is this a good game ???

jaferris

If you're a fan of the movie and books it might be worth checking out, but on it's own merit it's not a very good game. The graphics aren't really that good and the gameplay is pretty poor IMO. Fighting with Iorik is kind of fun, but that's only a small part of the game, and the rest of the time you're fighting a horrendous camera angle as Lyra or playing annoying mini games in order to deceive people and progress in the game.

The collectibles are kinda cool and a nice touch, and really the only reason to play the game.

A really poor game. Graphics are eh....okay. The game is very slow paced and it is very easy. You spend most of your time running around looking for things and engaging in tedious mini games. I would check this one out if your into achievements but other than that I would say leave it alone.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry for bringing this up, this thread being so old but...

For the ones who actually read the books (and probably where disappointed with the movie), PLAY THIS GAME!!!!

I come here to see other players who read the book's opinion and I only find them ASKING if it's worth playing, and the only ones who answer are the ones who just rent it for achievements, the same ones who probably rented Jumper and Avatar, the ones who don't care a thing about His Dark Materials.

Yeah, the graphics aren't great but this is a Playstation 2 game.

The gameplay isn't the best, but it's not the worst either.

The story is WAY more faithful to the book than the movie, it even has deleted scenes from the movie (it has THE END of the book! Apparently this was supposed to be in the movie after all, but the studio didn't want it). It's kind of a director's cut of what the movie should have been :p

And about all the minigames people here hate... Well, I like it. Because they're minigames for deceiving people, and "deceiving" is what Lyra Silvertongue knows best, it makes all sense! I loved spitting seeds to the scholars heads in Jordan college, I loved cleaning bird poop with a mop, I loved throwing hard cakes at the butlers.

Everyone's crazy about the parts when you're Iorek, but that's just another action game... I liked the parts when you're Lyra more. It's kind of an adventure game, almost like a point-and-click genre.

Actually, the only things that annoy me are the levels when you're Iorek and have to fight with the witches (they're nearly impossible to hit!), and TWO parts in the whole game (and this game is gigantic) where you have to jump through platforms in the water and vents. Lol the only parts I don't like are the action parts :p

Anyway, the game is much more faithful to the book than the movie, it's kind of a tie in between the two, and ads some features which go very well with the story, like the level where you have to hide from the inspectors who are searching for you in the Gyptians boat, after Mrs. Coulter send those mechanic bugs to find you.

If you're a fan of the series, play it. If you're not well... It depends, if you like easy 1000 action games, you won't like this. But if you like a more slow paced game, like JRPGs or Point-and-Clicks, go for it.

This is probably the best "movie game" ever! (I reeeaaaaly liked this!) XD

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

The levels of playing Lyra are really pretty good, though probably too easy for most gamers. Gameplay with Lyra reminded me of playing Jade in Beyond Good and Evil.

The levels of playing the polar bear really stunk, mainly because of the clunky/unresponsive controls.

And then there are the deception mini-games. The nature of the mini-games is so far removed from the look, feel, and story of the game that they took me completely out of the game experience. Fortunately this really isn't a big part of the game.

Over all, I give it a 7 of 10.

A very easy 1,000gp as well.

Edited by EXM9000

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...