'm a Beast" Onyx medal, I would've still tried to go for 3.0 but having been unable to find or host a beast game on Insane difficulty, I've written this achievement off as unobtainable and unboostable.

If I re-up to get the re-up achievements, would my Onyx medals be reset or would they stay the same and not lose my progress?

Making good progress and backup copies on my medals even though it is a grind for a few hundred or possibly thousand of hours of teamwork, cooperation, planning and resources to get Seriously 3.0.

No, of course the medals stay there. Re-upping only affects the rank. In fact, you can't lose your medals, even if you delete all your save files. When you load up Gears 3 and press start, it downloads your medals from the server. Only way to lose the medals is to suffer the rare freeze glitch, which corrupts the save file and makes the server think you have no progress when you boot the game with the corrupt file. But the backup saves save you if that's the case.

Had it not been for this bullshit "I'm a Beast" Onyx medal, I would've still tried to go for 3.0 but having been unable to find or host a beast game on Insane difficulty, I've written this achievement off as unobtainable and unboostable.

Try Trueachievements boosting sessions. You'll get 4 other people easily to help you there.

• 5 months later...

Okay. I'll give the 'boosting session' a try. Note that I'm not familiar with this method but I stand by my earlier posts on this matter. The way "I'm A Beast!" is earned is pure bullshit.

The logistics of setting up a game are pathetic. There is no option to "Create a Public" Beast mode game like on Campaign Arcade.

I actually played a Beast mode game on Normal difficulty and invited the party that played Beast mode on Normal difficulty but only two of them entered and they backed out almost immediately.

Really pisses me of that after so many hours so far (And many more to go through), and earning 13 Onyx Medals so far, I found myself at a total dead end because of "I'm a Beast!" requiring completing Beast without failing. There is no way to beat this solo on Insane.

Even doing this on Casual solo was no walk in the park either and when I did this on Insane, the furthest I got before that Hammer of Dawn turned me into burnt troll parts, was around wave 2 or 3.

I will give this 'boosting session' a try after the school semester is over and homework is done. I really despise the logistics of getting an Insane game going and it makes it impossible to do this one.

I got all of the other Beast Medals to Onyx and even got the 1100-Human kill medal to Onyx five times.

Once again, I'll give the 'boosting session' a try and hope it works though it might take a few tries to do it. Same goes for "Horde" Insane difficulty.

• 1 month later...