Hard Mode Guide

Snake Pliskinn

Ok, so after reading the posts here and just completing the game 200/200, I thought I'd jot down some things that may help people.

Main Campaign

You will have to complete the game twice, once and normal and once on hard. The achievements do not stack. I didn't know this until I started on hard and finished the game.

Therefore start on Normal to get used to the controls and the game.

Due to the checkpoint system, normal is really a breeze compared to hard, especially once you've worked out each boss's weak spots.

Normal mode should take approx 3-5hrs on a first play through.

Hard mode should take approx 5-8hrs depending on skill, patience and a bit of luck. It took me 7hrs - but I started on hard, so you may do it in less if you've finished normal mode.

Hard Mode

When you see the 'saving' icon in the bottom right of the screen, you have moved onto the next chapter. Therefore if you die you will continue from that point. The icon usually appears just before a boss fight.

Take hard mode slowly. It's likely that you will repeat some levels several times - learn what is coming next. The bosses are not much harder on hard - imo.

Using Weapons - I found the best weapons to use were the Machete, Shotgun and dual guns. The mini gun wasn't much use for me because of its slow reload. Tip: Hold down block (LT) and you will fire the shotgun quicker. The shotgun is essential for the big guys.

Generally, I would switch between dual guns to get distant enemies and shotgun for those up close. Grapple (RT) small enemies, but dispose of the big guys first. You can keep grappling which will stop you getting hit.

As you progress to the right of the screen, fire your dual guns often. You may shoot people off screen and avoid confrontation.

Never waste grenades on normal enemies. Conserve and use on bigger enemies with shields or guns. Also, know where the grenade, health spots are - and plan accordingly.

Levels:

Surprisingly, some 'chapters' are pretty easy, even on hard. However, prepare yourself for some difficult ones:

Other Side of Tracks/Ride - These two early levels will probably take at least 30 mins each to finish initially. As mentioned take it slow. On 'Ride', be careful of gaps between train carriages. Always get to a safe spot.

Gears and Grenades (APV):

Extremely easy if you know the cheeky trick. Stand in the bottom left corner of the screen and shoot with your dual guns. You will shoot the APV off screen. You may get hit once or twice so keep an eye on the missles.

The Butcher:

Shoot the hanging meat and wait for the boss to throw his hook out. Wait for RT to flash and jump on him. Then Repeat.

Cassandra:

She takes a while to die but be patient. Keep block held down for most of the time. Shoot constantly with the dual guns and dodge her as she lunges at you.

Sweet Love - Gimp Boss

Easy boss when you get used to the pattern. Keep block held down as usual and dodge about until a guy drops from above. Keep the guy and the boss away from you and he should grab him. At this point RT will flash. Grab and choke him. Repeat several times.

Venom of the Vipers:

This level took me the longest - 1hr30m! The first part of the level is quite easy, it's the grenades which drop down in the second half which will get you time and time again. There appears to be no real pattern, however, often if a grenade lands near the left side of the screen the next may be on the right. Also two consecuetive grenades rarely land in the same place. This is a cruel level, but very do-able with some patience and a bit of luck. Once you get to the grenade guy, dispose of him and then proceed to the end of the level. Be careful and know where to jump.

Bad Confession/Bombs and Bells

These two chapters are both part of The Church/Angelo sequence. I found them fairly straightforward really.

Unjust Steward Angelo;

It's up to you whether you push him into the fire or not. He's very do-able just with your guns if you hold block and dodge his moves. However it's quicker to lure him to the fire. Block as he slides towards you, turn and use the chainsaw to push him into the fire. (RT) will flash like the other bosses. Press the button and repeat the sequence.

The Underworld/Leap of Faith:

These two levels are pretty short. I think I did them on my first try. As always take it slow.

Fertile grounds:

This will be one of the hardest levels for some. However, with practice, it's actually not that bad. I suggest you have a few goes at it to get used to the placement of enemies. When you get to Toro you are about halfway through the level. Toro is actually quite easy when you know his pattern. Wait for him to lunge, dodge past. Wait for him to run at the wall and he will bounce off it. (RT) will flash. This is your chance. Four of these and he's done! When he lunged I always pressed dodge then jump quickly because sometimes he pounds the ground and hits you. After beating Toro, the second half of the level is fairly straightforward.

The Final Fight:

The last boss has three phases which are all very similar. If you die you start back at the beginning. However, note that it takes some time to get his energy bar down - so be patient. The best way is to dodge him as he comes towards you. If you dodge past him, jump up and shoot him in the air with your dual guns, you should get some good hits in. For his second phase, do the same, if he overhead kicks you whilst you're in the air, don't worry, it only takes a tiny amount of energy off. In fact, i used this to my advantage. I wanted him to hit me, so that I could get in position to repeat the sequence. The third stage may actually be the easiest. Keep doing the same jump and shoot move, just watch out for lunges the boss makes - press dodge in the direction he is jumping to avoid him.

And there you have it - 25g for all your hard work!

Note: there are a few good videos on youtube if you're stuck on any part. Also, if you watch a vid, you can remind yourself of what's is coming up next.

Hope this helps!

Good work, going through it atm and is very helpful.

I dunno if this is helpful but i just dodged a lot on cassandra and hit her in the back after her jumping move, as soon as she jumps dodge to her last position and then hit her in the back. I used X, X, Y, Y. With Machete equipped and that seemed to work quite well :)

Another trick for the APV boss is to go to the upper left platform then throw grenades while jumping. The missiles won't hit you and the APV grenades will kill the enemies on the train.

I found a video on youtube of a play through on hard here (this is only the first level, but the rest of the game is on his channel): [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxcB88u8snA&feature=channel]YouTube- SHANK: Return Home[/ame]

Any advice for the On The Run level? (The one after Cassandra)

When you get to the stairs were a lot of enemies appear, even if I try to run and avoid most of them, I'll die at the big red sign.

This level is already pissing me real bad.

I used grenades on the slopes and then got to the top of the slope and then used uzi so I was shooting there feet/knees while standing still :) The guys at the top didn't come down till i had finished the guys that automatically run at you. Good Luck

I just finished hard mode, it took me 3 hours. Shotgun + granades and RB kill everything, u have to be patient. Hold LT+shotgun (faster shots) for most of the time. On bosses u have good tips in 1st post. Unfortunately my pad is broken and I can't get 25gs for coop. Good Luck!

Edited by Verg