Precious Medal Guide

agentnnc

When I made this post I did not know about the character limit. I have since run out of space to complete the guide in an organized manner. Please use the new thread located here.

General strategies:

Bandmate fire pong:

While I haven't been able to pull this off on any blitz songs yet, I find it's great for gold starring DLC. Choose bandmate, fire notes and the instrument with the highest note density. Build up overdrive and multipliers as usual and when you see that you have a fire note coming up near your super instrument, send your bandmate to the super instrument and take over and adjacent lane. Since fire notes typically go only one lane left or right you should be playing high speed ping pong after a few seconds and really horde in the points.

Bottle Rocket Spamming:

Devola, and a few others have reported that this is a good strategy to gold star a few songs.

My power-up combo is Bottle Rocket / Blast Notes / Super _____. I change super instruments according to song, usually by which part is the most difficult. However sometimes that is not always the case and I will switch to an instrument that is consistently playing throughout the song. I also like to use Super Vocals a lot because it keeps me close to the keyboard which I tend to forget about. Plus vocals are pretty prominent in every song. My strategy is to build up my multipliers instantly (obviously) and go for overdrive and blast notes. I use my Bottle Rockets as soon as I can so I can jack up my multipliers before the first check point. Once all the multipliers are maxed I start hoarding overdrive and stick to the track I have super instrument on, only leaving to get overdrive (if I'm full I shoot off a Bottle Rocket before finishing the phrase so I stay maxed) and Blast Notes. Once I pass a checkpoint I stick to my super instruments lane and go crazy on Bottle Rockets, still making sure I collect overdrive and hitting blast notes when possible. You can raise all your multipliers pretty quick when spamming Bottle Rockets. Then once your maxed again you go back to hoarding and wait for the the next checkpoint and repeat. Sometimes this works perfectly and you never have to leave your super instrument lane and others you may have to do a little maneuvering for some extra star power or manually go to a track to finish it up.

Specific Song Strategies:

This is under construction, if there is no explanation it is because someone has reported that they got gold stars but did not explain how. All cutoff values are lowest reported gold stars.

A Little Less Sixteen Candles

Cutoff: 159,000

Bottle Rocket Spam with super guitar or bass will get you this with time to spare.

Always

Cutoff: 276,000

Strategies:

Bottle rocket spam with super guitar OR

Bandmate - Blast Notes - Super Drum

Spread yourself across the lanes and feed them all about equally to just one below cap, intentionally heading for every blast note to ensure they all met the level cap before checkpoint. When lanes were fully capped, horde Jackpot and activate it in Drum Lanes. Towards the end of the song it's possible to manage jackpots for about 40-60k in this manner by full comboing the drum lanes.

Bang Your Head

Cutoff:400,000

Power ups: Jackpot - Blast Notes - Super Guitar

One important note, you can only get vocals up x2 on whatever your meter is before the second guitar solo (the vocals will go 'ahahaha' as indication) so don't worry if you can't find out why you can't max out here.

You'll need to do a lot of switching, going for blast notes whenever possible, and hording overdrive, use it on Pro Guitar path whenever it's full after getting all instruments to max before the gate, in that regard you should focus on guitar last for this reason.

Before the end, stay with Super Guitar, if you have energy from the solo don't use it until after the trills to get the points from the sustains here. Do not be tempted to go over to bass, it's not necessary.

Cult of Personality

Cutoff: 369,000

Power ups: Road Rage - Blast Notes - Super Guitar

When you're ready to deploy road rage go in the drum lane so it starts from vocals giving you more points for each use.

Death on Two Legs

Cutoff:239,611

Power ups:

Diamond Eyes

Cutoff: 432,000

Bass is important after the intro, and at one other part (can't remember where). Keyboard/vocals are pretty consistent throughout so you can go for those after bass/drums. Getting 20k bonus on the guitar solo isn't required to get the cutoff, but it's pretty easy once you get the double strum in mind.

For the final section, grab as much energy (max if possible) while staying on your Super instrument. Only do this once to rack up some more points.

Give It Away - Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Cutoff: 280,224

Power ups:

I'm Still Standing - Elton Jogn

Cutoff: 235,000

Power ups: Bottle Rocket - Blast Notes - Super Guitar

This one is easy to do with the bottle rocket spamming method which is explained in the general strategies section.

