What's Your "I'm Finally Done!" Moment?

Fire Hawk D

It's one of the best feelings when achievement hunting. You're working on a game, it's going well but you forgot to check the achievement list before, but you figure it won't be too bad. Then...it happens. You're stuck. You try for hours, and decide to quit before/after you've raged hard. You come back to it now and then overtime, but slowly your drive fades and your attempts come less frequently.

One day, much later, you decide to dust it off and try again. And...you do it. What in the world?! YES! IT'S DONE!

I had that moment today. FINALLY somehow sat down and 3-batted each Combat Challenge in Batman: Arkham Asylum. My first achievement was in Nov '09, I gave up in Sep '10, and finally finished today. It was amazing.

So, have you ever had a game that did this to you? And, if so, which one?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never given up because of one achievement. If I decide to do something, I usually sit there and hit at it until it's done, or I'll decide to come back in a few hours / the next day.

What happens to me more often is that I'll be playing a game, get bored, and start playing something else. Then 6+ months later, I'll come back and finish the game. I call it Video Game A.D.D.

I've never given up because of one achievement. If I decide to do something, I usually sit there and hit at it until it's done, or I'll decide to come back in a few hours / the next day.

Yeah, I hate giving up like that, and I haven't on any of my more recent games (read: since I started caring about completion percentage). But, when I do, it's usually after giving the ole good college try.

I had something like that happen when I was playing COD 4 on veteran . I got to the part where everyone seems to get stuck or atleast it looks that way according to most of the posts on the achievement list for that game but I came back the next day and ran through it in no time.

My big 'finally' moment was getting The Mile High Club on Modern Warfare on Veteran. I remember I had tried days and days, always getting to the same spot, or a little further. Gave up and forgot about it for a few weeks. Came back to it and got it on my second attempt. Got excited and called everyone I knew who had watched me.

Another one was beating all the missions on Left 4 Dead on Expert. Me and two friends had done Death Toll, Dead Air and Blood Harvest. We decided to take on No Mercy. We get to the finale and open the Jesus Room. The chopper comes, and we all take off. My two friends get in and right before I hop into the chopper, I get nabbed by a Smoker. Got a little frustrated, but we played the level again. Same thing. Get to the end, Jesus Room. Chopper comes, and my friends run out to try and distract the infected. I dart out, jump over the rail and run right into a Tank. We all got incapacitated. Was gettin uber irritated by then, and we started it again. Get to the end, Jesus Room, and wait. We all dart and run around the building and up the ramp. My two friends get hit by a Smoker and Hunter. As I pop into the Chopper, a Tank hurls a rock at me, knocking me in. Luckily, I had finally gotten the damn achievement. Backed out, took the game out and never looked back, haha.

It's one of the best feelings when achievement hunting. You're working on a game, it's going well but you forgot to check the achievement list before, but you figure it won't be too bad. Then...it happens. You're stuck. You try for hours, and decide to quit before/after you've raged hard. You come back to it now and then overtime, but slowly your drive fades and your attempts come less frequently.

One day, much later, you decide to dust it off and try again. And...you do it. What in the world?! YES! IT'S DONE!

I had that moment today. FINALLY somehow sat down and 3-batted each Combat Challenge in Batman: Arkham Asylum. My first achievement was in Nov '09, I gave up in Sep '10, and finally finished today. It was amazing.

So, have you ever had a game that did this to you? And, if so, which one?

I keep seeing all these signs for Batman, trying to push me towards beating those damn challenges. I think I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks for the encouragement.

I've had those feelings, and they feel good. MY favorite, probably, was Left 4 Dead Expert mode, all of them. Feels so good to have done them all legit.

Can't wait to tackle Batman again and beat the challenges.

Modern Warfare 2, 3 nights ago. I had one spec ops mission left, high explosive or w/e (the one where you gotta take out 12 juggers with only knife and explosives). Got 3 stars on it alone after trying for like an hour and a half, then, after finally getting Star 69, I started getting the rest of the single player achievements. Had to basically replay every level to get the collectibles. Finished at 5:45 AM and felt like a total champion. Broke 70K, got another game 100% completed. Just fucking awesome.

2006 Fifa World Cup. I never actually gave up per se, i don't think i played any games in between finishing this. But those challenges omg. It was just the Two of them, Aus vs Solomon Islands(who have GOD as their keeper) and Sweden vs Brazil. I didn't even do them last, but once i finished them i knew it was gonna be smooth sailing to the 1000g.

