Location of Alethiometer Symbols

botafogo007

Following is a list of Alethiometer symbols in The Golden Compass. You'll notice all 108 are not listed--that's because you begin the game with a few and some are unlocked as part of the normal progression of the game, though you aren't notified in-game when you receive them. An example of this is the serpent symbol you gain while doing a tutorial with Farder Coram. This list is of all the symbols you won't unlock naturally as you play the game.

Make sure you're getting successes when you fool the major characters in the game (like Ragnar and Miss Coulter) to ensure you get all the symbols. If you miss a question and don't end up with full success make note of it, and if you're missing a symbol at the end you can go back and replay the deception event. If you know which symbol comes from which deception event I'll add it into the guide. Thanks.

Big thanks to hamman41, babyfarmer, and especially Quito Santana and hoochli for the help in making this guide!

Jordan College

- Chameleon: Patience - this appears after you spit plums with Roger on the roof

- Candle: Learning - I got this one on my second playthrough after spitting plums. The only thing I did differently that I know of is I didn't miss with the plums.

- Alpha and Omega: Process - After the game with the Tanners you’ll be able to swing up 3 poles (using the sloth ability) to a ledge right above where you enter the college

-Serpent: Evil - After tricking the first servant there will be a man in black right behind you. Trick him to gain this symbol

-Cornucopia: Autumn - after talking to the master you can trick the first servant again (the one where you got the tutorial on deceiving) and get this symbol.

London

- Madonna: Motherhood - jump on the bed in your room right as the stage begins

- Apple: Vanity - use the Ermine insight ability to look at the apple on the dresser (with the mirror in front of it)

- Tree: Firmness - As you leave your room look out the window next to it at the tree using the insight ability

- Baby: The Future - you’ll gain this after fighting the monkey (I think you can’t miss with the vases in order for it to appear)

- Dolphin: Water - After fighting the monkey you can go downstairs and find the tub stopper right at the bottom. Take it back to your room, fill the tub with water, and use insight on the dolphin once its full

- Walled Garden: Innocence - you’ll get this after hiding (in the fireplace) from the maid

- Marionette: Obedience - after hiding from the maid use insight on the marionette (puppet) next to the fireplace

-Owl: Night - after the maid opens the doors and you go outside to the balcony, look for a green spot on the balcony and use Y to interact. Then use insight on the owl statue

Noorderlicht Day

-Bird : The Soul - Right when you begin use insight on the seagull next to the man that first talks to you

-Hourglass: Death - You’ll get this while talking to Farder Coram (part of the storyline)

-Apple: Sin - Coram will direct you to use insight on the apple next to him

-Bread: Nourishment - use insight on the bread in the room Coram is in

-Cauldron : Craft - Use insight on the big cauldron right behind father Coram.

-Crocodile: America - on the large map in the map room (the room above Coram)

-Elephant: Africa - on the large map in the map room (the room above Coram)

-Horse: Europe - on the large map in the map room (the room above Coram)

-Globe: Politics - use insight on the globe in the middle of the map room

-Bird: Spring - you’ll find this on the ship above the engine room

-Dolphin : Succor - When you get to second deck after climbing over the engine room, use the telescope to your right to look out to the water. Use insight on the dolphins jumping out of the water to get the symbol.

-Sun : Day - Same place as the previous. Look to the top right portion with the telescope and use insight on the sun.

-Anchor : Steadfastness - When you climb down the ladders to mop, one side has a netting you can use climb on, use insight on the anchor that is just next to the netting.

-Ant: Mechanics - When the smoke stacks are turned off and you are climbing on the sail, go all the way to the top and grab the symbol.

-Chameleon: Air - Deceive Bram and you’ll get this

-Wild Man: The Masculine - you'll find this just outside your cabin at the end of the level if you've completed all the sailors' tasks during the level. This is what you have to do:

*mop up ALL the bird droppings on all decks. When you get them all it will say "objective complete"

*learn how to dodge from the guy on the front deck. You have to talk to him twice and go through 2 rounds with him, and Pan has to do it once with his Daemon

*save the daemon that's stuck in the sail. To do this you'll have to deceive the guy guarding the engine room

*deceive the guy on the rear deck a total of 3 times

If you're unsure just check your journal--it will tell you if you have a task you haven't fully completed yet.

The Inspectors

- Baby: Malleability - you’ll find this on the rear deck when the inspectors come

-Moon: The Uncanny - After throwing a snowball at the inspectors torch and climbing the smoke stack, use insight on the moon.

