Am I the only one?

Jewls

Who was completely blown away by this game? I play games more for the story then the actual gameplay (I usually rush through parts just so I can see the next cutscene and rush through the game in general so I can see the conclusion) and I have to say, I've never felt this way about a game before.

The entire post-apocalypse stuff is right up my alley anyway and this game takes it to another level with the greenery and the separate take on a wasteland. I just don't know how to express in words how much this game really set with me and how the ending continues to make me think.

Did anyone else enjoy the game and it's story as much as I did, or was it one of those games you just beat and forget about?

Spoilers Alert**

I'm saddened to see no other responses in this topic. I shall post my own opinion than.

Enslaved, while it's no major innovator in the videogame field, does have quite a few charming qualities to it.

Just like you, TC, I game for Storyline first and foremost. I love a good storyline, good dialog, and beautiful cutscenes. Enslaved honestly did not have a very good storyline. The way all of the elements of the world around you fell together was beautiful, but it left numerous holes that I can't help but feel like I've been cheated. The ending was amazing, but I feel like there should be so much more past it that we never got to experience.

You have this mysterious entity known as Pyramid that is capturing "slaves" and maintains its status as an unseen threat throughout the entire game, but not once do you ever encounter this group through the game. Instead you're left fending off rogue mechs, which I assume were responsible for the destruction of civilization hundreds of years back.) Pyramid, who claims to be preserving humanity through memories, is apparently controlling mechs, but building them as well (as is the case of the Scorpions and Leviathan. He claims he doesn't slave humanity, but yet they're called slaves in the 1st chapter. I believe he's sincere in his explanation at the end, but there are contradictions in the storyline, which is a fault on the behalf of the developers.

On top of that, the revelation of what Pyramid is doesn't occur until the final chapter, and yet there are so many questions left unanswered. What was pyramid hoping to accomplish? Where are the slaves going to go now that they're freed? Is society going to attempt to rebuild now that they're gather in such large numbers? On top of that, no clarity was ever given to the discovery of the memories throughout the game except for what Pyramid tells us. No story was told. No bridge was made to link the different visions. Just random clips.

You play through the entire game with all of these drastic details lingering in the background, but instead all you do is spend half the game trying to escape New York, than the other half finding Pigsy and gathering parts. Only the very end held any semblance of a major storyline. The rest of it really just acted as plot filler.

The game does, however, shine in the plot, dialog, and character development. From the very beginning you can watch and see as Monkey and Trip begin to trust each other. They forced themselves to get alone in the beginning and you could see the rough edges of the relationship based on how they spoke to each other, but as the game progressed you could see how they more easily bantered with one another and wouldn't hesitate to do as the other asked. The things they had to say were humorous, but serious and helped develop the characters beyond who they started as in the beginning, something very few games have ever managed to do right.

Like I said before, the levels were mostly plot-filler and avoided the big picture, but they also stayed true to the Journey from the West. It showcased the adventures of an unlikely couple and the perils they endured as they grew clsoer to one another. And while I personally feel the developers should've had more detail put into the Pyramid element, their ultimate goal was seemingly to develop these characters directly. They were the ultimate focus and Ninja Theory succeeded with flying colors. The dialog, the enemies, the overgrown and war-torn city and even the command-based gameplay all aided in building Monkey and Trip into so much. For that, I give them an A+.

TL;DR: Overall storyline sucked, but minor details were excellent.

(If you're interested in a good storyline, I personally recommend Advent Rising, Breakdown, and Beyond Good & Evil. All are on original Xbox. AR doesn't work on 360, but Breakdown does and BG&E is getting an HD remake on XBLA soon.)

• 2 weeks later...

I actually really agree. This game for me was epic. The scenery, the story, the hopeless sense of being alone. Earth taking back control and entire civilizations being forgotten and overgrown. Definitely one of my favorite games. I just finished it last night and decided to go through again today. Just finished it now. Excellent, now here's hoping they make another or more DLC.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it's just me, but i think it was a ''i'm doing the right thing, but in reality, i'm doing wrong'' scenario. Pyramid seemed to believe, that letting people live in a fake reality was right.

