X-Men: Days of Future Past

Shiftie

^^ Ha! The Boy From OZ. My mum went and saw that. I surely didn't. :D I like Wolverine, but Hollywood kinda make him a bit of a sissy.

They just downplayed the Logan aspect I feel. He never truly felt "angrily troubled" which is the point of Logan. He can't remember SO much that it's ever frustrating.

Either way, even sissified, I can't downplay his acting and quality. When 2 70 year old broads are raving about him on the train, you know he's doing something right LOL

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This movie was a pleasant surprise. I'm a big fan of the X-Men, so I was cynical about this from the start. I thought the movie would be passable at best, but I am pleased to say that this was not the case. It was eXhilarating! :D

Honestly, this movie was so damn good, it might be my favorite superhero movie of all time now. I'm probably going to watch it again in a few days.

Go see it!

This movie was a pleasant surprise. I'm a big fan of the X-Men, so I was cynical about this from the start. I thought the movie would be passable at best, but I am pleased to say that this was not the case. It was eXhilarating! :D

Honestly, this movie was so damn good, it might be my favorite superhero movie of all time now. I'm probably going to watch it again in a few days.

Go see it!

Thanks for the feedback. I had a feeling it would be the best in the series to date. :)

Just got home from the theater ... totally loved it.

[spoiler=12324533]OMFG ... I love that Magneto was imprisoned for killing JFK with the magic bullet ... but actually he was trying to save him because JFK was secretly a mutant. I laughed so fucking hard.

And yes, the scene at the end of the credits with Apocalypse and his four horsemen was fucking awesome!!!

I really wanna watch this is it any good? I've heard mix reviews on it

EXCELLENT. Not sure who you're getting mixed reviews from, but they're not very reliable IMO.

The film has a 91% Fresh rating on RottenTomatoes.com with an average rating of 7.6/10 and over 95% of 172,000+ users have rated it positively with an average rating of 4.5/5.

I'd probably give it a 4/5 or a 8/10 personally. It was a very good film and lots of fun. The only bad part about the film was that it ended :( :D

It's already been confirmed that Channing Tatum has a 2-film deal to play Gambit. He'll first appear as him in X-Men: Apocalypse, and then they suspect he'll get his own solo film.

Yea.... just me trying to stay positive I guess :( Worst part is, with the post credit scene in DoFP........

[spoiler=tatum]Channing Tatum could actually be even LESS believable as Gambit if he is the Horseman Death. He would have to be cool and serious, like, at the same time..

Yea.... just me trying to stay positive I guess :( Worst part is, with the post credit scene in DoFP........

[spoiler=tatum]Channing Tatum could actually be even LESS believable as Gambit if he is the Horseman Death. He would have to be cool and serious, like, at the same time..

Personally, with who has actually been confirmed to be in the next movie, I don't think Gambit will be the current incarnation of Death. Channing Tatum can play Gambit, but I don't think he can play "both Death and Gambit" (as "Horseman" Gambit described himself in the comics :D ). Plus, since Fan Bingbing is one of the few actors who've been confirmed to be appearing in Apocalypse, I think that might be their major connection to Apocalypse himself (as Blink has always been a suspected/hinted descendent of Apocalypse).

Since we know the film has something to do with the X-Men "discovering the origins of mutants" and that young versions of Storm, Cyclops, and Jean Grey will also be appearing (but have not yet been cast -- or at least publicly confirmed), I think a young Gambit fits pretty well into this "Second Class". Especially since they've described "Apocalypse" as more of a sequel to "First Class" than "Days of Future Past" is.

If you ask me, based on what they're saying about "Apocalypse", I think they're creating a new story, but they're also relying heavily on the Ultimate Origins series by Bendis -- which, if true would be kind of hilarious since the Disney side of Marvel is also relying heavily on Bendis's writings as well :D

---

On a side note, did anyone else notice that Azazel is one of the dead mutants that has been autopsied by Trask? That means if Nightcrawler is ever going to exist, Mystique has some frozen demon sperm lying around somewhere :eek:

On a side note, did anyone else notice that Azazel is one of the dead mutants that has been autopsied by Trask? That means if Nightcrawler is ever going to exist, Mystique has some frozen demon sperm lying around somewhere :eek:

Or she gave birth to him sometime before the events of DOFP and gave him up.

I'd really like the movies to establish the fact that Nightcrawler is her son, but I have a feeling it won't happen.

Go see it!

First of all....THAT SIG!! <3

Secondly, I say it's surely the best X-men flick of the batch but with so many continuity and plot muddles, it's still on par with the Spiderman movie lineage. The action and story overall WAS very enjoyable and as I thought and has been said, Quicksilver literally grabbed the movie and ran off stealing it!! Easily the best part of the movie next to the hype of the credit scene. Very surprised with how much I liked it with how badly I could pick it apart. Still, it's being used as a "Reset" so I could accept it.

