What type of achievements do you hate?

Aiden95

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ranked mutliplayer achievements.

If multiplayer achievements are included - I should be able to unlock them either with bots or local or non ranked.

Other then that...I have a love-hate relationship with achievements that require no skill. Such as the above mentioned press start on the simpsons game or watching credits. I love that its a free achievement...but I hate the fact that it requires no skills lol. Or maybe it was a game I just wanted to try out..and now I'm stuck with one achievement in it....*cough* game room *cough*

yes and....

Trophies. No but seriously Collectibles (especially in an open world game since those tend to have way too many) and online ranked achievements where it's hard to set up a boosting session for (which for alot of the older games you have to do since no one plays them anymore)

Yes!

Most of all I hate missable achievements. It doesn't matter that much if I love the game but if I dislike it i don't want to play it again for achievements :/ I hate glitched ones too which keeps me away from getting 100%. The most frustrating might be Complete the game in ... hours. That just annoys me so much...

Random number generator achievements. Having to depend on pure luck to get an achievement is the single most annoying kind I've ever had to deal with (currently trying to get one now..).

Online ones are pretty bad if the community is dead and DLC is involved, so you need to find other people who have the DLC and want the achievements to boost with.

Ones that require a tremendous amount of stars aligning to get legitimately:

i.e. Scattering Ram and Level A Charge on Left 4 Dead 2.

Air Ace and Express Checkout on Max Payne 3's Local Justice map pack.

There's one on new game Hybrid where you need to kill 3 people with a grenade. It's 3 v 3, so that's the whole enemy team in a single grenade.

These just encourage boosting and boosting is amazingly lame.

That said when I unlocked Strong Closer on ACB (Take first place in the final 10 seconds of a match) I must have given the air around me a dozen concussion from swinging my arms so much. :locked so there is a tremendous amount of satisfaction getting these legit.

Collectibles / completions with no area-based counters/checklists, etc

i.e. The Pangloss Statues in Vanquish

The use all XYZ weapon on a zombie achievements, wear all clothes and sprays paint all posters in Dead Rising 2

The 100 feathers in Assassins Creed II

I made a list of all the Zombrex posters I could find in DR2 on my phone. Turns out I found 32/33 and the bonus one that doesn't count, but I had no idea how many I was missing for the achievement or what general area I should be searching without looking at the guide. I'm cool with the lack of a mini-map telling me where they are, but pointing out the general area is necessary otherwise I just feel like I'm wasting my time.

With the clothes I've worn seemingly everything. Just a counter telling me how many there are and a checklist of those already done so I don't waste time re-doing things.

Any time related achievements that aren't Speed Runs:

i.e. ones that require you to be online at certain days or times

Batman: Arkham City's calendar Man (Aware of the offline trick)

Mega Man 9's complete the game 5 times in one day

I think a Brothers In Arms title needs to be played on a certain day of the year?

Also Ghost Recon 1's play online for 8 hours straight.

I suppose Crysis 2's Dedicated where you play online 6 months after your first time can go in here too.

Time consuming or easily missable if you were busy doing something non-video game related that day and God forbid didn't pencil it into your diary.

Achievements just for turning the game on:

Modern Warfare 3's Welcome to the Fight

Assassins Creed II's Be Re-born as Ezio Auditore de Firenze

Seriously? Who won't be getting these? Could be used for a more interesting novelty achievement, especially in an open game like ACII.

Online leaderboard related:

i.e. GRAW 1, again.

I think a NFS title had these, The Run's King For A Day probably?

These just encourage hacking.

Massive grind achievements:

i.e. The Seriously achievements from the Gears Of War trilogy

All Of The Above from Max Payne 3

Forza 4's Bucket List

There's better was of giving your title replay value.

I nailed a sweet slow-mo dive headshot x5 to get All Of The Above to pop, but if I missed that and just ended it with a lamer shootdodge kill my reaction would have been 'Pfft, least that's done'. I didn't discover any cooler methods or moments that I didn't already discover in my other 6 playthroughs of the campaign so this really didn't add anything for me.

Achievements related to peripherals I don't own:

i.e. Forza 4's drive a race using Kinect

Burnout Paradise's Send 50/250 mugshots to players online

Rainbow Six: Vegas 2's one where you add your face to a character using a camera shot

Self-explanatory. No-one wants to pay money to use something once just for the purpose of unlocking an achievement.

I'm cool with missable achievements like Arkham Asylum's Party Pooper (Just re-did the entire campaign for it) and Dead Space's elusive PENG statue (Missed them both first time). At least those were good games and aren't 40-50 long hour titles.

I EXPECT difficulty achievements.

Pretty comprehensive list there. ;)

EDIT: Another one:

Achievements for getting achievements:

i.e. Binary Domain's Perfectionist (For getting all other achievements)

Ghost Recon Future Soldier's Call, Answered (For getting the 3 Tour Of Duty cheevos) and Total Domination (for getting the 4 Domination achievements)

As with the Achievements for just turning the game on these are totally superfluous and could have been used for something else.

I'm fine with achievements where you're weened along to 100% Completion like the multiple achievements related to the Riddler Trophies in Arkham Asylum, the ones for upcoming Sleeping Dogs or medal challenges on various other games.

Edited by Hurricane Of 87
DURR

-Multiplayer Achievements (Especially ones that require playing every type of game, as unless you do it early, people only play a few of the modes.)

-Ranking Achievements (S+ in RE: ORCS.)

-Multiple Playthroughs of Long Games (Mass Effect)

-Kill Grinding Achievements.

-Halo Reach's: A Monument to All Your Sins. (Halo is so much easier in Co-op) (Also, When i left a level mid-way through, and finished it later, it didn't count!)

-Luck Based Achievements (The Fruit Ninja Kinect one, my friend got it in his first game, it took me 30k fruit sliced before i got mine.)

-Collectibles forsure i don't enjoy leaving the story to run around for hours finding pointless things which serve you no purpose.

-Multiplayer achievements.

-Hardest difficulty achievements somtimes depending on which game.

-Any racing achievement i dislike racing games entirely