Poll: Would GTAO been 'better' with out micro transactions?

Dirty130

Would GTAO been a better experience without micro transactions?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Would GTAO been a better experience without micro transactions?

• Would have been a better experience WITH micro transactions
    • Would have been a better experience WITHOUT micro transactions

So the online portion has been out for some time now. Christmas has been and gone which has brought many new players. If micro transactions were never included in the game to begin with, do you think it would have made for a better online experience?

I bring this dangerous subject up again as some of my friends got it over Christmas and now they feel "out-powered" by those of us that have "more unlocks." So they bring up or admit to purchasing micro transactions (like it's a lewd act or something) and the "need to" to be competitive.

Edit: Wondered if it would say 'poll' twice in the title. I'll remember that for next time I guess. Also had no idea I had one of the choices in italic..

Edited by Dirty130

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither. With or without, it doesn't matter. Really, the MTs shouldn't impact the experience at all. And the modders would have done what they've been doing regardless too, because that's what they do. I've had no problems putting in the time to earn and purchase all that I have for my two characters legit. If someone's impatient and can't do that, so be it. And if the former (as in people like me) can't handle playing with the latter, there are private/crew lobby options you can take.

Plus.... the newcomer members in my crew tend to be taken under our wings, and they (and people creating a second character) unlock all that good stuff before they know it, as the level +70 missions do a whole lot more to their ranking up than the level 10 missions do, so there's just little need for them to use the MTs.

Edited by jswartz0181

the modders would have done what they've been doing regardless too, because that's what they do.

Yeah, totally agree there. Any R* game gets the full treatment from hackers/modders. Thanks for the input.

Edit: Sorry for not including a "neither"/neutral vote. Probably would have been a good idea.

Edited by Dirty130

Any R* game gets the full treatment from hackers/modders..

Any and every game gets hacked/modded, there's no reason for it other than "because they can", no matter who the developer is.

I don't think that the micro-transactions have had any influence on the actual game, besides giving people a reason to moan, the extra money doesn't give anyone access to anything that isn't unlocked via normal game play.

I do believe that R* implemented micro-transactions poorly: well, I believe they shouldn't have added it at all, but it's the done thing nowadays, micro-transactions should be left to free2play games and not used to milk the players of full price games.

And I really can't see the point in selling blocks of in game money, as apposed to what developers usually use as micro-transaction bait: in game customization items (that aren't available to people not willing to pay) and money/exp boosts.

I'm also sure that I've heard a few adverts on the ingame radio that take the piss out of micro-transactions, so there's some lovely hypocrisy on the part R*.

I just think that R* have mismanaged the online portion of their game, expecting it to take on a sort of MMO status with out having to (or just not being able to) actually put in the work to develop and maintain the sort of online experience (and economy) that the type of online they were aiming for demands.

The question presents a false dichotomy, because:

Neither. With or without, it doesn't matter. Really, the MTs shouldn't impact the experience at all. And the modders would have done what they've been doing regardless too, because that's what they do. I've had no problems putting in the time to earn and purchase all that I have for my two characters legit. If someone's impatient and can't do that, so be it. And if the former (as in people like me) can't handle playing with the latter, there are private/crew lobby options you can take.

Plus.... the newcomer members in my crew tend to be taken under our wings, and they (and people creating a second character) unlock all that good stuff before they know it, as the level +70 missions do a whole lot more to their ranking up than the level 10 missions do, so there's just little need for them to use the MTs.

I couldn't have said it better myself :)

Since microtransactions were cut off mere hours after it launched (and haven't come back as far as I know), it hasn't made a difference.

Those complaining about it making a difference on GTA Online are just trying to find something to complain about.

If the MT's only geared towards money, big whoop. Being that it pretty much launches you levels ahead at the click of a button is a poor element no matter how you slice it.

However, as I've noticed, I don't know anyone who's not only wanted to purchase these but have at all. So, any complaints thus far are null and void since people claiming that R* is "forcing you to buy them" is a load of bull for the two reasons that they seem to be inaccessible and that's over-exaggerating it. Esp when you see posts of people starting new characters and finding their niches to rank up.

As I've said about Reach which every Halo fan and their mother swore would die before Halo 4 wound up eating their words. GTAOnline is the farthest thing from "Dead" and I don't see it dying anytime this year. I could very well be wrong but there hasn't been a big enough pop drop to suggest so. Even "haters" are still putting in stupid amounts of hours.