- Griffin: Courage - this will be above the engine room when you’re trying to sneak back to the front deck

-Compass : Measurement - In the map room, use insight on the charts in front of the big world map on the wall.

-Ant : Diligence - Don't get spotted on the deck at all and it will be waiting in the room with the inspector right when you walk in. Don't get caught by the last guard or you will respawn before it and it won't be there, if he catches you reuse insight on the candle and chameleon.

-Candle: Fire - Use insight on the candle that is on the table right in front of you

-Chameleon: Greed - When you get into the room with the inspector there is a chameleon sitting on the back of a chair, use insight on it. You can actually see it when the video plays of the inspector looking through things.

Trollesund

- Anchor: Prevention - When you begin the level as Lyra, walk to your right and use insight on the anchor.

- Camel: Asia - Opposite side of the street from the anchor there are two women talking, look up and on the box you'll see a camel symbol, use insight on it.

- Lute: Poetry - Use the insight ability on the lute in front of the Witches Consul’s house

- Cauldron: Alchemy - Use insight on the cauldron in front of the Consul’s house

- Candle: Faith - Finish the first part of the level.

- Thunderbolt: Chance - After talking to Iorik you’ll see this on top some crates on the way to the Magesterium. You’ll have to use the cat and sloth abilities to get to it

-Crocodile: Enterprise - In between the bar and the magesterium there is a merchant you can trick for this symbol

-Cornucopia: Hospitality - There is a symbol of a cornucopia on the building in front of the merchant who gives you the Crocodile:Enterprise symbol. Use insight on it.

- Madonna: Worship - this is behind a wagon directly behind the Thunderbolt symbol, in a sort of alley to the right of the Magesterium

- Tree: Shelter - Theres a hiding spot that is a large tan box on top of two brown boxes. Use insight on the tree symbol that is on the tan box.

-Walled Garden :Nature - Before you challenge the boy to a race, look up on the building to the left of him and you'll see a window sill with flowers. Use insight for the symbol.

- Ant : Tedium - Don't hide from any of the spy flies. They'll attack you--don't dodge but hit all button prompts properly. This will capture them, and once you capture all the splyflies (there are three) the symbol will appear. The first fly comes right at the start when you walk towards the town. The second one appears when you reenter the town after you had the chat in the Witch Counsil. And the final one appears after talking to Iorek.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Showdown

- Bird : Marriage - After using ermine balance to cross the first beam turn around and use sloth to whip up to the top. Once there use insight on the birds to your left. Don't get close or you'll scare them off.

- Angel: Hierarchy - This symbol will be on your right when you swing up to get the Bird: Marriage symbol

- Walled Garden: Order - you can see this symbol up high when Pan says he’ll make the crate drop. Climb up the crate, but instead of using pan look along the side of the building. You will need to first jump and glide (using hawk form), then quickly switch to the sloth and whip for the rail. From here jump up to a ledge where the symbol can be grabbed.

- Dolphin: Resurrection - when you enter the magesterium’s basement you’ll see a kids bunkroom. Use insight on the dolphin in this room

- Marionette: Grace - also in the bunkroom

-ThunderBolt: Inspiration - On the wall right behide Iyorek's helmut there is a Thunderbolt symbol, use insight to get the meaning

-Helmet: War - When you get to the room with Iyorek's helmut in it, use insight on the helmet before picking it up.

-Lute: Rhetoric - Don't fall in the water during the stage. Once you get over the boxes that are breaking and sinking there is one box off the side of the dock with the symbol on it.

The North

- Griffin: Watchfulness - Look through the telescope in camp and use insight on the sky.

- Cauldron: Wisdom - Speak to Mr Scoresby. Retrieve his knife. Then go and see lord Faa. Return to Scoresby and speak to him.

- Tree: Fidelity - Use insight on the large tree in the second cave (the ones Iorik can’t enter) when you’re fighting the witches

- Sun: Truth - When you reach the area where Iorik can push the bridge over defeat the 3 witches there but DON'T push the bridge down. Instead continue on the path and enter the first cave on the left. You'll overhear a conversation between 2 witches and gain the symbol.

- Baby: Helplessness - After Iorik makes a bridge you’ll enter a cave and open a gate. Explore that cave and you’ll find this symbol

- Moon: Mystery - in the cave next to the crashed Zeppelin there's some water with a reflection of the moon in it. Use insight to get this symbol

- Bee: Sweetness - in the same cave as the moon symbol. It's right above you to your right as you're coming into the cave, but you have to swing up to it from the other side of the chasm to get it.

