Anyone else absolutely hate Windows 8?

Tig 9 Rxd

I've bought 4 W8 laptops over the past few months and all seem to be complete crap. I can never access apps because it always says "Cant connect to Xbox services at this time, check your internet connection' same thing with Netflix and pretty much every other app but yet I'll hop Firefox no problem and have access to everything. And for some reason when I try to use Chrome when I open up multiple tabs and then click on a different one, tabs disappear. Its really stupid. After I try and watch any type of video online, after the video ends, I can't click anything on the screen. I have to minimize the browser, then maximize it again to be able to click on anything. Thats just a few things on a very long list of problems I have with W8. I understand that this is a forum for the Win 8 games but thats kind of why I posted here because I don't have access to the games because it can never connect to the games app. Very frustrating. Does anyone else have any of these problems?

Desktop, laptop... no problems. I've played plenty of games (achievements!). Husband has desktop. Both desktops and laptop have had windows 8 for over a year (and are all now 8.1).

If you've had the same issues on four laptops... unless they are the same exact models and something was faulty with the installations (as they do mass installs)... I'd lean more towards something else like ISP, router... I dunno what but not Windows. Maybe some settings you changed or were preset. Or something far fetched like you're at a college/university/apartment where they restrict gaming/streaming.

Sucks, hope you figure it out.

I can't help but ask why you bought 4 laptops over the last few months?

I've recently upgraded to 8 and have been having all sorts of similar sounding problems, pressing on chrome to open it and multiple instances opening even though I only clicked once. This happens every time. Multiple problems with limited connection which I have managed to fix. As well as downloading particular software and updates not completing for no reason. And the interfaces for accessing settings are just plain dreadful. Very disappointed overall with windows 8.

I have moved recently and have had 2 different ISPs, 3 different routers and always had the same problems. Spoke to some techs at MicroCenter and they said the simple solution was to sign out of my Microsoft account then sign back in and it would fix the apps not working. Uh wrong. Did it multiple times and never worked. And the reason I've had multiple laptops is because of the reasons I've posted. Why would I keep a laptop that has a shit OS and doesn't work on any laptop that I buy? I even went in to MicroCenter and was playing around with the Surface Pro 2 that they had and decided to try and load up the Microsoft Store app and the xbox apps they had and guess what? They did work either. Getting the same error as I'm getting but I opened up IE on their tablet and it worked fine. So that pretty much convinced me not to buy anything Win 8 again so I think I'm just gonna find a laptop with Win 7 or start using Apple products. When the Lenovo Yoga came out that was the laptop I wanted but I dare not touch it now knowing what I know about Win 8

I have moved recently and have had 2 different ISPs, 3 different routers and always had the same problems. Spoke to some techs at MicroCenter and they said the simple solution was to sign out of my Microsoft account then sign back in and it would fix the apps not working. Uh wrong. Did it multiple times and never worked. And the reason I've had multiple laptops is because of the reasons I've posted. Why would I keep a laptop that has a shit OS and doesn't work on any laptop that I buy? I even went in to MicroCenter and was playing around with the Surface Pro 2 that they had and decided to try and load up the Microsoft Store app and the xbox apps they had and guess what? They did work either. Getting the same error as I'm getting but I opened up IE on their tablet and it worked fine. So that pretty much convinced me not to buy anything Win 8 again so I think I'm just gonna find a laptop with Win 7 or start using Apple products. When the Lenovo Yoga came out that was the laptop I wanted but I dare not touch it now knowing what I know about Win 8

I had to ask about the four laptops. :) I was curious if you tried four before giving up, had a spouse and two kids, or some random reason my you needed four all at once. I hope asking that didn't sound rude, I was really just curious.

I do feel you on giving up on a manufacturer, software, service or whatever that everyone else thinks is fine and has no issue with but you can't get to work right. It's very frustrating. I hope you have MUCH better luck with whatever you decide to go with or should you try again.

Also a funny story about a MicroCenter (from WAY back). The very first pc that I bought and was all my own was an Acer [EDIT: laptop... only then it was a notebook, laptops were bigger... this was roughly the size of a full sized wire bound notebook only about 2" thick] with a monochrome display (hey this was high tech, it had a "HIGH SPEED 2400 baud modem built in" !!!). The MicroCenter employee told me I could buy an add on card later to make the screen color. No... no I couldn't... not only was there VERY little in that thing that could EVER be upgraded but the display was monochrome... there was no changing that, period. They didn't MAKE a display for it in color, much less an "add on card" for display anything at the time.

Edited by Deviantelf

• 3 weeks later...

I am not very computer savvy at all. I used my Dell computer for 12 years and had to figure out most problems by going onto the internet. Recently I was told that windows XP was expiring and I would have to upgrade to windows 8. Problem was that my old computer was not compatible to windows 8.

I bought my wife and myself each a new laptop that had windows 8.1 installed and we both are really frustrated with it. Most of the times I get so frustrated I just turn on my old Dell and use it.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had Win 8 for a little over a year and a half now and haven't had any real problems with it. I'd rather have the Win 7 style start button rather than going to the top right and searching for everything, but that's really my only complaint which isn't a big one.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought me a new HP laptop today installed with Windows 8.1. So far...Windows 8 is kinda a pain in the ass. But I think I will def get used to it. I like how you can use to touch screen portion of windows, and also the regular desktop form. So far so good.

• 5 weeks later...

The OS of Windows 8 to me is a lot like Xbox One or Windows phones- so if you've used either of those, it's not much of a learning curve. And as far as gaming goes on it, I've had problems with maybe 1 game on it. I've run games as old as Star Wars KOTOR, C&C Red Alert 2, Warcraft 3 and as new as Dead Space 3, Mortal Kombat 9, Saints Row 4 & the 2013 Tomb Raider with no issues.

• 1 month later...

I got my win 8 PC for free, so I can't complain, but it is glitchy as f£&@k and tells me about every 15 mins "can't connect to xbl" and just freezes on me so I just have to restart, then it's back to normal, so I can't complain as it was free anyone want any win 8 acheivement boosting add me & I'll be glad to help out, I think I have all the games.

Peace out

Its not terribly bad, I don't have any qualms with it, but it does seem its more designed for mobile devices than actual PCs.

Its most likely just your hardware that is the problem. I've never had a problem with my W8 PC, but my W8 Venue 8 tablet is constantly giving me problems. Currently, it just refuses to charge, so I can't play any of my mobile games.

Yeah, but basically 9 times out of 10, its a problem with the hardware and not the OS.

Edited by datmanydocris