I keep seeing all these signs for Batman, trying to push me towards beating those damn challenges. I think I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks for the encouragement.

I've had those feelings, and they feel good. MY favorite, probably, was Left 4 Dead Expert mode, all of them. Feels so good to have done them all legit.

Can't wait to tackle Batman again and beat the challenges.

Yeah, I had written off this game a along time ago. The combat challenges just didn't seem achievable with my skill. But, I came back to it, and completed it in two mornings. I started looking at it like a rhythm game. Punch, punch, jump, cape, punch, punch, punch, take-down, etc. It was annoying, but apparently doable. Just keep at it and you'll find your rhythm. ^_^

mine was prolly when i got my 100% in halo3. i had most all the achievements with my old gamertag, but ended up making a new one with the second xbox i purchased. i wouldnt of been able to complete my first ever 100% w/out this site, thanks too all the members that helped with vidmaster annual :D

also this was my first game that i got into over XBL, and one of my all-time favorites. so it was very nice to see this game as my first 100%.

354 hours of gameplay over 6 months led to me finally unlocking my final achievement in Star Ocean: TLH. You could say I was quite happy to be done with it, considering I spent about 80 hours alone working on a total of 60,000 kills. Meanwhile, I was watching Dragonball Z, which is much more productive (got through 150 episodes).

What happens to me more often is that I'll be playing a game, get bored, and start playing something else. Then 6+ months later, I'll come back and finish the game. I call it Video Game A.D.D.

Video Game A.D.D. Awesome!! Mind if I start using that!? LOL

I have had a couple over the years however the worst was probably with the game Pure. I got the game for xmas in 2008 and got 12 before I went back to college and basically wrote the game off due to terrible gameplay. However, right before xmas 2010 I decided to give it a go and I finished the rest of the game in three days.

There have been other games that I am finishing up now that I had given up on but that was before I got into achievements and completing games. I have had a love hate relationship with Forza 2 the only achievement I have left is 1,000,000 million credits online but I am just not good enough to play online.

man seriously 2.0 in gears2, what a bullshit achivement that was

i poured hours into that game. 5+ plays of the campaign, thousands of waves in horde, tons of MP. I got all the other achievements and only boosted xp level and rounds completed. so how far towards 100,000 kills am I? I mean, I've played all they epic has put there. Played the game way more than any other i've played except maybe morrowind.

12,000 kills, that's it! the amount of time i've spent on this game, and epic thinks i should have played 8 times as much?! that's crazy!

so i set off doing the same brumak rodeo section for hours, watching tv whilst i automatically blow up grubs, reload checkpoint, rinse and repeat. caught up on all my tv documentaries and podcasts, something like 15 hours of kill boosting, and i stop boosting about 8 kills from the total

I decided, my 100,000th kill needs to be human, so I enter an online match, got my last kill by gibbing some guy with the gnasher, up pops seriously 2.0 and i send my victim a nice message thanking him for the achievement

phew, done. most effort i've ever put into a 100%. now i can catch up on some other games before gears3 comes out.

loving gears3, but i'm not sure if i wanna put myself through another seriously. maybe i'll see how close i am when all else is done

couple more notable moments.

hitman blood money

actually only 1000% this yesterday, the game itself doesn't take that long and it's really fun, especially when it gets harder. the problem comes with how ill fated my attempts at completion were

took maybe 4 years from first playing to finishing the game

2 xboxs

2 lost saves

2 lost achievement progress

2 discs bought

3 disc not read, needing to be taken for disc cleaning

after all that, i finally finished it

assassins creed

first ever 1000 i got. at the time i was living alone, having moved to a new city, no job, no money, friends, i could go days without using my voice. this time in my life is how i became an achievement whore. plently of hours to sink into games.

but man, those damn flags, and i could not find a decent guide to find them, eventually had to start a new game to keep track of them all. went through a load of youtube footage finding them, which was tough an a crappy mobile internet.

finally i got the last flag and the 1000, so no more of that bullcrap. but i was hooked on achievements

for me it had to be star 69, me and my m8 battled through it every day and nite till we got it, one lvl pissed me of sooooo much i was ready to give up (i have a short temper) but my m8 kept me going, the lvl was where halfway through u hide in a plane and u have to run down the hill past all the enemies only for another juggernaut to appear infront then run up the hill past more enemies and into a car i think (soz for the bad explanation) and once we had done that man the feeling was great.