Pad Config and general advice for beginner

Blazman83

So although ive casually played SF since I was a kid (on the old snes), turns out I'm sh!t at SF4. My reactions are slow in my old age!

I tried online the other day and got my arse handed to me by about 10 ppl in a row! Eventually won my first fight tho but it was close!

I use a pad, and wondered what u,guys consider the button burn layout?

I currently have

LT = LK

A = MK

B = HK

RT = KKK

LB = LP

X = MP

Y = HP

RB = PPP

I have beaten the game on hardest with a few characters, but only coz I have it set to 30 second rounds with 1 round per match. Eve n then I spam the focus attack.

As for the trials I'm rubbish,get to around 7-8 on some characters maybe 11-12 on others. I do the moves the guy either blocks the move or the game doesn't register it as I've done it to fast or slow,can't seem to time it right!

Yeah so I'm rubbish, tips would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Blazman83

I would just let the buttons where they was from the beginning.

i dont know what do you want from us,you just have to train^^

this game is almost 3 years old there arent many new players....

so training training training training .

And in ssf4 the timing is really hard .

You just have to find the right timing.You can also plink to make it easier,but this is hard on a Pad.

And just use one character,so you will eventually get good with him.

I use pad with the default layout. What characters do you generally use?

I think the key to winning matches is your movement of the left analogue stick has to be really fast, block, have some anti-air actions, grab teq (so press grab when they're about to grab to prevent it) and know your supers and ultras.

I was the same as you probably still am lol but I use to be really bad until about 6 months ago when I got the game for PC, I had it on 360 too for a couple of years but wasn't any good back then.

What characters do you use?

I think Zangief, Cammy, Ryu, Ken, Cody, Ibuki, Fei Long, Adon and Chun-Li are really easy characters to use online.

• 6 months later...

If I was you I would go back to basics (put your controller set up back to defult as its the simpliest and easiest way to play in my opinion.)

I used to be horrible at the game, I couldn't land any ultras, supers or basic links. It just takes time, to get the feel of the game machics.

The thing that really helped me was watching the vesper arcade tuts on youtube. They teach the game basics and everything up to FADC to ultra/super mix Ups. I watched them and understood a lot more about the game which made it easier to land certain moves/combos.

Take your time with the game and always remeber that the pad is your friend not your enemy so treat him with respect lol.

• 1 month later...

For the trials, if you do the move and nothing comes out, that means you've inputted it too fast, if they block, you're too slow. It's basic, but trust me you can blow through trials once you understand how the game works. I personally blew through all of Blankas and 20 of Guiles trials yesterday just by seeing if I was doing moves too fast/too slow.

Keep in mind you can cancel normal attacks into your special/ultra.

And example: For Guile if you wanted to do:

Jump H > Standing M > Sonic boom > ULTRA I

You would link the first 2 standard attacks then cancel the standing M into the Sonic boom > Ultra. Trials are just a combination of chaining and cancelling and overall it's pretty simple.

The problem people have is that they don't understand the way the game works and give up before ever trying to learn it.