Jessie's Girl

Cutoff: 172,000

Power ups:

Jungle Boogie

Cutoff: 172,000

Power ups:Bottle Rocket - Blast Notes - Super Guitar

This one is easy to do with the bottle rocket spamming method which is explained in the general strategies section.

Kids in the Street

Cutoff: 323,000

Power ups:

Moves Like Jagger

Cutoff: 206,000

Power ups:

Once Bitten Twice Shy

Cutoff: 379,000

Power ups:

One Week

Cutoff: 148 000

Power ups: Bottle Rocket - Blast Notes - Super Vocals

I managed to use the method above to gold star it very easily. I believe I had a full checkpoint before the song finished. Vocals in this song are in huge supply which should allow you to rack in at least 20 000 with the super vocals power up. I tended to wait until I passes the sections I destroyed with Bottle Rockets before launching another one.

Pumped Up Kicks

Cutoff: 196,325

Power ups: Bandmate - Blast Notes - Super Vocals

See Raise your glass for strategy description

Raise Your Glass

Cutoff: 144,462

Power ups: Bandmate - Blast Notes - Super Vocals

For these songs I spread myself across the lanes and fed them all about equally to just one below cap, intentionally heading for every blast note to ensure they all met the level cap before checkpoint. Blast notes tend to level cap lanes very easily if you prime them to one or to below cap and play damage control as necessary. Unleashed bandmate on Vocal Track on a regular basis.

Shine

Cutoff: 295,000

Power ups:

Shout

Cutoff: 503,702

Power ups: Jackpot - Blast Notes - Super Guitar

At the beginning you want to get vocals up to x4 then focus on drums and bass to get the x2. Before the keys solo you want to use jackpot as much as you can, i found the most useful instrument is drums. Using jackpot on the keys and guitar solo also helps with the points and you should get the 20k for 100%. Max out your energy and at the chords for guitar use it. I got between 60 and 80 thousand points doing that which adds up.

Sing

Cutoff: 323,939

Power ups:

So Far Away

Cutoff: 298 000

Note: This strategy requires a good deal of accuracy.

You'll want to be switching between paths for overdrive energy, as always. Always stay near the keyboard when it shows up, jumping to vocals when a long note appears on keyboard. Always use Road Rage whenever possible when all instruments are in play, you'll get some track multipliers which gives you more room to spare jumping from keyboard to drums.

After the second solo, both the drums and keyboard will show up. Go for keyboard as soon as possible, play every note until the bass shows up, play bass up to max multiplier, switch back to keyboard straight after. Use Road Rage to get the drum notes, while you switch between keyboard/bass and then quickly run up to drums. After this, continue as normal, but keep to your Super instrument about 40 seconds before the end. You'll probably need to milk as many points at this moment, and track multiplier should not be a concern if you're playing effectively.

Spoonman

Cutoff: 325,847

Power ups:

Stronger

Cutoff: 189,000

Power ups: Bottle Rocket - Blast Notes - Super Guitar

Use the Bottle Rocket Spamming Method outlined above but try to conserve rockets for when the keys, bass and guitar go crazy like at the beginning. The song ends with a section like this so try to keep two bottle rockets for that if you can.

These Days

Cutoff: 333,000

Power ups:

The Wicker Man

Cutoff: 421,000

We Are Young

Cutoff: 214,000

Power ups:

Edited by agentnnc

I'm taking quick notes on cutoffs every time I'm near them (usually quick grab the score that shows up with the gold star as indication). I've listed what powerups I used, but you can change the Blast Notes for Follow Notes and such.

A Little Less Sixteen Candles... - 159,000 (exact cutoff) (Bottle Rocket/Blast Notes/Super Guitar)

Once Bitten Twice Shy - 379,000 (exact cutoff) (Road Rage/Runaway Notes/Super Guitar)

Kids In The Street - 323,000 (exact cutoff) (Road Rage/Blast Notes/Super Guitar)

So Far Away - 298,000 (exact cutoff) (Road Rage/Blast Notes/Super Guitar)

Shine - 295,000 (exact cutoff) (Road Rage/Blast Notes/Super Guitar)

I'm still going to be running through for gold star I haven't reached yet, so I'll be updating after each song.

For 'So Far Away', you'll want to be switching between paths for overdrive energy, as always. Always stay near the keyboard when it shows up, jumping to vocals when a long note appears on keyboard. Always use Road Rage whenever possible when all instruments are in play, you'll get some track multipliers which gives you more room to spare jumping from keyboard to drums.