Finally saw the movie today. What else can I say except that it's the best X-Men film so far. Yes it's a time travel story and so it was full of those cliches, but I thought they did an excellent job of executing it all into an intense film.

I was skeptical about the future Sentinels based on screenshots shown months ago, but they were pretty scary as machines that have evolved into these virtually unstoppable robots. The climatic battle was epic, and all the death scenes of the future X-men were gruesome yet awesome (like Colossus being literally pulled apart or Iceman getting his head chopped off and stepped on).

The past scenes were really good too, with Michael Fassbender doing a great job as Magneto. However, I think Quicksilver stole the movie during the escape scene. It was shot really well and had some great comedic moments thrown in during what was suppose to be a serious escape attempt. Jennifer Lawrence did a great job as Mystique as well, and she did a great job portraying Mystique as a conflicted character who struggled with her desire for revenge for her fallen brethren, and trying to listen to Charles and doing the right thing by not killing Trask in order to protect the future of mutantkind.

The pacing of the story was great. It didn't even feel like a 2+ hour movie as I was surprised when it was over and how quickly it flew by. I didn't really like how they quickly dismissed most of the cast in First Class as dead, especially Emma Frost as she's an important figure in the overall X-men universe, but it's possible that they didn't actually die and we'll see them again in the next film. Speaking of which, I'm really excited for Apocalypse now and seeing that after-credits scene with him makes me really wish it was 2016 already.

I'm giving this movie a 9.5/10. Fan-fucking-tastic.

The past scenes were really good too, with Michael Fassbender doing a great job as Magneto. However, I think Quicksilver stole the movie during the escape scene. It was shot really well and had some great comedic moments thrown in during what was suppose to be a serious escape attempt. Jennifer Lawrence did a great job as Mystique as well, and she did a great job portraying Mystique as a conflicted character who struggled with her desire for revenge for her fallen brethren, and trying to listen to Charles and doing the right thing by not killing Trask in order to protect the future of mutantkind.

I definitely agree with all of this. It's funny, because big action movies like this usually don't have people pointing out how amazing the actors' performances are ... but, I honestly think that this film and "First Class" are some of Lawrence's best acting we've ever seen, and a lot of it was done under such heavy makeup that you can barely see HER, yet she put such powerful emotion into both of these performances. I still think she was best in "Silver Linings Playbook", but I think these two films are easily next on her list of best performances ... but I didn't like her performances in "Winter's Bone" or "American Hustle." And to be honest, the "Hunger Games" films are meh.

I've actually yet to see ANYTHING with Fassbender where I wasn't impressed by his acting skill ... he's basically a young Tom Hanks at this point. I'd really only notice if he suddenly had a bad film.

And yes ... Quicksilver stole the show. That was only partially due to Evan Peters' performance. Mostly it was due to the filming/music choices and the superb writing of the film.

I definitely agree with all of this. It's funny, because big action movies like this usually don't have people pointing out how amazing the actors' performances are ... but, I honestly think that this film and "First Class" are some of Lawrence's best acting we've ever seen, and a lot of it was done under such heavy makeup that you can barely see HER, yet she put such powerful emotion into both of these performances. I still think she was best in "Silver Linings Playbook", but I think these two films are easily next on her list of best performances ... but I didn't like her performances in "Winter's Bone" or "American Hustle." And to be honest, the "Hunger Games" films are meh.

I've actually yet to see ANYTHING with Fassbender where I wasn't impressed by his acting skill ... he's basically a young Tom Hanks at this point. I'd really only notice if he suddenly had a bad film.

And yes ... Quicksilver stole the show. That was only partially due to Evan Peters' performance. Mostly it was due to the filming/music choices and the superb writing of the film.

The point that the Quicksilver scene was so extraordinary is bc both his scenes focused on the one thing they never really showed in all of the X movies - He was having fun with his powers. He wasn't afraid of them/himself. He wasn't necessarily a "criminal", even with all the paraphernalia, he just can't seem to stay still haha. In that essence, it was the one thing just about anyone who went to see the movie dreams of doing: enjoying a spectacular gift.

My two major plot and characterization gripes are

[spoiler=1]Kitty Pryde honestly could've been left out of the movie. Her phasing powers had nothing to do with time travel. The reason Rachel Summers does it in the comic is bc she possesses telepathy and telekinesis like her mother. Kitty's role just made no sense at all. That and while it was an amazing effect, it's a bullshit explanation for Mystique's DNA to allow Sentinels to adapt a mutants "Power". They explained that it allows them to shift/morph but Mystique was never able to actually take someones power. Why couldn't they have had a small role for Rogue in this light? With the continuity breaking Last Stand, one thing they could've taken there is when she gets the cure. They could have some form of her original DNA and utilized that. But that's getting into the logical and reasonable senses lol.

