How do you feel about the new voice acting?

TVthePunisher

How do you feel about the new voice acting?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the new voice acting?

• I like it.
    • I don't like it.
    • It's okay, doesn't really bother me.
    • I HATE IT!!!

Konami apparently didn't want to pay out royalties to the original cast of Silent Hill 2 (and 3), specifically the voice of James Sunderland (Guy Cihi). So...they recast it, you can hear the confirmation video for the HD collection in the first video...and then a comparison video someone made as the second:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX1GFlbICWw]Silent Hill Gamescom Video - Silent Hill HD Collection - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GKtsHcJOMI&feature=related]Silent Hill HD Collection Voice-Acting Comparison - YouTube[/ame]

I wish they kept the old voices. I've played the game with those voices several times throughout the years, and I'm just really used to it.

If there's no option to play with the old voices, I will not get the game.

Not saying the new voice actors are bad, but I'm just too used to the old ones and I know it's going to irritate me.

I believe, if they are generous enough to include the old voices, that maybe they should be an unlockable feature at the end of the game. At least to give people a chance to hear the new voices all the way through instead of instantly switching to the old voices, that way we can see if every line is delivered one way...or another.

Now I've heard little out of the characters, Eddie sounds kind of bad now but...perhaps with the addition of sound effects, music, atmosphere that will change it for the better (or maybe worse). I think James can work and I can get used to Maria, Mary doesn't sound all that bad either.

I wonder how Silent Hill 3's cast will turn out, very curious about that.

I believe, if they are generous enough to include the old voices, that maybe they should be an unlockable feature at the end of the game. At least to give people a chance to hear the new voices all the way through instead of instantly switching to the old voices, that way we can see if every line is delivered one way...or another.

Now I've heard little out of the characters, Eddie sounds kind of bad now but...perhaps with the addition of sound effects, music, atmosphere that will change it for the better (or maybe worse). I think James can work and I can get used to Maria, Mary doesn't sound all that bad either.

I wonder how Silent Hill 3's cast will turn out, very curious about that.

I'm not looking forward to the voices at all.

Especially after listening to certain scenes like

*SPOILER ALERT*

James talking to Maria in the jail cell. You can't even really tell the voice actor is trying to switch in between Maria/ Mary which is the whole point of the conversation.

The scene where Eddie finally goes insane, you can't tell he is completely insane like in the original.

The voice actors just sound awful.

I'm not looking forward to the voices at all.

Especially after listening to certain scenes like

*SPOILER ALERT*

James talking to Maria in the jail cell. You can't even really tell the voice actor is trying to switch in between Maria/ Mary which is the whole point of the conversation.

The scene where Eddie finally goes insane, you can't tell he is completely insane like in the original.

The voice actors just sound awful.

The new voice actor's aren't BAD ACTING, they just haven't really... performed it in the way it should.

Actually, yes guys what merzitar just said is accurate for me. I don't mind the voices in that they don't sound TERRIBLE as voice actors...BUT I do take notice to the fact that they aren't conveying the correct performance.

I found something interesting and have been keeping with it since last night, The Real Silent Hill Experience.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMHMiyl4zLQ&feature=channel_video_title]The Real Silent Hill Experience - Introduction - YouTube[/ame]

They both talk about each game and offer insight into the storyline of the series as well as...where things didn't go right (Silent Hill Movie and Origins for example).

• 3 weeks later...

The originals, particularly James, are so ingrained in my head that it's hard to see the characters with different voices. It's a debate to get the new collection or not, since I still have every SH game except for the Wii one.

However, it may get better with the sound effects, like white noise, added in.

• 6 months later...

The new voices are great. It actually sounds like the characters are having conversations, as opposed to a bunch of individual voice clips being mashed together in editing.

The only parts I like better in the original voices are the hallway conversation, and the way Eddie says "POW".

The new voices are great. It actually sounds like the characters are having conversations, as opposed to a bunch of individual voice clips being mashed together in editing.

The only parts I like better in the original voices are the hallway conversation, and the way Eddie says "POW".

This^ and i agree about eddie saying POW too

I think the new voices in SH2 are alot better than the original overall. the people who made those side by side comparisons were very selective in choosing certain lines to make the new voice acting sound worse than it is. Sure, the new voice actors aren't going to nail every line, but I could probably find a dozen examples of how the original james sounds like an awkward, emotionless robot.

i will say they totally butchered the trick or treat message in the elevator (im pretty sure you get the new one regardless of what set you pick. the old one sounded great)

Edited by O918

This^ and i agree about eddie saying POW too

I think the new voices in SH2 are alot better than the original overall. the people who made those side by side comparisons were very selective in choosing certain lines to make the new voice acting sound worse than it is. Sure, the new voice actors aren't going to nail every line, but I could probably find a dozen examples of how the original james sounds like an awkward, emotionless robot.

i will say they totally butchered the trick or treat message in the elevator (im pretty sure you get the new one regardless of what set you pick. the old one sounded great)

This !!

The new Acting is great !! are you guys kidding me? the old voices are terrible and lame. The "actors" are just speaking some lines in a micro. but now they are much better!

While I think the new James sounds a bit more confident than old James (who sounded totally terrified and kind of like a huge wimp in the original), the rest is much better. People sound like they are having actual conversations rather than just spouting lines in a booth, and this is coming from a die-hard Silent Hill 2 fan.

Now the SH3 rerecordings are total crap. Just saying.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...