After the second solo(?), both the drums and keyboard will show up. Go for keyboard as soon as possible, play every note until the bass shows up, play bass up to max multiplier, switch back to keyboard straight after. Use Road Rage to get the drum notes, while you switch between keyboard/bass and then quickly run up to drums. After this, continue as normal, but keep to your Super instrument about 40 seconds before the end. You'll probably need to milk as many points at this moment, and track multiplier should not be a concern if you're playing effectively.

Edited by hoshinosenshi

I can confirm So Far Away being 298,000. I hit 290,000 at the end of the song and the end bonus bumped me up to it.

EDIT: For Spoonman, I found it better to use Super Bass, Blast Notes, and Road Rage. The bass solo is the easiest to get 100% for the 20k points, and it's the longest in the song.

EDIT2: Diamond Eyes I got somewhere between 420-430k.

Edited by russianfork

The exact one for Stronger is 189,000. Getting gold stars on that one is easy with the Bottle Rockets, Blast Notes, and for some reason I found I could only do it with Super Keys. I think the long two-note sustains rack up a lot of points when you can hold them down. There's also a lot of sections with plenty of fast guitar, bass and keys notes going all at the same time.

Also I got gold on Jungle Boogie about a thousand points less than where you did, and I think there was still a lot of time left in the song so there is a lot of leeway on that song at least.

Sing (My Chemical Romance) - 294-298,000 cutoff. (Bottle Rocket/Blast Notes/Super Guitar)

I just grabbed this with point bonuses at the end so it's around there. Stay with bass/keyboard as much as possible, as they both tend to get breaks before chorus sections.

At the end, head for the drums, keep playing and make sure you know when to head straight to keyboard to hit the sustain note at the end.

I'm Still Standing (Elton John) - 235,000 (Bottle Rocket/Blast Notes/Super Guitar)

Nearly exact with the cutoff, but earned around there.

This song is pretty forgiving with the cutoff. As long as you spam rockets on each path, you will get this about 3/4 of the way through. I ended up getting over 300k without really trying that much.

Spoonman (Soundgarden) - 325,000 (exact cutoff) (Road Rage/Blast Notes/Super Bass)

Not really much advice for this, use Road Rage before the bass/vocal harmony that starts before the guitar solo. On the drum solo, you need to hit the note at the gate right before the bass solo to get 20k bonus, do not hit the extra notes after the gate.

Edited by hoshinosenshi

Not sure about the exact cutoff for "The Wicker Man", but I got golden stars with a score of 445,051, using Road Rage/Blast Notes/Super Guitar.

Cutoff is somewhat lower, I have 421,000+ but I can't remember what powerups I used, not that it matters much anyway as that setup is effective.

Cult of Personality - I got it around 369,000 using Road Rage/Blast Notes/Super Guitar.

I'll confirm this also, 369,000 defiantly seems to be the cutoff.

Edited by hoshinosenshi

For Moves Like Jagger, you defintally need super guitar because it's the only instrument consistent throughout the whole song.

I can also confirm that the So Far Away strategy works well for it. I'll test the method for Shout later to see if it works. I also heard that for the intro of it, on vocals go to the x2 multiplier and then focus on drum/bass because bass doesnt got higher than x2. drums has the most notes so you can get more points doing that instead of maxing the multiplier for vocals.

Diamond Eyes (Shinedown) - 432,000 (exact cutoff) (Road Rage/Blast Notes/Super Guitar)

Bass is important after the intro, and at one other part (can't remember where). Keyboard/vocals are pretty consistent throughout so you can go for those after bass/drums. Getting 20k bonus on the guitar solo isn't required to get the cutoff, but it's pretty easy once you get the double strum in mind.

For the final section, grab as much energy (max if possible) while staying on your Super instrument. Only do this once to rack up some more points.

Death on Two Legs (Queen) - 236,000 (exact cutoff) (Road Rage/Blast Notes/Super Guitar)

The intro is somewhat tricky to decide which path you should go for, I'd say avoid Guitar unless it's the only track remaining after getting keyboard up to x4. Bass and Drums don't have many parts and you need to be with almost all the notes to reach the max multiplier before the first gate.

