Dead Rising 2: Case West's tricky 'Handy Man' Achievement

QuiCkz AleX

If you picked up Dead Rising 2: Case West and are having a problem getting the "Handy Man" Achievement, which requires building all the new weapons in the DLC, it may not necessarily be that you're missing something. XBLA Fans, in its "DR2: Case West Weapons Combo Guide," notes that the "Handy Man" requires players build only the seven new weapons in the game. Apparently, if you create any other weapons before those seven, you'll have to move the save file to another device or delete it.

The site previously put together the handy-dandy Super Meat Boy bandage guide, which has helped keep our rage-tossing controller destruction to a minimum.

Gallery: Dead Rising 2: Case West DLC (11/30/10)

Source: XBLA Fans

I built other weapons (the first one I built was the grenade football) and still had the "handyman" achievement pop up no problem...

This. I had also built the Flamethrower before I built any of the new weapons.

Seems totally random at this point. It unlocked perfectly for me after I built my last "new" weapon, but my buddy can't get it to unlock at all.

I can confirm that I also built a football+grenade combo (it was waiting to be built in that first maint room afterall) LONG before I built the 7 from this game and still got it.

..still, for somebody who did not get it, this might be worth a try.

im pretty sure this is incorrect seeing as its not possible... you have to make the laser sword to make the laser gun which is outside of the new 7 weapons, i would put it down to just being a glitchy achievement

EDIT: can confirm this is false as i just unlocked it after making a new save, made the hail mary and laser sword first then made the seven new weapons which unlocked the achievement, i did all this before finishing case file 1-2 which could have made a difference as in my first play through i made the last of the 7 weapons (laser gun) in case file 3-2.

Edited by AToMiiK

Okay guys, this worked for me and may work for you. when making the combo's for this achievement, make sure to apply them in the correct order for each card.

for example:if you make zap 'n shine, first put up the floor buffer, then the stun rod.

The other combos are:

Lightning Gun = BFG + Stun Rod

Reaper = Scythe + Katana

Impact Blaster = Impact Hammer + BFG

Sterilizer = Chemicals + Syringe Gun

Shocker = Defibrillator + Medical Trays.

Laser Sword = Gems + Flash Light

Laser Gun = Laser Sword + Lightning Gun

I included the laser sword combo card because it is necessary to make.

One last thing that i also did: Don't Skip the weapon combo scenes!

Let me know if this helped at all.

Okay guys, this worked for me and may work for you. when making the combo's for this achievement, make sure to apply them in the correct order for each card.

for example:if you make zap 'n shine, first put up the floor buffer, then the stun rod.

The other combos are:

Reaper = Scythe + Katana

The order doesn't factor in at all because I didn't do them in that order and skipped the cut scenes.

The other combos are:

Reaper = Scythe + Katana

I can confirm this method works, however if you already got the achievement glitched (I tried doing it on a completed file with restart story and it didn't worked) you MUST do it on a new savefile as the first post said. Thanks for the help!

I built other weapons (the first one I built was the grenade football) and still had the "handyman" achievement pop up no problem...
Yeah I don't know who XBLA Fans is, but clearly they are wrong. I also built other various weapons in between doing the ones for the achievement, and I got it without a problem. Plus, they say to only build the 7 new weapons and not any old ones? That is impossible as you need to build the Laser Sword (an old combo weapon) before you can build the Laser Gun. So there is absolutely no way their assessment is correct.

The order doesn't factor in at all because I didn't do them in that order and skipped the cut scenes.
Same here, I skipped the little building scenes and I got the achievement with no problems.

Seems like it's still just randomly bugged, because plenty of us can disprove all of the conditions people have suggested so far.

i did all this before finishing case file 1-2 which could have made a difference as in my first play through i made the last of the 7 weapons (laser gun) in case file 3-2.
Also no. I forgot to build my own Laser Gun, so I reloaded a save I had during Case 3, made one, and still got the achievement. Edited by mjc0961

The other combos are:

Reaper = Scythe + Katana

I followed the combo list in order and didn't skip the weapon combo cut scenes. The achievement popped up after the laser gun was built. Thank you for the info.

If people are still having problems getting this glitched achievement then I will tell you what I did. I had to delete my only save file on the game. (At this point you should have 0 game saves). Then make a new game and save the game as soon as you get the chance. (This helps if you accidently mess up). On 1-2 I just built only the new combo weapons in the right order. (On my previous post someone already gave out a good new combo list in order). You should build them all by 1-3 and do it on a solo playthrough. (I'm not sure if playing solo would make a difference though). You should build the laser gun as your last new weapon and the acheivement should pop up.

Huh. You know, just in case anyone forgets to look at the combo card list, there is one in there that isn't being mentioned in this thread or in GuerrillaTechs list. If you combine a floor buffer (some right by maintenance rooms) with a stun baton from the zombie wranglers, that was my final combo and I popped the achievement with no problem.

I didn't use any of the crazy methods of deleting saves or only making the new weapons before a certain case. I made football grenades and the cement saw plate thrower right in the middle of all this and finished this achievement in the middle cases of the game. Hope this helped.

Ok, to get this acheivement do this:

Clear your consoles cashe (removes any temporary game data)

Use a different storage device to create a new save file on

Make all the new weapons and the Laser Sword during case 1-2 in the order listed below (thanks to GuerillaTech)

Make sure the first item you place is the first item listed in the combo, e.g. put the Floor Buffer on first then add the Stun Rod

Don't Skip the weapon combo scenes!

zap 'n shine = floor buffer + stun rod

Reaper = Scythe + Katana

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED

Ok, to get this acheivement do this:

Clear your consoles cashe (removes any temporary game data)

Use a different storage device to create a new save file on

Make all the new weapons and the Laser Sword during case 1-2 in the order listed below (thanks to GuerillaTech)

Make sure the first item you place is the first item listed in the combo, e.g. put the Floor Buffer on first then add the Stun Rod

Don't Skip the weapon combo scenes!

zap 'n shine = floor buffer + stun rod

Reaper = Scythe + Katana

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED

This method just worked for me.