Cold Stream achievements

Carlo Monte

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... I'm not a fan of Cold Stream and it's a little disapointing that there wasn't any achievements added even if they would've been annoying. Aside from Death Toll and No Mercy I don't really like any of the original maps so I'm going to pass on this and just splitscreen with a friend who paid for it.

The problem is, this console generation introduced cheevs and this developed to this,

huge websites dedicated to this, and bringing out a game/DLC without cheevs doesn't make sense.

Thank you, somebody with some sense. Also just about evey person complaining about the people who wanted to see achievements added should stop visiting an achievement website. Go over to NFL.com and start a conversation about baseball.

hey douchebags. this site is called xbox360achievements. try to soak that in your brains before you attack members of this site for caring about cold stream not having achievements.

to me his is just another example of valves intentional disconnect with 360 users. it would have been so simple for them to formulate a list (i could do it in a half hour) and them to have a programmer implement it considering the template already exists. the five campaigns are awesome but the achievements would have made it that much sweeter

Thank you, somebody with some sense. Also just about evey person complaining about the people who wanted to see achievements added should stop visiting an achievement website. Go over to NFL.com and start a conversation about baseball.

hey douchebags. this site is called xbox360achievements. try to soak that in your brains before you attack members of this site for caring about cold stream not having achievements.

to me his is just another example of valves intentional disconnect with 360 users. it would have been so simple for them to formulate a list (i could do it in a half hour) and them to have a programmer implement it considering the template already exists. the five campaigns are awesome but the achievements would have made it that much sweeter

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m636tsDW3W1r707xz.jpg

I thought the PC release got two, Stream Crosser and Connecting Flight. I have to agree with the general attitude in this topic, a lack of any achievements is nonsense considering we were charged the usual fare for this (though I'm not disputing it's not worth only $7). I would have been content with just a regular achievement for finishing each campaign (5 campaigns at 20 G each would hit an even 1600 or 50 G if you wanna go all out like The Sacrifice and make it hit 1750 G, and is simple enough that I don't think 100%ers would really mind) and maybe even add one for No Mercy or for finishing the new DLC campaigns on Expert. Valve would have only boosted Cold Stream sales by doing so. I realize that they dropped the ball and were rushing the release to begin with, but the extra week or so of coding on top of months of delay would have at least made the wait more worth it.

Regardless, I bought the DLC within the first hour of its release, and I haven't even played through all the old L4D1 campaigns yet. There's just a lack of incentive without friends playing it or achievements and the fact that I already have L4D1 and have played these to death. As for Cold Stream, I played it once and it was fun, but okay. Definitely can see it was originally a community-made campaign, and didn't think it was worth a second playthrough.

Achievements could have added a decent amount more of playing time to this is all.

Edited by BobbyTastic

OK, so the reason we are all on this particular website is because of our beloved 'Cheevo's'. That said, I just play a game through now and if a particular challenge I fancy comes up later down the road then I may have a go at that achievement. BUT, what the hell happend to video gamers? Are people seriously getting all uptight about the fact this DLC has no achievements? Who cares! The whole game plus the other DLC has 1500 points a begging! Here is my view. 560msp = Good price and there is plenty to do with in the original L4D maps. (Perhaps everytime you waste your money on Avatar props you might want to complain to Microsoft that you didnt get any achievements for 'Putting on a T.Shirt!' :uzi:

OK, so the reason we are all on this particular website is because of our beloved 'Cheevo's'. That said, I just play a game through now and if a particular challenge I fancy comes up later down the road then I may have a go at that achievement. BUT, what the hell happend to video gamers? Are people seriously getting all uptight about the fact this DLC has no achievements? Who cares! The whole game plus the other DLC has 1500 points a begging! Here is my view. 560msp = Good price and there is plenty to do with in the original L4D maps. (Perhaps everytime you waste your money on Avatar props you might want to complain to Microsoft that you didnt get any achievements for 'Putting on a T.Shirt!' :uzi:

Well said pal, I agree totally. People need to stop whining and just enjoy 5 freshly designed campaigns that this game badly needed.

MS set the price due to the sheer size of the DLC regardless of cheeves.

Lol, moot point because I never buy avatar crap.

Anyways, I guess I should specify that I'd be fine with no achievements if there was avatar awards or something, an unlockable, or an in-game challenge counter.

My thing is that aside from what I said earlier (that I don't know many people personally playing the old campaigns, and that I've played them to death on L4D1 where there were achievements), there's just no tangible reward for going through these again, so I'm putting all my L4D2 effort into challenges with a reward until I 100% it (I'm 4 achievements away). It's a matter of finishing official challenges before self-imposed ones. Do you play an entirely different reward-less optional class in an RPG before or after you have all the achievements/rewards for playing on your first class? I was just saying, that achievements would result in a re-prioritizing of one's gameplay style. I have no doubt that I will play through all the campaigns on L4D2 eventually, but without that incentive I'm in no hurry until either I've gotten all the achievements or enough people in the community own it, basically playing it at my own pace.