- Elephant - in the cave after (not next to) the crashed Zeppelin. You’ll have to throw rocks to make a bridge to get to it

Camp Ambush

- Bull: Power - This will appear after the first flaming arrow attack

- Helmet: Narrow Vision - you’ll find this after the first sequence of hut fires, after you knock down the platform

Bolvangar

- Camel: Summer - Use insight on the camel drawing on the beach mural at the beginning of the level

-Compass: Science - Trick the blond kid in the middle of the room (between the two tables) after hitting Larry with the food

- Owl: Fear - After you enter the ceiling area, right before you crawl through the very first vent you'll see this symbol, which you can get by swinging up to the left

- Moon: Chastity - Right before you enter the 2nd vent on Bolvangar (that's the one with the fan above you), you can jump using the hawk ability to the symbol. You can't really see it because of the awful camera angle, but it's basically to the right of the vent and across the gap.

- Angel: Disobedience - after you hide from the monkey there is a piece of wall to the left of the blue tanks. Use insight to get it.

-Bread: Sacrifice - When you go into the room to find when the Gyptians are coming (Roger is standing guard) you'll find this. Use insight to get it.

The Rescue

- Camel: Perserverance - By the last guard tower on the left side

- Globe: Sovereignty - This will appear between the flamethrowers as Iorik is fighting them

Svalbard Courtyard

- Alpha and Omega: Finality - Find the prisoner’s lost locket by digging in the dirt in your cell

- Madonna: The Feminine - When the bear leads you toward Ragnar, look to your left. You'll see a dark area you can run into, and you'll find this symbol there. Do it quickly because a timer starts once you get out of range of the bear's light.

- Hourglass: Change - After getting the Madonna symbol move to the right of the bear. Further up you'll see a line of courage orbs going out (to the right) into the darkness. Follow them for this symbol.

- Serpent: Sensibility - After getting the Hourglass symbol stay on the right of the bear. Just up from it (almost at the end of the hall) you'll see this symbol just off the path behind a bear. You don't need to go into the dark for it--just dodge the bear.

- Cornucopia: Wealth - Defeat King Ragnar in the first deception game without losing a single round.

- Griffon: treasure - Defeat King Ragnar in the deception game without losing a single round.

Zeppelin Assault

- Sword: Justice - The first bear Iorik helps will ask him to help his brother, who is through the gate in front of him. Open the gate and save the bear to get this symbol

- Alpha and Omega: Inevitability - Right after you smash the flamethrower. You’ll see it on some tracks along with some sky iron

When you first start in London, there's an apple on the table. Inspect it ASAP because the camera angle will change and it will be hard to do.

I sadly do not remember which one it gives, I just know it's an apple one.

I'll try and check and edit my post.

When you first start in London, there's an apple on the table. Inspect it ASAP because the camera angle will change and it will be hard to do.

I sadly do not remember which one it gives, I just know it's an apple one.

I'll try and check and edit my post.

Yes, check my list -- Apple: Vanity is there.

Also, you can replay a level to get missing symbols later, but as far as I can tell you have to replay the whole thing, because I tried quitting after a checkpoint on a level and lost what I had.

Also, you can replay a level to get missing symbols later, but as far as I can tell you have to replay the whole thing, because I tried quitting after a checkpoint on a level and lost what I had.

I was replay the first level, because I left behind one secret object of your list, and at the same time that I catch the object, i did back to main menu, accepting the notice "you will lost every progress"

After, I load my savegame (3th level), I check the diary, and.... I have this object in my list.

Sorry for my english, it's so bad, i know xD

PD: botafogo thank you very much, for your guide is awesome, and so useful. I'm using it ^^

I'm currently looking too, if you don't have some that I find I'll keep editing this post

London

-Owl: Night - When you get the Hawk form for Pan look to the left and there is an owl statue on the ledge, use insight on it.

Noorderlicht Day

-Bird : The Soul - Right when you begin use insight on the seagull next to the man that first talks to you

-Compass : Measurement - In the map room, use insight on the charts in front of the big world map on the wall.

-Cauldron : Craft - Use insight on the big cauldron right behind Coram.

-Dolphin : Succor - When you get to second deck after climbing over the engine room, use the telescope to your right to look out to the water. Use insight on the dolphins jumping out of the water to get the symbol.

-Sun : Day - Same place as the previous. Look to the top right portion with the telescope and use insight on the sun.

-Anchor : Steadfastness - When you climb down the ladders to mop, one side has a netting you can use climb on, use insight on the anchor that is just next to the netting.

-Ant: Mechanics - When the smoke stacks are turned off and you are climbing on the sail, go all the way to the top and grab the symbol.

