Must-Buy Games of 2013

gamerscorhunta

Oh man, I wouldn't be sure of that! You never played Rayman 2: The Great Escape?

I've played them all. This is the best by a long shot, more creative and unique than any others. It isn't just a platformer with some near tricks: it's a fun game that doesn't just rest on its laurels, always adding new gameplay mechanics and just is a blast to play. The musical levels are done of the greatest levels of a platformer this generation ^^

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played them all. This is the best by a long shot, more creative and unique than any others. It isn't just a platformer with some near tricks: it's a fun game that doesn't just rest on its laurels, always adding new gameplay mechanics and just is a blast to play. The musical levels are done of the greatest levels of a platformer this generation ^^

:biglaugh I'll take your word for it! I've been playing the demo, and it's so adorable! Great fun! I might pick up a copy soon.

Speaking of good demos, I've also been playing the Diablo III one. Wow. Never played a Diablo before, but the demo was very addicting. Wish I could try out more than just two classes, but oh well. A bunch of people are saying the console versions are the most definitive version of Diablo III.

Diablo III for the 360/PS3 also seems like a must buy. ;)

Speaking of good demos, I've also been playing the Diablo III one. Wow. Never played a Diablo before, but the demo was very addicting. Wish I could try out more than just two classes, but oh well. A bunch of people are saying the console versions are the most definitive version of Diablo III.

Diablo III for the 360/PS3 also seems like a must buy. ;)

Yeah, I was quite drawn by that as well. I had planned to make GTA V my last purchase for this gen, but now I'm considering squeezing in Diablo III as well.

Yeah, I was quite drawn by that as well. I had planned to make GTA V my last purchase for this gen, but now I'm considering squeezing in Diablo III as well.

Seeing how Diablo III is doing so well on consoles, I wouldn't be surprised if there was another port to the PS4 and the One. Actually, I think Blizzard mentioned that they were working on something for Diablo III on the PS4, toying around with the PS4 controller's touch screen functions.

That's why I want to hold off on buying it, for now. Once the Reaper of Souls expansion comes to the 360 and PS3 sometime next year, and an eighth-gen port isn't announced by then, I'll get it for the 360.

Seeing how Diablo III is doing so well on consoles, I wouldn't be surprised if there was another port to the PS4 and the One. Actually, I think Blizzard mentioned that they were working on something for Diablo III on the PS4, toying around with the PS4 controller's touch screen functions.

That's why I want to hold off on buying it, for now. Once the Reaper of Souls expansion comes to the 360 and PS3 sometime next year, and an eighth-gen port isn't announced by then, I'll get it for the 360.

Sounds interesting, but apparently not only is the Xbox One release delayed for a year in my region, it seems the PS4 will be as well. Assuming they did release it for the next gen some time in the foreseeable future, it'll be a long while before I even get to play it :p

• 3 weeks later...

So far I've got a few must buys of 2013, especially if you can get a good deal on them.

- Bioshock Infinite

- Dead Space 3

- Tomb Raider

- DmC: Devil May Cry

I'm sure there are others but I can't remember everything I've played that came out this year.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is getting buried. Needs an update from gamerscorhunta!

I finished Beyond: Two Souls last night. Wow. What a great game. I really adored it. I think I like it even more than BioShock: Infinite. Beyond might remain my personal GOTY, I don't see much else coming out that strongly interests me other than Super TIME Force (release date is still TBA 2013, ugh), and Tearaway, a PS Vita exclusive. And I don't have a Vita!

Looking back at what's gone through 2013 before we delve into the next generation and the launch line-up of "AAA" games, I think I'm pretty locked down in terms of what I thought was worth playing.

The one game I think everyone needs to experience this year should be Beyond: Two Souls.

The runners up that are pretty awesome and memorable are BioShock: Infinite, and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (a strong HD remake, and the first Zelda game I've ever played. So charming!).

Honorable mentions go to: Rayman Legends, Outlast, The Swapper, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

That's pretty much it from me. I'm not expecting a lot from the early months of the next-gen/current gen hybrid scaled games. I'll probably get Ryse and AC4 next year when next-gen slowly starts picking up and I have a better understanding of hardware/HDD storage. And Ryse/AC4 will be cheaper when I swoop in for the purchase. I think they'll be ok launch titles to look back at once the X1 and the PS4 start winding down a decade from now. Nothing stupendous, but decent historical fiction.

Oh yeah, and Pokemon X/Y recently came out. They seem pretty great, but I haven't played them as I don't have any current gen handhelds. My girlfriend plans on picking up a 2DS and Pokemon X tomorrow, but knowing her she'll be immersed in it all day and I won't get to try it out. I want to get a 2/3DS for myself...but Tearaway on the Vita looks so good!

