Dead Rising 2: Case West's tricky 'Handy Man' Achievement

QuiCkz AleX

The achievement is maybe not glitched, I saw different lists and there seems to have a misunderstood.

My brother wasn't able to get the achievement and we just noticed he was missing the "Laser Gun". We just did it and he got the achievement.

I don't think the order you use for the weapons or neither the fact to skip the cutscenes have effect on them.

Most of the list aren't very clear about the "Laser Sword", Laser Gun" and "Lightning Gun"

Here's a list which should guarranty to give you the achievement :

- Zap N' Shine : Floor Buffer + Electric Prod

- Sterilizer : Chemicals + Syringe Gun

- Shocker : Defibrillators + Medical Tray

- Impact Blaster : Impact Hammer + Blast Frequency Gun

- Reaper : Sickle + Katana Sword

- Lightning Gun = BFG + Stun Rod

- Laser Sword = Gems + Flash Light

and the last one, the "Laser Gun", wich is a combination of two custom weapons created before, the "Laser Sword" and the "Lightning Gun".

There are eight weapons, and not seven.

The achievement guide list the eight weapons, but the last one is mixed in the sentence, so it's not very clear

Laser Gun

Gems + Flashlight = Laser Sword combined with a Lightning Gun.

Most people will ready that as "one weapon" when it's, in fact, two.

Hope it'll help some peoples.

Worked for me. Kinda annoying. You have to delete your old savegame, and make all those new weapons, don't care in what order and skip doesn't matter either. :)

@Darth, no. Some cards remain gray, unless you play as Frank West in co-op. Than your card has twice the PP (which isn't needed unless you are below lvl 50)

• 1 month later...
Ok, to get this acheivement do this:

Clear your consoles cashe (removes any temporary game data)

Use a different storage device to create a new save file on

Make all the new weapons and the Laser Sword during case 1-2 in the order listed below (thanks to GuerillaTech)

Make sure the first item you place is the first item listed in the combo, e.g. put the Floor Buffer on first then add the Stun Rod

Don't Skip the weapon combo scenes!

zap 'n shine = floor buffer + stun rod

Lightning Gun = BFG + Stun Rod

Reaper = Scythe + Katana

Impact Blaster = Impact Hammer + BFG

Sterilizer = Chemicals + Syringe Gun

Shocker = Defibrillator + Medical Trays.

Laser Sword = Gems + Flash Light

Laser Gun = Laser Sword + Lightning Gun

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED

I followed this method (with the exception of clearing my console's cashe) exactly and the achievement unlocked for me no problem. Fortunately I was able to use my memory card, meaning I didn't lose any of my saves.

Great guide - thanks!

Edited by Riding Fakie

• 2 weeks later...
Okay guys, this worked for me and may work for you. when making the combo's for this achievement, make sure to apply them in the correct order for each card.

for example:if you make zap 'n shine, first put up the floor buffer, then the stun rod.

The other combos are:

Reaper = Scythe + Katana

I included the laser sword combo card because it is necessary to make.

One last thing that i also did: Don't Skip the weapon combo scenes!

Let me know if this helped at all.

Thanks for this. My achievement glitched too. I started a new save on a usb, placed the weapons on the table in correct order, but I did skip the cutscenes. I did them all in case 1-1 so people know.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There is a glitch on this achievement, I have made every weapon multiple times in the same play through and still do not have the achievement. I am going to try some of the suggestions to see if they work. And for the people that claim that this isn't a glitch and people are missing an item. I have made over 10 of everything in a single play through, except the laser gun (I only made five of those).

Had to do this as well on a storage device that did not have a previous save on it. Was level 40 and finished them all during Case 1.

Watched none of the cut scenes and did them in this order...

Zap N Shine

Impact Blaster

Lightning Gun

Reaper

Laser Sword

Laser Gun

Shocker

Sterilizer

ONLY built the new weapons, except the Laser Sword of course.

Order built does not seem to matter nor do you have to watch any of the cut scenes as people keep insisting you do.

Edited by J4ckyb0y1

• 3 months later...

This achievement was super glitchy and very frustrating for me. After not popping for me w/my Lvl 50 save, I tried starting a new game save on the same storage device and still no luck. So I popped in a memory stick and created a brand new save and after creating the 7 new weapon combos, it finally unlocked.

Btw-I also skipped the cut-scenes when creating a weapon so I don't think you need to watch them and the order you create your weapons don't matter.

I didn't have this cheeve glitch on me at all. I think there are two things that will make this glitchy though:

1. Any items you pickup prior to reaching your safehouse for first time won't count.

2. Make sure that you actually make the laser gun combo. Just picking up the one Jerry makes for you doesn't count. Jerry is one of the people you save, I think around mid-way in case 2.

Edited by JAW LV

• 2 months later...
Okay guys, this worked for me and may work for you. when making the combo's for this achievement, make sure to apply them in the correct order for each card.

for example:if you make zap 'n shine, first put up the floor buffer, then the stun rod.

The other combos are:

Reaper = Scythe + Katana

I included the laser sword combo card because it is necessary to make.

One last thing that i also did: Don't Skip the weapon combo scenes!

Let me know if this helped at all.

my achievement was glitched - made all combo weapons during playthrough but achievement didn't unlock

the i've made new save game on different storage device (so it was first and the only save game on this device), did not clean the cache then followed this guide but forgot about zap 'n shine so made it as the last combo weapon and achievement unlocked; thanks man

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This achievement was glitched for the longest time. I went back through repeatedly only using the needed combinations. I made every combo that you could. I even did them in order and nothing! I finally deleted my saved game and started from scratch. Within 15 minutes the achievement popped...and I didn't do anything different! Haha definitely just a random glitch.

• 1 year later...

Its glitchy to me so I guess I was one of the unlucky few :(

1.I'm not erasing my save files of this game if I can help it,I'm at 665,589 PP total I'm at lvl 50.

2.I've tried doing this achivement 3 times now. The third time I started on a new save file ONLY built the weapons needed for the achivement,only Skipped one weapon cutscene still no achivement.

This is getting on my nerves as I have 9 of the 12 achivements and I really want to 100% this.

Gonna try one more time then Ill just put this on my 100% clubs list anyway at 11/12 achivements,because I have built the damn new combo weapons yet the achivement is being glitchy about it.

Yes I know that Laser Sword and laser gun make a new combo weapon,and I haven't forgotten about the Zap floor buffer. I've watched two different Youtube videos and have even made a checklist on my weapons in my inventory I have all of them,and have made that zap buffer twice on my latest combo weapon playthrough.

I will try to

A.Make the weapons in a specific order as a post suggested

B.NOT Skip any wealon cutscenes. Thats hard because ever since Deadrising 2 I've been used to skipping those.

C-I will use my Cloud Storage for the first time ever for this game and achivement.

''I'll let you know how it turns out. Wish me luck. :)

Edited by Deadsea 1993

• 3 months later...
I followed this method (with the exception of clearing my console's cashe) exactly and the achievement unlocked for me no problem. Fortunately I was able to use my memory card, meaning I didn't lose any of my saves.

Great guide - thanks!

This is the legit fix, it worked. Took a few seconds to click the achievement, but it is the bonafide way to get this.

• 3 months later...
This is the legit fix, it worked. Took a few seconds to click the achievement, but it is the bonafide way to get this.

I can confirm IT WORKED. Hated this achivement. 200ed this game months ago like back in Januarey.

Just wanted to post it did work.