Pigsy was getting on my nerves in the start, but i didn't expect him to be sacrificed. I wonder what Monkey and Trip is going to do now.

A sequel isn't released in the near future, unless those sales drastically change.

• 2 months later...

I totally agree, epic game, never found it boring. Really connected with trip and monkey they were believable. Great voice acting and script and excellent in sync lip sync and animation. Just proves that unreal engin can handle vibrant colour. I'd love to see a second game set a around monkeys beginnings but without trip it would lack some of the emotion. Great game. Well done ninja theory

I gotta say I'm pretty impressed. I tried the demo, thought the play was fun and the story was intriguing in that bite sized morsel. Found the game on a price drop for $20 and snapped it up.

The play control is great and combat only gets more fun as you upgrade. The visuals are just wild. The detail the devs put into the atmosphere and characters, especially Trip's eyes, is pretty incredible. Watching her reactions to Monkey and fawning over him as they grew closer was pretty compelling.

The story only got more interesting as it went along, Trip, Pigsy, and Monkey are actually quite believable characters. And truly did want to see Trip and Monkey connect. Loved the banter between Pigsy and Monkey. The writing was great!

Pigsy: "this machine is greater than my wettest dreams!"

Trip: "what?"

Pigsy: "this machine is greater than my uh...wildest dreams!"

Monkey: "that's not what you said"

Pigsy: "Monkey let me ask you something.... do you use a lot of hair product?"

Even the majority of achievements are fun, well, except Tech Curator...curses. Tech Curator and Trip's Not So Sexy Robot DLC skin are really my only "iffy" points on the whole thing.

I felt the story was fine, it was a slow cooker buildup. They're sole focus was to survive all the while you're seeing bits of history unfold along the way hinting at something on a much grander scale. I though the ending brought it together nicely. No epilogue, true would have been nice to see some form of wrap-up.

One thing I found really creepy, in the "Old Battlefield" level on the way to collect the power cell from the Rhino lair/giant mechs hand.... anyone else notice when you get into the area by the giant mechs head the one remaining mech eye is still active and follows your movements?

That creeped me out. Very nice touch.

• 8 months later...

Well I don't really have much to say since you guys have pretty much done most the work, but all in all, this is definitely one of my favorite all time games. The beauty and scenery of this game is amazing, and the graphics have definitely made this much more noticeable - especially whenever you're in the water. The influences are very unique, and the characters even much more so. The humor created once Pigsy enters the scene makes for a hilarious addition, and as someone has mentioned, while he was starting to become annoying, his final actions were a demonstration of just how much humanity there still was in a world which at times can create nothing but feelings of loneliness and heartbreak for some, anti-social tendencies for others, and an almost desperate pursuit for happiness for so much more. Like I've said, all in all a great game, but my only regret is that they didn't release all the pre-order DLCs on XBox Live - I would have definitely brought it, just as I plan on buying Pigsy's Perfect 10 - all out of love for the game. :rock

• 8 months later...

I probably enjoyed the story as much as you did! I thought the story was pretty intriguing and I liked the post-apocalyptic setting a lot. The graphics and all of the details in the game were amazing. I just wish that the game could have been longer or something! Hopefully they will come out with a sequel or prequel to this game, but unfortunately I doubt that is going to happen :/

• 2 weeks later...

well,i picked this game up the other day for £6 and ive not been in any rush to get started.sounds like ive found a bargain after reading here? interesting achievement list too! gona get cracking tonight

EDIT: fuck me this games awesome.just started chap 3 and apart from having to fight the same enemies over & over im engrossed! decent looking story,great visuals & environments.cant wait to upgrade my stats make combat more fun

EDIT: WOW! just beat the game on normal and have to say that was awesome! this one definately flew under my radar,still got all orbs to collect & hard playthrough but with the guide the orbs shouldnt be an issue & almost upgraded everything so my hard run shouldnt be too bad (oh rhino apart,he pissed me right off till i figured him out) oh loved the humour too between monkey & pigsy,brilliant! although i dont usually buy DLC i might make an exception with this

Edited by bwfcskillsinhd

Just finished my first play through and I have to say I really did enjoy the game. THe story was a slow builder like others have mentioned by the quick gameplay and combat made up for the slow start up in the storyline. All an all i throughly enjoye the story and am looking foward to my second play through towards 100%.

