Where do you get your books?

Paka

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few places really. I order online from Chapters.ca. From physical stores I go to one used bookstore fairly often and sometimes to larger chain stores like Chapters. However, I live close to Toronto which has to really great stores. The (formally) largest bookstore in the world and I really good used bookstore that has so many hardcovers in great condition for all sorts of books.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My favourite local place here in Colombo is the Sarasavi or I just use Sarasavi online and Kapruka when we're abroad during our family holidays if I wanna order Sinhalese books online really quickly. For English novels I use Chapters, Amazon and Kobo. When I wanna take my time to review/go through the books before I buy, I always liked Sarasavi and Chapters or from online, Goodreads!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'll generally go to Waterstones, but sometimes I will get them off Amazon. If they are out of print then i'll check places like Amazon's marketplace and Play.com or Ebay. I don't go to car boot sales very often but ive got a fair few books from there before for great prices.

Amazon for newer books and ebooks.

However, where the bulk of my library additions are currently coming from is every year, my local library does a big event where they get rid of their old books and people can donate theirs as well. They then sell all the books (50 cents for paperback, $1 for hardcover). I usually find myself getting at least one box full each year. I've found some nice gems in there too, the best being a first edition of Canticle for Leibowitz. I do need to stop buying copies of Rama II from them though, as I somehow keep forgetting that that's in my collection (Though admittedly, the one I find each year is in better shape than the last).