This is all on top of the fact that these maps should have come out ages ago (Cold Stream did not need the year of development or these 360 specific delays), and Valve's original defense for releasing these DLCs at a price was that Microsoft wouldn't let them release DLC with achievements for free, but as I said above, I personally think the price tag is fine (makes me feel ripped off by what I paid for the Sacrifice (buying it twice no less?) and especially the Passing), just a matter of their own set policy. This is a departure from form for them (their first L4D dlc without achievements) and supportive of the popular notion that Valve has stopped giving a shit about their 360 community, specifically their L4D 360 community.

Edit: One last point. I think people really liked the creativity of the previous L4D achievements, and the specificness/originality of the challenges (as well as being able to claim that they succeeded in it). It's all about the challenge and proof of your efforts. If they were really that adverse to achievements, they could have opted to do what New Vegas and Dead Island did with in-game Challenges (I mean L4D already has an in-game achievement counter, which was nice). Or they could do a Halo or Call of Duty and have weekly community challenges, see how popular those are?

tl;dr Just because someone wants achievements doesn't mean they only give a shit about increasing their gamerscore by playing games.

Edited by BobbyTastic

Lol, moot point because I never buy avatar crap.

Anyways, I guess I should specify that I'd be fine with no achievements if there was avatar awards or something, an unlockable, or an in-game challenge counter.

My thing is that aside from what I said earlier (that I don't know many people personally playing the old campaigns, and that I've played them to death on L4D1 where there were achievements), there's just no tangible reward for going through these again, so I'm putting all my L4D2 effort into challenges with a reward until I 100% it (I'm 4 achievements away). It's a matter of finishing official challenges before self-imposed ones. Do you play an entirely different reward-less optional class in an RPG before or after you have all the achievements/rewards for playing on your first class? I was just saying, that achievements would result in a re-prioritizing of one's gameplay style. I have no doubt that I will play through all the campaigns on L4D2 eventually, but without that incentive I'm in no hurry until either I've gotten all the achievements or enough people in the community own it, basically playing it at my own pace.

This is all on top of the fact that these maps should have come out ages ago (Cold Stream did not need the year of development or these 360 specific delays), and Valve's original defense for releasing these DLCs at a price was that Microsoft wouldn't let them release DLC with achievements for free, but as I said above, I personally think the price tag is fine (makes me feel ripped off by what I paid for the Sacrifice (buying it twice no less?) and especially the Passing), just a matter of their own set policy.

Edit: One last point. I think people really liked the creativity of the previous L4D achievements, and the specificness/originality of the challenges (as well as being able to claim that they succeeded in it). It's all about the challenge and proof for your efforts. If they were really that adverse to achievements, they could have opted to do what New Vegas and Dead Island did with in-game Challenges. Or they could do a Halo or Call of Duty and have weekly community challenges, see how popular those are?

:goodpost :whs I agree completely.

What do you guys think are the chances of them adding achievements? Has this been done before? I was thinking they might since there's a lot of support for L4D2, but I'm not counting my eggs just yet.

We didn't get any added when they pushed the final versions out on PC so it's pretty much slim at best that the 360 will get any.

With 'The Passing' and 'The Sacrifice' they revealed the achievements before they released the content.

Edit: One last point. I think people really liked the creativity of the previous L4D achievements, and the specificness/originality of the challenges (as well as being able to claim that they succeeded in it). It's all about the challenge and proof of your efforts. If they were really that adverse to achievements, they could have opted to do what New Vegas and Dead Island did with in-game Challenges (I mean L4D already has an in-game achievement counter, which was nice). Or they could do a Halo or Call of Duty and have weekly community challenges, see how popular those are?

tl;dr Just because someone wants achievements doesn't mean they only give a shit about increasing their gamerscore by playing games.

Respect to you good sir, wish I could +rep you

The Passing probably had the best DLC achievements as a whole of any DLC I have ever purchased.. they were seamlessly integrated and varied and challenging. The Sacrifice greatly disappointed me in that there were only 5 for the 250 and all at the same extremely high GS, and the fact that they weren't even ALL CAPS like the rest of L4D2 struck me as very lazy. I'm not surprised that the trend continued and they didn't put forth any effort at all this time.

Makes me wish I hadn't kept this content in the back of my mind and checked on it intermittently for a year. The way that video games work now allows people to feel a certain relationship with the developers that they support, and I feel that Valve did not support its fans like they expect us to support the company. I won't be buying this and will put future Valve titles under more scrutiny before making an impulse buy.

Edited by SpKXmasSpirit

I am SO glad I checked with you gus before purchasing that DLC; I was kinda suspicious already because on the Xbox purchase site Valve gave so little info on this add-on and no real way to 'try before you buy' If I had bought this and then found out there were mo cheevo's I'd be far beyond pissed!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow this whole thread is fast becoming one big long cry baby whine.

Real L4D fans don't give a f**k about a few little pointies on their GS.

So save yourself 560 MSP, go away and maybe come back when you're all grown up

and learn to enjoy the game again.

Wow this whole thread is fast becoming one big long cry baby whine.

Real L4D fans don't give a f**k about a few little pointies on their GS.

So save yourself 560 MSP, go away and maybe come back when you're all grown up

and learn to enjoy the game again.

Well when you can buy L4D1 for the same price as Cold Stream and get all the levels accept for one, it kind of does matter. It gives you something to go for. Especially when there are other games you want to play.