I finished Beyond: Two Souls last night. Wow. What a great game. I really adored it. I think I like it even more than BioShock: Infinite. Beyond might remain my personal GOTY, I don't see much else coming out that strongly interests me other than Super TIME Force (release date is still TBA 2013, ugh), and Tearaway, a PS Vita exclusive. And I don't have a Vita!

Really!? Now I'm kind of interested. I often agree with your opinions on games/music/television/movies on the site so this is a ringing endorsement. I had Beyond Two Souls pre-ordered but backed out on release day after the mixed reviews and decided to wait until I can scoop it up for cheap. You put it above Bioshock Infinite huh? That's a bold statement sir!

Edited by WalterWhite

Reviews for Beyond: Two Souls are way to mixed for me to even bother watching a Let's Play of it on YouTube.

Honestly just seems like a glorified movie...just like Heavy Rain did.

And I'd hardly say Metal Gear Rising is a "must buy", lol. My devoted, hardcore friend who is obsessed with MGS - more so than you - played it through and said it had decent combat and soundtrack but was not necessary as a part of the Meta Gear Solid universe.

Also, Super Time Force? Please tell me that's a joke, lol.

Oh yeah, and Pokemon X/Y recently came out. They seem pretty great, but I haven't played them as I don't have any current gen handhelds.

I have Pokemon X. It's one of my favorite games to come out in a long time.

I haven't had this much fun with a Pokemon game since Pokemon Blue. It's that good.

Really!? Now I'm kind of interested. I often agree with your opinions on games/music/television/movies on the site so this is a ringing endorsement. I had Beyond Two Souls pre-ordered but backed out on release day after the mixed reviews and decided to wait until I can scoop it up for cheap. You put it above Bioshock Infinite huh?

It's more of an "acquired taste" type of thing, I don't really mind the mechanics of the game just like I didn't mind Telltale's The Walking Dead or Heavy Rain.

Beyond is something that struck me as a more personal story of life and death. If you didn't like Heavy Rain I'd wager you won't like Beyond.

Ellen Page was incredible in this, I'd say she's vastly improved her acting and she's even more emotionally gripping than she was in Hard Candy or An American Crime. The other actors were fine, including Willem Dafoe (I've only seen him in Platoon and the Green Goblin from Spider-man, so I can't speak much for him). Certain segments of the game are burned in my brain, and I want to go back and replay them and make different choices (Homeless, the birthday party, and the mission quickly come to mind). I'm itching to replay this entire game in general and see if it has a different emotional impact on me. I don't feel like the choices mattered too much, except for certain segments (and that goes into spoiler territory).

But I definitely got a bit touchy once I finished the game. With BioShock: Infinite's ending I was all like wooooaaaah, shotgun to my head wow gee willikers I gahtta get to the forums and see what people are saying about the ending!!!! With Beyond, it felt like I was watching a single rose constantly blooming and shriveling up. I viewed it as an abysmally morbid situation, yet there was curiosity that began to reach out of my mind and I forced that curiosity to rip the rose out of the ground by the roots and I planted a garden of roses to take the place of that one fucked up abnormal rose. There's something unique to Beyond, and I think it's the one game that everyone should check out this year. It's not perfect and it's not for everyone, like I said before. But it should be something that promotes thoughts. After I beat Beyond last night, I didn't really care much for what others had to say about the game. I just went out for a walk a few hours ago and didn't think of much else other than what I experienced. I feel like I've not only received a new perception on what I should expect from a game, but I've gained another view on how I perceive a human lifespan. It was so morbid, yet so comforting.

Reviews for Beyond: Two Souls are way to mixed for me to even bother watching a Let's Play of it on YouTube.

Honestly just seems like a glorified movie...just like Heavy Rain did.

That was part of the appeal for me. People poo pooed all over Only God Forgives (Refn-Gosling duo work from this year) and that remains the best movie I've seen in 2013. Granted, I've only like three movies this year (OGF, Place Beyond the Pines, and Don Jon) but Only God Forgives is one of the most unique films I've ever set eyes on (and that's probably due to me never viewing an "art" film).

And I'd hardly say Metal Gear Rising is a "must buy", lol. My devoted, hardcore friend who is obsessed with MGS - more so than you - played it through and said it had decent combat and soundtrack but was not necessary as a part of the Meta Gear Solid universe.

I put it in my honorable mentions category. Not really a must buy but I did like the "cutting everything up into bits" even though Raiden's character is out of whack now. A decent spin-off worthy of sharing the Metal Gear name. But completely different from the Solids.

Also, Super Time Force? Please tell me that's a joke, lol.