Use Road Rage before the guitar solo, you'll get enough energy during this part to use Road Rage again when it ends. After the final gate (you'll probably need to note when this is), stay with your Super instrument, only go for the energy notes if they're next to your track. You'll need to get those extra points, the instrument bonuses should get you above the score as long as you're near the cutoff (with 229k or so).

Two more songs to gold star, and they're also going to be the hardest. At least it's getting easier with understanding the mechanics.

Edited by hoshinosenshi

I need Shout and Bang your head, you?

Same songs I need. XD

407k+ on Shout, which still wasn't anywhere near the cutoff, I'm guessing it's at 440-450k.

Bang Your Head shouldn't be as difficult, but that solo is just way too quick to play with the buttons, although I haven't tried it on RB3 so I have no idea how hard it is exactly.

I just got Shout. cutoff was like 478-482k somewhere around there. I used the jackpot/blast notes/super guitar strategy. at the beginning you want to get vocals up to x4 then focus on drums and bass to get the x2. Before the keys solo you want to use jackpot as much as you can, i found the most useful instrument is drums. Using jackpot on the keys and guitar solo also helps with the points and you should get the 20k for 100%. Max out your energy and at the chords for guitar use it. I got between 60 and 80 thousand points doing that which adds up.

Just need Bang your head and i Got the achievement.

Always - Score 334,695

Power Ups - Jackpot, Blast Notes, Super Drum

I spread myself across the lanes and fed them all about equally to just one below cap, intentionally heading for every blast note to ensure they all met the level cap before checkpoint. When lanes were fully capped, would horde Jackpot and activate it in Drum Lanes. Towards the end of the song managed to get jackpots for about 40-60k in this manner by full comboing the drum lanes.

Raise Your Glass - Score 186,950

One Week - Score 145,094

Pumped Up Kicks - Score 199,125

Powerups - Bandmate, Blast Notes, Super Vocal

For these songs I spread myself across the lanes and fed them all about equally to just one below cap, intentionally heading for every blast note to ensure they all met the level cap before checkpoint. Blast notes tend to level cap lanes very easily if you prime them to one or to below cap and play damage control as necessary. Unleashed bandmate on Vocal Track on a regular basis.

Edited by Shaynringan

I'm 95% sure that the cutoff for bang your head is between 400,000 and 405,000. I got 399,293 on my last run. No gold stars yet I was above The Duke on the meter to the right.

EDIT: it's 400,000. Just got gold on it and got the achievement. I used Road Rage/Blast Notes/Super Guitar. Just level everything as usual and when you're using road rage make sure you're on the side opposite of the side that has a lot of notes. I'm pretty confident you need to get 100% on one of the solos to get this. The last one is the easiest of the 3.

Edited by russianfork

Bang Your Head (Quiet Riot) - 400,000 (exact cutoff) (Jackpot, Blast Notes, Super Guitar)

One important note, you can only get vocals up x2 on whatever your meter is before the second guitar solo (the vocals will go 'ahahaha' as indication) so don't worry if you can't find out why you can't max out here.

You'll need to do a lot of switching, going for blast notes whenever possible, and hording overdrive, use it on Pro Guitar path whenever it's full after getting all instruments to max before the gate, in that regard you should focus on guitar last for this reason.

Before the end, stay with Super Guitar, if you have energy from the solo don't use it until after the trills to get the points from the sustains here. Do not be tempted to go over to bass, it's not necessary.

Annnnnnd done. Time to go finish all the DLC songs and that's everything. I'll update the guide soon. Thanks to russianfork for some of the strategies he provided.

Edited by hoshinosenshi

Damn, looks like there's a character limit to posts. I should have reserved a second one. >.>

I think asking a mod to create a second post for you (which you can then edit) will help. The character limit is a pain for guides.

As for accuracy and Blitz, honestly I never focused on staying in Blitz mode, you're going to eventually break the chain. I think if you want to get those extra points from Blitz, sightreading the paths before they come down to you will allow you to decide where you want to change lanes and hit the next note.

I think asking a mod to create a second post for you (which you can then edit) will help. The character limit is a pain for guides.

As for accuracy and Blitz, honestly I never focused on staying in Blitz mode, you're going to eventually break the chain. I think if you want to get those extra points from Blitz, sightreading the paths before they come down to you will allow you to decide where you want to change lanes and hit the next note.

While I lurk on the site and have been for years, not once have I seen a mod. Do you know of any? I could really use it because I'm filling in the rest of the songs and I don't want to delete any more than I have.