Complaints aside, it completely kicks Last Stands ass to the curb at the very least. At the most, it was a badass action-packed mutant flick.

I was so intrigued about this movie. I had a terrible feeling of disappointment because First Class was absolutely fine and riveting. That one was even better than X-Men 2 (the last one directed by Brian Singer before this).

The thing that bugs me the most about the film, is that they didn't explain why Xavier was alive after he was vaporized by Jean in The Last Stand, and how Wolverine got his adamantium claws back after the Silver Samurai cut them off in The Wolverine.

Ignoring those previous plot points (canon or not) shows how poorly thought out these movies have been.

Personally, I think that First Class is the best X-Men film.

The thing that bugs me the most about the film, is that they didn't explain why Xavier was alive after he was vaporized by Jean in The Last Stand, and how Wolverine got his adamantium claws back after the Silver Samurai cut them off in The Wolverine.

Xavier transferred his mind into the body of his twin brother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnVoTt35Uw0

This movie worth the $10 ticket??

Damn right.

My two major plot and characterization gripes are

[spoiler=1]Kitty Pryde honestly could've been left out of the movie. Her phasing powers had nothing to do with time travel. The reason Rachel Summers does it in the comic is bc she possesses telepathy and telekinesis like her mother. Kitty's role just made no sense at all. That and while it was an amazing effect, it's a bullshit explanation for Mystique's DNA to allow Sentinels to adapt a mutants "Power". They explained that it allows them to shift/morph but Mystique was never able to actually take someones power. Why couldn't they have had a small role for Rogue in this light? With the continuity breaking Last Stand, one thing they could've taken there is when she gets the cure. They could have some form of her original DNA and utilized that. But that's getting into the logical and reasonable senses lol.

Complaints aside, it completely kicks Last Stands ass to the curb at the very least. At the most, it was a badass action-packed mutant flick.

Good points. I agree with your one point about the other mutant which would better explain how the sentinels could steal other mutant's powers. I'm assuming they used Mystique instead simply because they wanted her to play a bigger role in the plot (but I agree it makes little sense given the nature of her powers).

Edited by Rapture639

Good points. I agree with your one point about the other mutant which would better explain how the sentinels could steal other mutant's powers. I'm assuming they used Mystique instead simply because they wanted her to play a bigger role in the plot (but I agree it makes little sense given the nature of her powers).

After reading about Rogue's deleted scene now, it would've made just as less sense given my Kitty argument. Where was Emma Frost as well? She's a HUGE Telepath and much like how Nightcrawler (one of my fav characters both comic and movie) was just omitted after X2. They did the same with Emma and she could've played a very important role. Plus mentioning so many mutants who died in the 70's makes some more plot holes like Nightcrawlers existence overall.

Regardless that Time Travel is always a big plot-bending headache, there are some easy to identify flaws in this flick even though I loved it.

After reading about Rogue's deleted scene now, it would've made just as less sense given my Kitty argument. Where was Emma Frost as well? She's a HUGE Telepath and much like how Nightcrawler (one of my fav characters both comic and movie) was just omitted after X2. They did the same with Emma and she could've played a very important role. Plus mentioning so many mutants who died in the 70's makes some more plot holes like Nightcrawlers existence overall.

Regardless that Time Travel is always a big plot-bending headache, there are some easy to identify flaws in this flick even though I loved it.

I mention that part in my review, but I'll state again that this kind of feels more like a sequel to the Singer trilogy than to First Class if that makes any sense. Of course, that may have to do with the fact that Singer directed this one, but I'm mainly referring to the fact that most of the cast of "First Class" were limited to a couple minutes of cameo appearance or simply written off as dead. That wouldn't be a big issue for the minor characters, but Emma and Azazel are pretty important in the overall X-Men universe.

I also wonder where exactly the next movie (Apocalypse) takes place in the timeline. With Days of Future Past they basically reset the entire X-Men movie universe, so are they going to have to explain how all the mutants are taken into the Xavier school again?

I mention that part in my review, but I'll state again that this kind of feels more like a sequel to the Singer trilogy than to First Class if that makes any sense. Of course, that may have to do with the fact that Singer directed this one, but I'm mainly referring to the fact that most of the cast of "First Class" were limited to a couple minutes of cameo appearance or simply written off as dead. That wouldn't be a big issue for the minor characters, but Emma and Azazel are pretty important in the overall X-Men universe.

I also wonder where exactly the next movie (Apocalypse) takes place in the timeline. With Days of Future Past they basically reset the entire X-Men movie universe, so are they going to have to explain how all the mutants are taken into the Xavier school again?

You literally put it as it is. DoFP wasn't so much a direct sequel but as said, a reset to the original trilogy and the future of the next one. Apocalypse will be a direct sequel to First Class from what I saw Singer say. There's talks of a young Cyclops, Storm and obviously Gambit's (re)introduction.