Almost any game is going to be better without microtransactions

I remember buying a single micro transaction for Dead Space 2 upon the game's release. Think it was like$1.25 or something for a fancy gun. Used it for most of the campaign. Always wondered how I would have played had I had not bought the micro transaction. Probably would have just spammed the next gun I liked..

At the end of the day, any game I've paid for already, I don't think should have micro transactions. If the developer wants to include 'extra stuff', make it free to the player via all the profit you'd just made selling the game!

Thanks for the input Direkin;), puppys and Bloodring.

Can't really vote since I have not played the game in over a month and the online was only played for something like an hour.

But if you can do whatever the microtransactions help with, without actually using them, then eh, I don't see much of a problem with it. Yes, I dislike microtransactions, but if it's not required to finish a game, then let it be.

Micro transactions should have no place in online games, for advancement in single player mode won't bother anyone.
Thanks for the input. Agree on the "no place in online games."

Can't really vote since I have not played the game in over a month and the online was only played for something like an hour.

Wait. You didn't get into the online, at all? What stopped you?

Well, I played quite a bit of GTAO, and I can't even remember what micro transactions you can get? so, can't of been that good.

I'm gonna vote, that no the game wouldn't be better. I'd rather they wouldn't exist, but it doesn't take away from the game that they do.

However, that wasn't how e question was phrased, so I'll have to say I'd rather they wouldn't be there.

I can safely say that i will never, ever buy a micro-transaction in any way, shape or form. Its definitely disheartening to see how the current trend of 'nickel and dime-ing' customers has leeched itself onto full retail games, from the "Filthy casuals" (Quote form Gackt :p) over on the smartphones and tablets.

I think its reflective of the way a large portion of the worlds populous have almost become... morons in the last decade or so. For some reason society as a whole has become so obsessed with instant gratification, that working towards a goal and gaining a sense of accomplishment in achieving said goal has lost all value.

All devs/publishers are doing is being opportunistic with the way they design stuff like cash payouts and rewards for mission completions in GTA. Forza 5 another is a key example; Turn 10's 'Tokens' were present in the past games but its seems that in 5, there intrusiveness has been notched up to a whole new level with constant reminders and pop-ups. This is also reflected by the outrage from the community, that rewards given for completing a race were pretty much worthless. This pretty much encourages the gamer who perhaps doesn't have much time or patience, to spend somewhere up to £35 just for one virtual car.

To shorten, my opinion is that MCTs impede on game design, as devs purposely lower rewards and such, in order to press for players to spend even more cash.

Some of you may disagree, but i couldn't give a shit.

Also i remember watching this a while ago, and its pretty much the same view to what ive just type

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxFzf6yIfcc]Jonathan Blow: Game design: the medium is the message - YouTube[/ame]

Since microtransactions were cut off mere hours after it launched (and haven't come back as far as I know), it hasn't made a difference.

Those complaining about it making a difference on GTA Online are just trying to find something to complain about.

There back in full effect for some time now.

Wise words? Oh, you were quoting.

Himself... lol

Topic: DLC, Online Pass, Micro-transactions, etc. are all in a pursuit to squeeze as much money as they can out of the consumer. As far as people saying its "pay to win". This would be true if there were no other way to get said advantage like car mods, but that's not the case. I don't see where it makes a difference. People are gonna moan regardless, but had they not nerfed/tweaked/disabled every option of shearing/making money I think the outcry would have been far less.

I'd rather they wouldn't exist, but it doesn't take away from the game that they do.

I wish they never, ever existed. Retail game + decent DLC is all I wish the developers would focus on.

my opinion is that MCTs (micro transactions) impede on game design, as devs purposely lower rewards and such, in order to press for players to spend even more cash.

This, very much. Look at Forza 5. They increased the payouts due to community feedback. R* did the opposite.. The video you provided is certainly worth a watch.

Himself... lol

High Five! *CLAP!

I dunno, just couldn't get into it. I was only doing the single player stuff anyway, so that may be why. :p

I've been spending the last few days back in single player. So much more traffic! Hey, still mad at Jago? I sure as hell am! (Not even going to put the laugh face)

Thanking you all for your input.

Don't get me wrong. I love Forza (just like GTA), but just like you pointed out, in 4 (Forza), micro transactions made getting hard to get achievements much easier (which I think is another crap move). I'm just glad they did the credit update thing in December for 5 (Forza).