The Inspectors

-Moon: The Uncanny - After throwing a snowball at the inspectors torch and climbing the smoke stack, use insight on the moon.

-Ant : Diligence - Don't get spotted on the deck at all and it will be waiting in the room with the inspector right when you walk in. Don't get caught by the last guard or you will respawn before it and it won't be there, if he catches you reuse insight on the candle and chameleon.

-Candle: Fire - Use insight on the candle that is on the table right in front of you

-Chameleon: Greed - When you get into the room with the inspector there is a chameleon sitting on the back of a chair, use insight on it. You can actually see it when the video plays of the inspector looking through things.

Trollesund

I'm sorry I can't be more discriptive, I'll go back later to find out. When wandering around you notice several boxes and crates. Some of them have symbols on the sides, use insight to get them. Theres tree, camel, a few others. Also if you look on the upper parts of the building and signs that are higher up there are various pictures, use insight on them to get the symbol, cornucopia is one, there are a few of these.

-Walled Garden : ? - Before you challenge the boy to a race, look up on the building to the left of him and you'll see a window sill with flowers, use insight for the symbol.

The Showdown

ThunderBolt: Inspiration On the wall right behide Iyorek's helmut there is a Thunderbolt symbol, use insight to get the meaning

Helmut: Protection When you get to the room with Iyorek's helmut in it, use insight on the helmut before picking it up.

I'm currently looking too, if you don't have some that I find I'll keep editing this post

Thanks for these. I added all the ones you had except for Trollesund--I'll go through the level again and try to get the specifics of which symbols they are and where they can be found exactly.

Also, if you find anymore please post them in another post rather than editing your previous one so I don't accidentally overlook any you might add. Thanks!

Trollesund

anchor: prevention Right when you begin as Lyra walk to your right and use insight on the anchor.

Camel: asia Opposite side of the street from the anchor there are two women talking, look up and on the box you'll see a camel symbol, use insight on it.

Tree: shelter Theres a hiding spot that is a large tan box ontop of two brown boxes, use insight on the tree symbol that is on the tan box.

cornucopia: Hospitality The building infront of the merchant that you get crocodile enterprise from there is a symbol of a cornucopia on the building, use insight

The walled garden that i mentioned in the other post is for Nature

Trollesund

once at the docks

Bird : Marriage Once you cross the first ermine balance turn around and use sloth to whip up to the top, once there use insight on the birds to your left, but don't get close or you'll scare them off.

Angel : Hierarchy Just grab the symbol from up by the birds you just scanned

Walled Garden: Order When Pan says get close to that grate and maybe I can get it off climb up the box but instead of using pan look along the side of the building. You will need to first jump and glide then quickly switch to the sloth and whip for the rail from here jump up to ledge where the symbol can be grabbed.

Lute: Rhetoric Simply get across the whole thing with out falling in. Once you get over the boxes that are breaking and sinking there is one box off the side of the dock with the symbol on it.

Thanks Krazie. Alright I have five more left to find and I am completely at a stand still. This sucks.

Yes--thanks Krazie.

Also Quito, check www.goldencompassmovie.com to find the names of the symbols you're missing. It won't tell you where they are but at least if you know the names maybe it will be easier to find where in the game they're located.

Edit: I updated the list to include all Quito's new suggestions for the Trollesund and The Showdown levels. Thanks for all your help Quito!

After you shoot something at the red haired boy you can play a game with the blond boy between the tables.

If you succeed you will get Compass: Science

Edit: That's in the Bolvangar level

Edit2: I found a second one in the Bolvangar level.. before you crawl through the very first vent you have to swing up to the left, there you will get Owl: Fear

Edit3: W00t.. Still in Bolvangar.. after you hide from the monkey there is a piece of wall to the left of the blue tanks. You have to use insight and you will get Angel: Disobedience

Edit4: After talking to the boy (what's his name?) you enter some kind of dining room. Scan the bread on the table and you will get Bread: Sacrifice

Check the other post again, the first one I put up, there's a bunch for the inspectors and some others. Sorry for the confusion.

Okay, I think I got them all. I also got yours, Hoochli (thanks), and added a couple for Bolvangar and the Rescue that I found. I'm going to play through some of these levels again tonight, add what I don't have, and see if I can find anything else.

How is everyone doing on the questions? I'm missing some of them and thought it might be a good idea to have a thread listing what all the questions are and where they unlock (I know you have to do certain things to unlock some of them, such as try to open Mrs. Coulter's office in London), but I don't know if the questions are difficult enough to warrant a thread. Thanks.