Nah, Capybara is awesome. I should probably get to playing Clash of Heroes, I've heard a bunch of good things about it. I'm really excited for Below on the Xbox One, but Super TIME Force is Capybara's current push to the finish line product. I've got some hopes for that. Not as hyped for it as I am for Below, though.

I have Pokemon X. It's one of my favorite games to come out in a long time.

I haven't had this much fun with a Pokemon game since Pokemon Blue. It's that good.

That's not a nostalgia thing, is it? I feel like the Pokemon games have gotten progressively better since gen 1. I've played through Red, Silver, Emerald and Diamond, but I haven't played from the first Black/Whites onward. Red remains my favorite, but that's probably due to the great memories of playing it so much when I was younger. I'd say Diamond would be my second favorite, but the story began to bore me.

Edited by LickableLemons7

That's not a nostalgia thing, is it? I feel like the Pokemon games have gotten progressively better since gen 1. I've played through Red, Silver, Emerald and Diamond, but I haven't played from the first Black/Whites onward. Red remains my favorite, but that's probably due to the great memories of playing it so much when I was younger. I'd say Diamond would be my second favorite, but the story began to bore me.

I personally stopped after Sapphire (Generation 3) as I thought they began to get progressively worse. Between the first three generations, Gen 3 is probably my favorite and while I don't care for Gen 4 or 5, I kinda want to experiment with Pokemon X but buying a 3DS is too much money :(

I really only have 2 games in consideration for must-buys of 2013, but take note I don't play a lot of games anyways:

The Last of Us & Bioshock Infinite...

Can't believe I'm saying this - but I can't consider GTA V a must-buy.

I personally stopped after Sapphire (Generation 3) as I thought they began to get progressively worse. Between the first three generations, Gen 3 is probably my favorite and while I don't care for Gen 4 or 5, I kinda want to experiment with Pokemon X but buying a 3DS is too much money :(

I'm soooo tempted to get a 2DS right now for the price point. I don't care much for 3D, I just want to play some Pokemon. Then again I don't want to buy a system just to play one game. I'd get a 2DS for Pokemon X/Y along with the Ocarina of Time remake, but I have no idea as to what other titles I should be playing on that thing. My girlfriend's just sitting here and smirking at me all smug like as she just got a 3DS XL with Pokemon X. It's torture, she won't let me look.

I also don't know if I should wait a while or not, Pokemon "Z" might be out next year. I've got no idea what to do.

I really only have 2 games in consideration for must-buys of 2013, but take note I don't play a lot of games anyways:

The Last of Us & Bioshock Infinite...

I don't really play all too many games either. I'm surprised with how much I've changed over the past year though. I seem to be getting really into them in general. I can't believe back in the early 2000s all I did was play Halo. Fantastic times, but I want to keep wading out into the world of video games. They're awesome. I love the interactivity and control you have playing a game as compared to watching a movie or reading a book.

I played about an hour of The Last of Us at a friend's, and I liked it enough to blow through a no commentary walkthrough on YouTube. But I haven't given it much thought since it came out. I forgot the bloody ending until just a few minutes ago when I had to look it up because I realized how much I forgot. If there's anything I do remember about The Last of Us it would be

1. The Ellen Page scandal

2. Winter

3. Fucking giraffes

Can't believe I'm saying this - but I can't consider GTA V a must-buy.

Color me astonished!

Edited by LickableLemons7

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so sorry I have let this slide a little. State soccer club has really been kicking my schedule around lately!

So ever since my last update, I have had a handful of fantastic games to play. Obviously, Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto V has impressed me to colossal lengths. The console port of Diablo III also really left a better impression on me than the PC version, correcting nearly all the biggest issues with it. The first LEGO title I've ever included in a Must-Buy list, LEGO Marvel Super Heroes is the surprising hit to come out of Telltale Games' studioheads. Finally, the HD remake of Wind Waker, the most polarizing Zelda title ever released, graced Wii U owners with improvements over the original and a revamped graphical output.

Again, sorry for the long lapse of time with nothing going on. I appreciate the on-going support from you guys so much and you guys are what keep me making these!

I played about an hour of The Last of Us at a friend's, and I liked it enough to blow through a no commentary walkthrough on YouTube. But I haven't given it much thought since it came out. I forgot the bloody ending until just a few minutes ago when I had to look it up because I realized how much I forgot. If there's anything I do remember about The Last of Us it would be

1. The Ellen Page scandal

2. Winter

3. Fucking giraffes

LOL. Well, the ending to me is extremely memorable. Everything in between I have forgotten too, kinda.

Color me astonished!

:eek: Right? I mean, the game is great in the Single Player, but it's definitely not anything that NEEDS to be played.