Masterwork Crafting Items

SpinelesS

Ugh, I had a long response typed out but my page froze and I lost it.

Short response is that you will find schematics later on that have a Masterwork slot at the top which you can use for these. No point in doing it until you hunt dragons, as you will easily replace all gear with random blues and purples until you're decked out in all purples and start hunting dragons mid- to late-teens. The dragon materials are the best, and they will also drop Masterwork, so wait until then. Save things like Great Bear Claws for quests that require them (such as the Dalish camp in the Exalted Plains).

Let me know if you want more info. I'm just peeved my internet dropped my response :p

There are several materials that give you Masterwork Critical Crafting percentages. My understanding is, if it's a 20% item, you have a 20% chance for all of your stats on the item you crafted to increase by 10% when you craft the item. They also come in 30% and 40% options, depending in the tier of the material. It's a gamble - you either get the stat increase or you don't.

There are lots of other Masterwork materials that go in the Masterwork slot that give you known effects. Putting a material in the Masterwork Crafting slot is optional. Keep an eye out for items with "fade" in front of them when you collect loot. These work in the Masterwork slot.