Best ways to farm money and materials?

Slaughter.

just going around attacking Brigs an Freighters is the best bet, use the scope to see what they're carrying to know who to attack the middle of the northern area has a bunch of POW ships, right now just got to the Albany area and going around all the windy areas before continuing the story there getting any collectibles

i havent even done many missions an i already took out 1 MOW , almost got one even earlier when i lucked out by having an ally ship with me taking the focus off but then we were near the ridge of a redzone an other ships came an took me out

i just need the blueprints for the final teir of all the weapons/armor other than Maxed Carronades and Heavy Shot

havent unlocked the mortars yet in the story

just need a bunch of wood to finish up the storages

im at 33% sequence 2, 18% overall and mostly just exploring all the islands an stuff, 99% of the time after boarding a ship i can kill the guys with the puckle gun without even boarding and then chose the Salvage option for the additional 1000k~

only time i needed to repair was maybe 1-2 times

Edited by eiVaL

Money is a joke once you open up gang headquarters, forts and renovations in Sequence 3 (or is it 2?); steady income increases with every property you claim.

The materials are the only real work...I'll be honest, I cheated and bought the $2 Time Saver: Resource Pack (500 of metal, wood, etc)...twice. I got the game cheap, so it felt worth it.

But getting them by capturing ships becomes much easier once you have the Puckle Gun; I just get on it and blast the enemy sailors from my own deck, small ships are captured in seconds. Man O Wars are too tall to hit much with it, but you can at least take out the high scouts and get off a few shots as your men grapple you in close.

Be on the lookout for enemy ships that appear on your world map (in light blue): they are loaded with one resource or another (like 300+ Metal).

Yeah, renovate everything. Once I began renovating, I began leaving the game on even when I wasn't playing so that Shay could continue collecting money. As long as you go back to the console every hour to empty the bank, the money keeps rolling in.

Resources are harder to come by, but you'll earn more money than you can spend this way.

Great tips - I'm trying to renovate as much as I can early on so I can start racking up money. Although I'm a little disappointed to have left my game on for 4 hours and only cash in 4 times. I would have assumed it would have gone faster than that.

Related question: All the treasure chests I've encountered say "earn money: low" when I hover over them on the map. It seems collecting prosperity rewards don't change this rating. Is there anything I can do to up the earning potential of treasure chests? Or should I just collect them as I see them?

Get the chest as you see them, but they're not worth the effort to seek them out.

Cash hits the bank every 20 minutes and it maxes out at four deposits. The more you renovate/own, the more you make every 20 minutes. I also made liberal use of the fleet. Send the ships on missions too; may as well rake in some cash that way as well; no reason to have idle assets.