• 3 months later...

This story has stuck with me long after I've finished playing, totally blown away. I played it almost two years ago and still think about it sometimes, I rented it the first time sadly but now I acquired my own copy to replay. The story was so intriguing, I really hope we eventually get a sequel. I'm hoping the DmC sales go well for Ninja Theory so maybe they can give us a sequel and not go under. :woop:

• 2 weeks later...

Just starting chapter 4 here. The gameplay is pretty generic and repetitive but the story is intriguing and the characters so far are ok. The facial animations are pretty well done. I just hope the repetitiveness doesn't get too cumbersome before I get through the story.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

After beating it when the game came out and now replaying the game but on hard all I Can say is this is one of the best games this gen.It pisses me off it sold so shitty, while shit games like COD sell 15+ million :mad:

• 2 months later...

I've had this game for awhile now and only played a few chapters in the beginning. From what I have read people really like the characters and the story. In fact that seems to be what people like most about the game.

I usually value the same things in games that I play. A good story with rich characters are a real treat. However in Enslaved I can't get over the fact that Trip basically kidnapped Monkey. People seem to adore her but what she did to Monkey was unforgivable in my book and made me instantly hate her. She first abandoned Monkey on the airship and then turned him into her slave so that she could get home. Oh, and I now she said something along the lines of how she would never be strong enough to get home on her own. In my book that isn't nearly enough reason to turn someone into your slave. There aren't any reasons strong enough for it pure and simple. :mad:

How did you people get past this very deep flaw in her character? Just curious seeing as I really want to like this game.

I just finished the game, and while the gameplay was correct, the rest was great. At first, I was impressed by Monkey's voice acting (Andy Serkis). I loved the story and I got more and more involved in it as the story progressed.

But, the real glorious point of this game was the end. I was blown away by it. Learning what Pyramid was really doing, I couldn't believe it. Sure, we do not have all answers at the end and it's the frustrating part... but when, in the end, you do not know if Trip did the right thing is kinda upsetting.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm perhaps slightly disappointed, although I'm willing to hear from you guys that this opinion is premature as I'm only nearly done with Chapter 2. I was pretty excited to play this game from all of the raves on various boards, and I can see why people really like this game - graphics, voice acting, etc. And I think the gameplay is actually pretty good. But what's frustrating me are two things:

1. The camera - sometimes it follows too closely behind Monkey, and as a result I don't get a great view of the layout and I don't know where the game wants me to go. Even worse, there are times when enemies are charging in to the field (as shown by custscene), and when the camera goes back to me, I have absolutely no clue where they are, attacking my companion. When I try to take control of the camera, it seems to resist quite a bit, complicating the issue a bit. I can only imagine this would be fatal in later chapters.

2. Controls. Combat isn't complicated, but sometimes I feel like I just don't have great control over Monkey, particularly when I was trying to navigate through minefields or through mech fields of detection. This can be especially aggravating given the limited camera control given to the player.

Don't get me wrong, I see why people love the game, but for me the above issues just make the experience less fun and takes me out of the moment.

Edited by mikeymud

• 1 month later...

Just played through this whole game in one sitting yesterday. Not done that with a game for literally years. Had been sat on the shelf for ages and I was not expecting it to be as good as it was. Obviously I'd read the rave reviews, but took them with a pinch of salt. Some buggy bits here and there, but if you can overlook them and the slight issues with the camera, wow. Loved it. Probably gonna start a 2nd playthrough tonight, that never happens for me. I nearly always put games back to pick up again later but I think I'll be starting this again straight away.

• 1 month later...